OT.... UK Kitchen appliance question.........

Old March 5th 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
JPgirl

Default OT.... UK Kitchen appliance question.........

I have been watching a lot of HGTV lately for tips to sell our house
(moving into a new one in the fall) and noticed this thing on a lot of
the UK shows and it is bothering me.

The thing I noticed is what I assume to be some sort of kitchen
appliance it is always white and looks like a small front loading
washing machine.
It is bothering me because I have no idea what it is, they never say
what it is and I have never seen anything like it in a kitchen in
Canada or any kind of renovation show outside of the UK, yet almost
every show that has been filmed in the UK has had one!.

What is this thing!!!!!!!!

Old March 5th 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Default OT....Ask Leslie.........

Beats me. I can't think of one single appliance that is always white. My
first thought was a dishwasher but they can be stainless, a color or even
paneled wood to match the other cabinets. Perhaps you need Leslie. She
does a heap of house selling. I don't know that she's sold one in UK but
I'll bet she'd give it a try if the notion struck her. Polly

ps.com...

Old March 5th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

"JPgirl" wrote in message
ps.com...
I assume to be some sort of kitchen
appliance it is always white and looks like a small front loading
washing machine.
What is this thing!!!!!!!!

It is a washing machine dryer combo. Toss in the load of clothes and after
they wash the machine goes into "dryer mode". Some are just front loader
washers and people use and , sit down and hang on, they use clothes lines or
racks to dry their clothes. Having the machine installed under the counter
in the kitchen is common in Europe.

Scroll down on this link to washer/dryer and it will tell you how they work.
http://www.slowtrav.com/uk/instructions/appliances.htm

Val

Old March 5th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie NJ

I think it might be the water heater. In many older homes in England, the
water heater is located near the kitchen sink. In the shows I've seen, they
usually want to enclose them.

--
Bonnie
NJ
"Polly Esther" wrote in message
Beats me. I can't think of one single appliance that is always white. My
first thought was a dishwasher but they can be stainless, a color or even
paneled wood to match the other cabinets. Perhaps you need Leslie. She
does a heap of house selling. I don't know that she's sold one in UK but
I'll bet she'd give it a try if the notion struck her. Polly

ps.com...

Old March 5th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
JPgirl

THanks Val,
I just couldn't imagine what kind of appliance would look so much like
a front loading washing machine in the Kitchen. I have seen the washer
dryer combo before but I doubt they are very popular here as I have
only seen one in a store.
It must take FOREVER to laundry that way!
I suppose I find it a little odd that someone would do their laundry
in the kitchen but I suppose if that is where you have room for it,
that is where you do it!

Old March 5th 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
M Rimmer

Old March 5th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
M Rimmer

Old March 5th 07, 10:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Val wrote:
"JPgirl" wrote in message
ps.com...
I assume to be some sort of kitchen
appliance it is always white and looks like a small front loading
washing machine.
What is this thing!!!!!!!!

It is a washing machine dryer combo. Toss in the load of clothes and after
they wash the machine goes into "dryer mode". Some are just front loader
washers and people use and , sit down and hang on, they use clothes lines or
racks to dry their clothes. Having the machine installed under the counter
in the kitchen is common in Europe.

Scroll down on this link to washer/dryer and it will tell you how they work.
http://www.slowtrav.com/uk/instructions/appliances.htm

Val

I'm intrigued too! I hadn't noticed there was much difference in ours
and the US's appliances, though yours are a big bigger perhaps. We have
progressed a little from the Middle Ages - personally my clothes are
always dried in a tumble drier. Of course some people can't afford a
tumble drier, and some older people still prefer to dry clothes outside.
The most popular way seems to be on a circular umbrella shaped clothes
line.

Most appliances are white, though there are some stainless steel/silver
coloured ones around. (Or they may be disguised by facings the same as
the cupboards - but then you wouldn't know they were there, would you.)
Coloured appliances did make an appearance some years ago, but like
coloured bathrooms, everyone prefers white, so shops no longer stock the
coloured ones - considered very 1970's, especially avacardo!

If you didn't have a utility /laundry room, and had all appliances under
the countertop, you would have: a washing machine with a 'porthole' so
you can see the clothes, (99% washing machines here are front loaders,
top loaders are considered an old fashioned novelty); a tumble dryer
standing next to it, which may also have a porthole and look very
similar; a fridge, a similar sized freezer (probably most have a
fridge/freezer double height combination, but we are talking under
countertop here); a dishwasher looking like a washing machine but with a
plain front.

There are washer/dryers around, but they are more expensive than having
two machines, and few people have them as they aren't as efficient as
the cheaper option of two purpose built machines. They do take up less
space though.

Then on the worktop would be a microwave and always, always, always an
electric kettle.

Of course there would be the cooker/stove/oven - either built in or
freestanding.

Somewhere in the house there will be a boiler (gas or oil)for heating
water and central heating. Many now are small inconspicuous boxes on a
kitchen or garage wall, sometimes they may be freestanding but they have
a chimney or vent pipe to an outside wall, but I have never heard of one
that would go under a sink. Can only find pictures of the wall hung
ones. Freestanding ones in a kitchen don't abut the units - suppose fire
hazard. The storage cylinder for hot water is usually in a cupboard in
the bathroom (room with the bathtub - the room with just the toilet and
wash hand basin is never bathroom here - loo, toilet. Bathrooms always
have baths and fluffy towels.

Most people have their cleaning gear under the sink - bucket, etc, and
perhaps a small rubbish bin. We have a water softener under our sink,
but the water here is particularly hard - before we lived in this part
of the country didn't know anyone who had one.

This is the site of one of our major department stores electrical
department (the big electrical retailers just have too many products to
show you!) Does this strange appliance appear there anywhere?

http://www.johnlewis.com/Electrical/Area.aspx

Think I have covered everything! Now, what can it be??

--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)
Old March 5th 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

M Rimmer wrote:
Nothing!! It got lost - twice!

--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)
Old March 5th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jack Campin - bogus address

M Rimmer wrote:

[yes that was the complete post]

I think you need to change the setting to something below "annihilate".