World wide knitting day

Old June 15th 08, 08:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

Default World wide knitting day

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 19:43:44 -0500, Olwyn Mary wrote:

Bernadette wrote:

I think I'll stick with the "ready made" option for wool thank you Cher.
Probably do the same for dress materials too, lol. Anything for an
easier life. :-)

I jokingly refer to myself as a "secondary fiber artist" at Guild
meetings. I never mastered a drop spindle, have done basic weaving but do
not find it that interesting, so probably wouldn't do it unless there was
something I couldn't find ready woven. OTOH, there are some members of
our Guild who have lengths of handwoven cloth which are just that -
lengths of cloth. Likewise, there are spinners who have hanks of handspun
yarn lying around, and when I ask what they are to be used for I receive
blank stares. Being an intensely practical soul, I don't consider lengths
of fabric or hanks of yarn to be finished products. To me, they are
waiting to be turned into somethig which is BOTH beautiful and useful.

I can identify with that Olwyn Mary. Sometimes I have kept a length of
fabric and studied it for ages before deciding what to make with it and
what design to use but once it is decided it gets made quickly.

When I remarked on this at a meeting once, one of the spinners loftily
replied that SHE is "process-oriented", and I must be "product-oriented."

Oh how pompous some people are!

Well, yes. I can't see doing all that spinning or weaving unless I got
something wearable or usable out of it.

Must get back to my sewing machine - just finished putting a band of
sequins all around the edge of a wool gauze shawl to dress it up a bit,
and I have some storebought lengths of 95% rayon 5% lycra knit waiting to
be made into short sleeve tops.

It sounds like a busy time for you now. I like the sound of that sequin
band - it makes a garment very special. I once had some narrow black
polyester ribbon with silver embroidery and used it as a stripe down the
sides of a pair of black trousers. They lasted me for the best part of 15
years for special occasions. :-)

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Bernadette
Old June 17th 08, 03:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Y[_2_]

What a shame to spend all that time spinning and never using it. I spin and
knit / crochet or weave mine, I've made socks shawls tablecloths tartan
material I turned into kilts, table mats serviettes towels tea towels odd
remnants used for lavendar bags hot water bottle covers Rugs these being
thick rugs too, with complicated colour weaving to create the patterns I
have wanted. Slippers cardigans jackets kaftans woven lace curtaining for a
door, cushion covers depending on the fleece used in the spinnng of course
anything from very fine to very thick yarn can be acheived for the above
items and more, any scraps left over go into my Kumuhimo braiding for
keyrings and belts bracelets some adorned with beads some not, depending
again on what one wants. I spin anything from sheeps fleece to dog hair cat
hair silk cotton flax, oh and flax is great dyed for deck chair covers, or
seating as it is strong. Natural dyeing where possible, then I can spin
some fine shetland as thin as cotton and knit lovely heirloom shawls...

Beats me why people would want to spin never to use it, how strange.

higz Cher

Old June 17th 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Y" wrote in message
[...]

I agree. It would be like knitting a garment and not wearing it. I just
don't want to spin :-)

Mary

Old June 17th 08, 07:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Y[_2_]

Thats fine if you don't want to spin, you don't have to...nobody does..lol

I can't fathom anyone weaving great lengths of fabric either, I mean, I work
out how many ends I need for a project and thread that up and weave it, or
perhaps some just stick any old bits on the back roller and hope for the
best. Weird... never known of that one before but hey ho each to their
own.

higz.....Cher

Old June 18th 08, 11:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article ,
Y wrote:
They've always called it a Spinning Bee day in the mags, wonder why, busy
bees I can understand..

There are also Spelling Bees and Quilting Bees. I think the reference
is probably to the amount of talking going on - the "buzz".

=Tamar

Old June 19th 08, 04:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

Old June 19th 08, 08:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Y[_2_]

Ah, that's why, of course it is, lol, never thought of that one...
thnx
higz Cher

"Richard Eney" wrote in message
In article ,
Y wrote:
They've always called it a Spinning Bee day in the mags, wonder why, busy
bees I can understand..

There are also Spelling Bees and Quilting Bees. I think the reference
is probably to the amount of talking going on - the "buzz".

=Tamar

World wide air ticket 50% discount! A Glass 0 June 3rd 04 01:10 AM
World wide air ticket 50% discount! A Marketplace 0 June 3rd 04 01:10 AM
World WIde Quilt Show Sharon Harper Quilting 4 May 17th 04 01:03 AM
World Wide Quilt Show Jeri Quilting 0 May 8th 04 06:38 PM
The most precious Hug in the whole wide world..and its mine! jennell H Quilting 7 April 18th 04 01:20 PM