Gold filled vs gold clasps

Old July 21st 03, 06:41 PM
Dr. Sooz

I've seen crap
necklace and earring sets that people have bought for $120.00 at home
jewelry parties that were nothing more than fake turquoise with pewter
"bali" beads. If they will pay for cheap garbage, why not good stuff?

Because many customers don't know better.
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
~ Bead Notes: Beading information A - Z
http://www.lampwork.net/beadnotes.html

Old July 21st 03, 06:43 PM
Dr. Sooz

Sweetie -- gold filled is not "cheap stuff." It is good stuff.

My sentiments, exactly!

Exactly what I said in another post.
~~
Sooz
-------

Old July 21st 03, 06:48 PM
Dr. Sooz

Call your State Board of Equalization to get started, Alia.

so, how do i get a wholesale liscence?

~~
Sooz
-------

Old July 21st 03, 09:29 PM
Christina Peterson

I don't feel guilty about asking to see stuff at the LBS. I buy enough at
their high prices to be a very good customer. And they know me well enough
that they don't have to watch me. And I'll often buy a onies at the store
and then order multiples from a catalogue. One of the things that you can't
always tell from catalogues though, it how thick the metal is in some beads
or clasp. Unfortunately, I like to get a better price, and sometimes I
outsmart myself and get to light weight a bead.

Although Fairbanks is good for a small and remote place, and we have some
nice art beads, the good imported beads here are very, very high (often as
much as lamp work), as are findings.

Tina

"scaperchick" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 22:55:15 -0400, "CLP" wrote:

It's kind of a drag, not being
able to look at and touch this stuff in person.

Just picking out this bit to reply to - with a big ol' ME TOO. My LBS
carries a tiny amount of sterling and gold-filled stuff, but it's in a
locked case and I don't want to ask them to open it just so I can
fondle the stuff. Same with their Bali, Turkish and Indian silver.
(And Swarovski). I've had to learn about this stuff by buying small
amounts online and comparing them in different pieces. Needless to
say, it's slow learning when you have to pay for it. (Though it does
make learning very, very fun!)

Old July 21st 03, 11:23 PM
CLP

Wonder how much it would cost to start up a LBS and how to find out if the
market would exist locally for one. Do those of you who have done this for a
long time see a resurgance or new interest in beads? We have about zero
here, 2 just started up, but they're ill stocked and one is nasty in a
converted gas station... Very, very limited selections, though. I know women
can get small business loans easily. There are all kinds of incentives out
there....... what do you think?

Old July 22nd 03, 01:19 AM
Dr. Sooz

Hell NO! Never! Always ask. They love you to look, because that's how
they'll (eventually) get you to BUY. Silly wench! :-)

I don't feel guilty about asking to see (under-the-counter) stuff at the LBS.

~~
Sooz
-------

Old July 22nd 03, 03:20 AM
Sue Lund

Sweetie -- gold filled is not "cheap stuff." It is good stuff.

My sentiments, exactly!

Carol in SLC

DITTO! What they said,and all that!

(waving wildly at the monitor) Hi Carol! Hi Becki! I finally came over from
the "dark" side!
Suedo )

(like "pseudo", though I'm no phony baloney!)
members.aol.com/suedotlund

Old July 22nd 03, 04:18 AM
Carol in SLC

(waving wildly at the monitor) Hi Carol! Hi Becki! I finally came over from
the "dark" side!

Hey, Suedo!!! Glad you finally came over (although I heard you were at WC so I
signed up over there!). Call me, girl - we gotta get together!

Carol in SLC
(Newest stuff - http://members.aol.com/carolinslc/coralcameo.jpg )
Little sister's new JB auctions 7/12
http://www.justbeads.com/search/ql.cfm?s=63875
Old July 22nd 03, 04:27 AM
CLP

Jeez, I feel like Roseanne Roseanna Danna - "Nevermind".

"Christina Peterson" wrote in message
That's about what I was thinking. (Thinking of how much I've spent on my
own beads). Then add to that your lease, your furniture and fixtures,
insurance, advertising, your minimum operating costs for 6 months, which
usually have to include an employee. With that added, I'd at least double
it.

Tina

Old July 22nd 03, 04:58 AM
CLP

Wouldn't it be cool though, if you could get the SBA to give you tens of
thousands of dollars to buy beads! :^)

* TL *

Yeah, well, that was the brilliant master plan. Get paid to shop for beads,
stock them, play with them, meet other like-minded people, mske pretty
things together, give away a TON of beads and have a good time! It could
work, and surely someone would want to fund that.

(See why I haven't made it to Empress of the Universe yet?)

CLP

"Tante Lina" wrote in message
thlink.net...