Switching Needle Sizes in the Round

Old June 15th 04, 10:45 PM
Tiffany

Default Switching Needle Sizes in the Round

Hey All! I need some help. I have been working, unknitting and
trying this over and over again. I am knitting a poncho in the round,
and I need to switch needle sizes to something bigger in the middle.
How do I do it? I've tried just knitting onto the second pair but
that leaves a hole where I had to rejoin the work. I've tried just
moving the stitches onto the new needles but it is too big. Please
help! I'm about to go crazy. Thanks
Old June 15th 04, 11:02 PM
Chris Bailey

Easiest way I have found is to complete the last round of the first size,
and depending on if you have 2 sets of needles or removable needles, you
either exchange 1 needle tip with the larger size(leaving the smaller one on
to finish the first round of larger size) or you just use both circulars as
flexible needles until you have transferred all the stitches to the larger
size and the continue knitting in the round.
Hope that helps!
Chris

Old June 16th 04, 01:12 AM
Sorceress

Tiffany opined thusly:

Hey All! I need some help. I have been working, unknitting and
trying this over and over again. I am knitting a poncho in the round,
and I need to switch needle sizes to something bigger in the middle.
How do I do it? I've tried just knitting onto the second pair but
that leaves a hole where I had to rejoin the work. I've tried just
moving the stitches onto the new needles but it is too big. Please
help! I'm about to go crazy. Thanks

I would get to the begining of the round and then knit with 2 circular
needles, holding the larger in my right and the smaller in my left. Knitting
onto the larger needle from the smaller needle until I had all the stitches
transfered over.

You might experiment with wrapping that first stitch on the round a la short
row wraps, and knitting the wrap with the stitch next time round to see if
that closes the hole you mentioned.

--
Regards,
--Anne

Remove DIESPAMBOTDIE to e-mail

Blog Info:
http://www.emptycauldron.com/weblog/musings.php
http://www.emptycauldron.com/weblog/atom.xml

Old June 16th 04, 03:52 AM
Llaurie

"Tiffany" wrote in message
Hey All! I need some help. I have been working, unknitting and
trying this over and over again. I am knitting a poncho in the round,
and I need to switch needle sizes to something bigger in the middle.
How do I do it? I've tried just knitting onto the second pair but
that leaves a hole where I had to rejoin the work. I've tried just
moving the stitches onto the new needles but it is too big. Please
help! I'm about to go crazy. Thanks

Hi Tiffany
I see a few other answers to your question but... one thing you also might
want to remember is that after you have changed to the new larger needles
and have knit a few rows, you can then tighten up that stitches or stitches
that are causing the hole. I've had success moving all of the 'extra' yarn
to one stitch..pulling it (from the back) to eliminate the hole. Then,
depending on the length of the extra yarn either darning it down or cutting
it and weaving in the ends.
Good luck !
laurie