Grinder Problems

Old October 29th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

Default Grinder Problems

"Michael" wrote in message
ups.com...
JK wrote:

LOL.... that's why I'm using the same head for the last 5 years. I
grind to take the sharpness off. I believe in taking the time to be
a more accurate cutter, and spending as little time as possible at the
grinder.... but what do I know?

**********************
I have seen your work and it's obvious you know plenty, JK. One thing
I've noticed though with commercial lamp kits is that the pattern you
cut to doesn't exactly match the pattern that is on the mold. Cutting
just a little larger and grinding a bit is a trade-off on having to
recut pieces where the cutting pattern is much smaller than the mold
pattern.

Michael

Lamp patterns are notorious for being inaccurate. Lots of grinding there
for a good fit but that said....... I know this will kill your
sensibilities, but in the real world not one person will notice, when the
difference between a good fit and an OK fit is measured in 32nd's of an
inch.

--
JK Sinrod
www.SinrodStudios.com

Old October 30th 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

JK wrote:

I know this will kill your sensibilities, but in the real world not
one person will notice, when the difference between a good fit and an
OK fit is measured in 32nd's of an inch.

************
Even though a lit lamp is really going to show up fat lines, it's not
actually my sloppy cuts or even my crummy soldering that bothers me
the most. It's my choice of glass. My lamp looks like something out
of a child's coloring book, with none of the subtle mixing of many
colors and shadings that comes from a skilled choice of glass. I've
got the Neustadt book coming in the mail, and maybe watching the
Porcelli video again would help. But for a while I'm going to remain
clueless. I mean, I choose red for red flowers and green for leaves.
What do I use some blotched red and green confusion for? Both flowers
and leaves? Who can make heads or tails of a mess like that?
Conceptually, and color-wise, I've got some growing up to do.

Thanks for posting, JK. I always appreciate your comments.

Michael

Old October 31st 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

"Michael" wrote in message
oups.com...
JK wrote:

[...]

Some are color challenged and never make great choices. I used to have a
woman at my side doing all the designs & picking. Then she left and I was
on my own. It made a big difference. By the way I'm color blind.

Old October 31st 07, 02:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

JK wrote:

Some are color challenged and never make great choices. I used to
have a woman at my side doing all the designs & picking. Then she
left and I was on my own. It made a big difference. By the way I'm
color blind.

*****************
I'm trying to engage the women, too. I pick out a few colors and ask
my wife and daughter to help choose, emphasizing looking at them
together and lit. I pretty much trust them but then again coloring in
stained glass is something of an acquired taste.

Michael

Old October 31st 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker[_2_]

"Michael" wrote in message
ups.com...
but then again coloring in
stained glass is something of an acquired taste.

Michael

Color choice is not an issue if you are a turbo-soldering, crash annealing,
sushi-plate forming Canuck with little talent and even less craftsmanship.
LOL

Old October 31st 07, 07:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Lauri Levanto

glassman wrote:
"Michael" wrote in message
oups.com...
JK wrote:

[...]

Colors are a challence.
I started my art career late, over 50's.
At that age one is well aware that life is too short to learn everything.
I decided then not to pain but do sculpting and drawing and leave the
colors to others. I'll concentrate to light and shadow.
My drawing developed to pastel painting. There I had a box of colors to
choose, and skip the mixing of hues.

The same with kilnforming glass. I need a rack of colors to choose from.
Some mixing takes place when fusing transparents, but then I have
a good guesstimate by stacking the sheets.
The real challenge is to work with multicolored glass, and cutting
the right pieces.

-lauri

Newbie needs to buy a grinder FlameNwind Glass 33 April 25th 06 05:44 PM
glass grinder [email protected] Glass 1 February 11th 06 11:22 PM
best beginner grinder Walker Glass 5 February 9th 06 07:36 PM
GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER! Kalera Stratton Beads 19 January 6th 05 10:27 PM
looking for kiln & grinder Jeff Glass 1 September 15th 03 01:45 AM