For a more perfect union (of one piece of fabric to another)

Old June 2nd 09, 12:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Default For a more perfect union (of one piece of fabric to another)

Those of you who have Janome 6600 machines, if you haven't bought a
single stitch face plate and foot I highly recommend it. I bought the
pair (packaged together at my local Janome dealership for $59) and it
has greatly increased the accuracy of piecing on the machine. I love
it. In addition to a tiny little hole for the needle, the foot also
has a quarter-inch guide. I have felt that the accu-feed foot has
wobbled a bit during stitching and the new foot has pretty much put a
stop to that. Yay! Now on to my next project.

Sunny
Old June 2nd 09, 04:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Okay. 2 things. I'm concerned that Janome's accu-feed foot wobbles. I
wonder if it's as simple as having a screw loose. Of course, there's been a
few screws loose around here for decades and somehow we manage but you might
want to see if there's something you need to give a tighter wind to.
Also: Beware. A single stitch face plate and foot will Not take kindly
to your swinging over to any kind of zig or needle position. You'd better
take a piece of that nice harmless blue masking tape and cover whatever
allows you to shift from the straight and narrow to anything else. Or you
could wear safety goggles and a padded bra. Polly

"Sunny" wrote Those of you who have Janome 6600 machines, if you haven't

Old June 2nd 09, 05:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
onetexsun

Polly, I have a single stitch plate and foot on the Pfaff I also use
all the time. Yep, at first I had one or two little "oopsies" but no
harm truly done. The machine just stopped and yelled at me. Glad I
don't speak Pfaff. LOL
As for the wobble on Janome accu-feed feet -- I haven't had that
problem. It's vital that the turn screw that holds the foot in place
is as tight as you can get it. I replaced the screws on both my
machines with big thumb screws that I can tighten till they yelp. It's
helped my accuracy on both machines. If you have a Janome and the foot
wobbles, I'd get it in to the shop. And if they tell you that they all
do that, they're fibbing. I will say this: now all my machines have
"accu-feed" or the equivalent of it. In my humble opinion, it's not as
good as an old fashioned walking foot. Maybe I'm just a luddite, but I
think the walking foot functioned better in terms of keeping the
layers together and feeding it all at the same time. Oh well,
technology wins out again.

Sunny
Old June 2nd 09, 04:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
I.E.Z.

"onetexsun" wrote in message

I will say this: now all my machines have
"accu-feed" or the equivalent of it. In my humble opinion, it's not as
good as an old fashioned walking foot. Maybe I'm just a luddite, but I
think the walking foot functioned better in terms of keeping the
layers together and feeding it all at the same time. Oh well,
technology wins out again.

Sunny

I completely agree. I have a Pfaff with the accu-feed foot and it is
definitely not as good as a Bernina with a walking foot. It's less bulky,
yes, but I find I have to work it a bit, bubbling the fabric in front, etc.,
to get a good even feed. With the Bernina foot, I just sew and it feeds
quilt layers evenly. That said, the accu-feed is fine for clothing sewing
(unless you're trying to ease the fabric!) and I like having it, but not on
all my machines!

Iris

Old June 2nd 09, 07:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

Sunny wrote:
Those of you who have Janome 6600 machines, if you haven't bought a
single stitch face plate and foot I highly recommend it. I bought the
pair (packaged together at my local Janome dealership for $59) and it
has greatly increased the accuracy of piecing on the machine. I love
it. In addition to a tiny little hole for the needle, the foot also
has a quarter-inch guide. I have felt that the accu-feed foot has
wobbled a bit during stitching and the new foot has pretty much put a
stop to that. Yay! Now on to my next project.

Sunny

I was lucky enough to get a 6600 recently and just (today) picked up a
single stitch plate for it. I'm glad to hear that it's a worthwhile
accessory - my seam width accuracy could use some help! I also like the
quarter inch guide that allows you to stop the right distance from an
edge. That'll be useful at corners when putting on binding.
Now if I could just find an accessory to give me more time to sew I'd be
all set!
Allison
Old June 2nd 09, 09:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

On 2 Jun., 17:41, "I.E.Z." wrote:
"onetexsun" wrote in message

[...]

I love the built-in even-feed foot on my Pfaff - is that what you call
an accu-feed? It works a charm for me, thick ot thin "pile" of stuff
to be sewn, uneven and all.

Also, if you need to not use it, just disengage it - I have done that
a few times, but not much (other than for quilting, or other feet
where it doesn't go.

Hanne in CPH
Old June 2nd 09, 10:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
I.E.Z.

wrote in message
On 2 Jun., 17:41, "I.E.Z." wrote:
"onetexsun" wrote in message

[...]

Oh, I know I can just flip it up - but I can't attach a walking foot if I
wanted to. Of course I don't need to, because I have a Bernina without
even-feed, and a walking foot for it. I do like the even-feed for certain
things, as noted, but the Bernina walking foot just works a bit easier and
better for straight line quilting, in my opinion anyway.

Iris

Old June 2nd 09, 11:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

Sunny get a bright colored post it note and write "Single Hole Plate" on it
in big letters.

Stick it somewhere on the machine when you use that plate. Do not switch
to zig zag with this plate attached.

Your machine will make the awfullest sound.

Cindy

Old June 3rd 09, 12:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

HAve the 6600 and the foot. That is funny cause I thought it wasn't
worth the cost for the little I use it. The little leg on it seems to
have more 'play' in it than it should for a good accurate 1/4" seam.
Might just be the one I got though. Go figure.

Actually Cindy, although it is a single stitch plate it does have an
additional hole over to the right. If you go over to a ZZ stitch the
needle will go into the other hole but the fabric will not advance.
Kind of hard to explain but actually that part of the plate is pretty
well thought out.

Taria

Old June 19th 09, 05:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

"Taria" wrote in message

HAve the 6600 and the foot. That is funny cause I thought it wasn't worth
the cost for the little I use it. The little leg on it seems to
have more 'play' in it than it should for a good accurate 1/4" seam.
Might just be the one I got though. Go figure.

Actually Cindy, although it is a single stitch plate it does have an
additional hole over to the right. If you go over to a ZZ stitch the
needle will go into the other hole but the fabric will not advance.
Kind of hard to explain but actually that part of the plate is pretty
well thought out.

Taria

I wish they would do that with the Husqvarna plate!

Cindy