Stupid ironing question

Old July 26th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trixie

Default Stupid ironing question

I didn't have any problems with the first swap, but definitely skip any
spray starch type stuff. And thanks for asking. I know people who have had
to give up fabric-related crafts because of chemicals used in the growing
and processing of cotton, but I find if I prewash fabric before I work with
large quantities of it I don't have that horrible effect. I can't imagine
having to give up quilting! Shudder!

Connie D

"desert quilter" wrote in message
ps.com...
Oh Connie, I didn't know about your chemical sensitivites. Having
allergies to pollens and mold, I can sympathize. I know we've already
been through one "your pick" swap together, but is there anything I
should be aware of before sending the block I make for you back? I
don't want to set off any reactions!

Michelle in NV

Trixie wrote:
No tricks at all! I have several chemical sensitivities so I rely on
plain
stuff for most everything I do (plain water, plain steam, plain elbow
grease). Not that I had to use any elbow grease on your fabric.

Connie D

"desert quilter" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Connie,

I think you're probably right. I was a little disgruntled that the
fabric didn't stay as flat as it was when I just finished ironing it,
although it was improved over the just washed and dried look. And,
when I received your beautiful blocks back, the fabric looked great.
Made me think you knew something about ironing that I didn't. :-)

Michelle in NV

Trixie wrote:
Michelle:

Are you sure you're not being oversensitive? I'm in the swap and
already
used the fabric in question, and it seemed fine to me. I
double-checked
the
scraps I have left and they aren't particularly wrinkly, even after
being
folded up and stuffed in a tub. It is beautiful fabric, too.

Connie D

"desert quilter" wrote in message
oups.com...
This sounds stupid, but the fabric I have chosen for a swap seems to
be
ironing resistent! When I iron it, it looks flat and nice, but by
the
time the fabric cools down, it's back to its previous wrinkly state.
tried sprinkling it with water. Same result. It's a rather heavy
100%
cotton fabric. Any suggestions?

Any insight would be appreciated.
Michelle in NV

Old July 26th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
desert quilter

Oooh give up quilting? Horrible! That would be tough! Okay, no
starch for you! :-) Actually, except for my recent ironing quandary,
I can't remember the last time I used starch.

Michelle in NV

Trixie wrote:
[...]

Okay.. stupid question... OT? Christopher Beads 19 April 18th 05 08:10 PM
Stupid bead question JoAnn Paules Beads 12 August 27th 04 05:32 AM
Potentially Stupid Newbie Question Tanner Yarn 6 June 28th 04 09:24 PM
Another stupid question JJMolvik Yarn 0 April 1st 04 05:19 AM
stupid crochet question.... Christine Yarn 16 February 17th 04 06:56 PM