No More Ordering from eQuilter

Old August 14th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Default No More Ordering from eQuilter

Did you bring this to their attention? If not, email Paul and ask him
directly. He will explain their practices.
I have emailed him more than once and always received a prompt reply (except
when he was away--and he let me know why I had to wait for an answer.)
I am not for/against this practice as I was not aware of it--gotta order
first.
You can also bring this entire thread to his attention and he will answer
all our queries on this NG----- IF HE IS ASKED. He only posts here when
asked to and always has worked with us when requested. (I remember
questioning their practice of giving to their fav charity--you have an
option of choosing which one)

HTH
Butterfly
..

"Emma Thackery" wrote in message

They bilk you for extra money by calculating their shipping costs based
on the retail price of an item--- NOT the price you pay them for the
fabric. And that is on top of already excessive domestic shipping
rates. Here is what they say on their page:

"*Total Order Value is calculated based upon REGULAR product pricing,
even when ordered items are on sale."

http://equilter.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi...9Hz1V17WJ5Df-4
4106256471.44

Reminds me of some of the eBay shipping scams. Very bad form,
especially for an outlet that already charges very high prices for
quilting fabric.

Old August 16th 06, 06:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Emma Thackery

I said nothing about completing an order but I don't suppose that facts
are material when one is driven by your manner of on-the-rag splenetics.
How pedestrian.

In article , "maryd" mardor@*net
sniped superciliously:

Didn't you agree to the total charge before completing the order? Most if
not all of us are wise enough to look at the bottom line before completing a
transaction.

"Emma Thackery" wrote in message
: I never said anyone was "forcing me"... how very silly. But it's my
: right to say "Caveat Emptor" when an already excessive domestic shipping
: policy, that purports to charge by the merchandise total, requires that
: you read a buried footnote to find out that isn't really true at all.
: I'm betting that a lot of people, especially those who expect more
: honest, forthright business practices, didn't know that.
:
: And I'd like to think that others who find similarly unethical practices
: in their business transactions would let others know.
:
: Emma

Old August 16th 06, 07:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Emma Thackery

In article ,
Sandy Ellison wrote:

Howdy!

As Dusty says, "Me-ow!"
http://tinyurl.com/krrcd

Ragmop/Sandy--laughing at the snarkiness ;-P

..... and vested interest. All this churlish indignation reminds me of a
Ralph Waldo Emerson quote, "The louder he talked of his honor, the
faster we counted our spoons."

Funny cat!

Old August 16th 06, 07:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

wow, Emma, that is a word i'd not heard til now.
'Splenetics'
had to go look it up.
anyhow...
i wonder why you didnt email your concerns about the cost of whatever to the
site rather than post here about it. not as if any of us can do anything to
help. we can only commiserate.
seems to me that should of been the first thing to do.
if after that you are still unhappy perhaps posting here might be helpful to
alleviate your irritation with the order.
hmmm, pedestrian... let your fingers do the walking by emailing the site
asking for more precise info about your order so they have the chance to
explain the numbers.
watch out for the zebras.
cheers,
jeanne
who is that under the bridge?
--
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r
nzlstar on webshots

"Emma Thackery" wrote...

Old August 16th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
I.E.Z.

"Emma Thackery" wrote in message
I said nothing about completing an order but I don't suppose that facts
are material when one is driven by your manner of on-the-rag splenetics.
How pedestrian.

I was on your side until that "on-the-rag" remark.

Too crude. The last time I heard that was from a bunch of ill-mannered
ninth grade boys talking about their teacher.

And I haven't been in ninth grade since 1965.

Iris

Old August 17th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Quilt Fairy

Default eQuilter shipping

Emma Thackery wrote:
calculating their shipping costs based
on the retail price of an item

Dear Emma -

You are correct that eQuilter shipping rates are based on the original
retail price of the sale fabric, which is calculated based on the
actual weight of the fabric. You are also correct that this is stated
on our Shipping Rate page, but please note the shipping charge also
comes up on the order so you can see the exact charge before you
finalize the order. There are no changes or hikes in the shipping
charge after placing an order - it is all stated up front so you can
make the choice whether or not that works for you.

I'd like to also give you a peek into how our business operates. We
are a family owned business, not a huge corporation. We do not pay a
minimum wage to our workers as many quilts shops and online discounters
do - we offer full time positions paying a living wage plus medical and
dental benefits, paid holidays, and a 401k program. This is because I
believe it is important to treat our staff well for their long term
health, and the health of the company, so we can continue to serve our
customers long into the future.

In addition we strive to be a socially conscious company, giving back
to the community by donating to charity and sponsoring national quilt
exhibits. Last year for instance we gave $85,000 to a variety of
charities, and sponsored several national exhibits that would not
otherwise be seen.

Every business provides a different kind of service - the service we
provide is to get the hottest new fabrics in the market onto our
website as quickly as possible, and also to maintain a huge inventory
(over 20,000 products online and in stock at any time) so when our
customers need something in particular, we will hopefully have it when
their local quilt shop does not. It is not cheap to maintain a 15,000
sq ft warehouse and a staff of almost 40. Our facilities are clean and
well lit, air conditioned in summer and heated in winter.

So when we offer fabrics on Clearance (which means we are taking a loss
on the fabric, to make room for new fabrics) and UPS charges us $10 for
shipping, I can't charge $5 for shipping or we are taking a further
loss. Simply put, we would go out of business if we ran our business
this way. Either that or we would have to cut the size of our
warehouse, cut wages and benefits, you get the picture.

Paul and I have personally set the price structure and the shipping
rates and these are standard rates in the industry. Not high or low,
but the standard fair retail price. Our shipping rates are based on
actual shipping costs which are fairly similar no matter where we ship
in the contiguous United States because we are in a central location.
(Colorado) Trust me, we are not making money on our shipping rates! It
is one of our biggest expenses.

Over 24 years of owning my own business, I have found that it is
impossible to make everyone happy, but we sure try hard to provide a
unique service that the majority of quilters can appreciate! I am very
sorry to hear that our pricing structure does not meet your needs or
expectations, and I sincerely hope that you are able to find what you
want elsewhere at a price that works for you.

If you ever have any questions or problems feel free to contact our
customer service dept at

thanks and best wishes,
Luana Rubin
owner, eQuilter.com
www.eQuilter.com

Old August 17th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne in CA

Thank you Luana, for your clarification of this issue. If you've
followed the thread you have probably discovered that the majority of
rctq members who responded are very happy and satisfied with eQuilter. I
certainly am, and would not let a single disgruntled comment turn me
away from your company. Most of us here appreciate you and Paul, fer
sher :-)

Anne in CA
annerudolph AT comcast DOT net
Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, fact, or tact are transmission errors.
http://community.webshots.com/user/annerudolph3
http://www.frappr.com/rctq
http://annerudolph.home.comcast.net/anne.htm

Old August 17th 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Clear and very fair.

I have always been happy with this.

Cheryl & the Cats in Australia
_ o _ o 0 0
( Y ) ( Y ) ( Y )
~ ~ U
Enness Boofhead Donut
Starting to wake from hibernation!
catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

"Quilt Fairy" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old August 18th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

Oooh, here's a chance to write directly to someone at eQuilter! I
ordered a piece of fabric on Sunday that I drooled over in your weekly
newsletter. It arrived today (Thursday), carefully wrapped and packaged,
*and* with a personal note of thanks from "Joan". I love it!

Thanks for the quick service -- as usual.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education