Freestanding embroidery

Old September 25th 06, 11:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Georg

Default Freestanding embroidery

Don/Gen wrote:
You use Peltex or Timtex for freestanding EMBROIDERY bowls. Interesting,
especially since most of the ones I do are lace and that would defeat the
whole purpose of the lace.
Gen

I missunderstood. I'm sorry.

-georg
Old September 25th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
I.E.Z.

"Dorothy McNutt" wrote in message
m...
Thanks. I'll see if the 2 layers of Ultra Solvy works.
It is kind of expensive though. I will check out Discount
Embroidery and other sites on the net. I was at a quilt
show last week end but didn't think to check to see
if any vendor had it.
dreamboat

Also check out the fiber-based washaway stabilizers. They also wash
completely away, but look more like stabilizer, not a film like Ultra Solvy.
Vilene is probably the best-known brand. I use H20 Gone. These work well
for freestanding lace and similar projects, and are easier to handle than
the film types. At least I think so.

Iris

Old September 28th 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

Dorothy, you don't need to get the badgemaster. The key is to not wash
all the stabilizer out. You need to have the "goop" left to make the
thread stiff. The more you wash out the limper the bowl will be. If you
have rinsed too much, try leaving the bowl on whatever you have shaped
it over. (Do put a layer or two of plastic or foil or something over
the form first.G ) Then coat with a couple of coats of something like
Mod Podge. Let dry between coats. When dry the Mod Podge is permanent
and you won't have to worry about the bowl getting wet or damp.
Often times we are so used to rinsing out all of the stabilizer that we
don't adapt well to not rinsing it out. BG

Good luck and congrats for experimenting with this "new" skill.

Pati, in Phx

Dorothy McNutt wrote:

Thanks everyone for all you help. I'll see if I can find
some badgemaster. Does anyone know where you
can buy it? I don't think I really saw it at QS's or
fabric stores. Maybe on the internet somewhere.
dreamboat
http://community.webshots.com/user/dreamboat116

Embroidery software ola Marketplace 0 January 26th 05 12:27 PM
Japanese Embroidery Ctr - Mary Monica & Dianne Please Read Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Needlework 11 December 5th 03 10:10 PM
Books about Stitches - longish list Dianne Lewandowski Needlework 20 August 8th 03 07:27 AM
CHINESE EMBROIDERY HISTORY & MORE Zoe Marketplace 0 August 7th 03 06:46 AM