Stained Glass Books

Old October 5th 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

Default Stained Glass Books

I got another order of glass today. It was sitting in a big box on
the front porch when I got home. Wahoo! What a pleasure to unwrap
and look at all those beautiful sheets of glass. I also got a couple
books with colored photos of old glass in them, Old Stained Glass for
the Home and Antique Stained Glass for the home. They both have a lot
of nice pictures in them. The pages aren't filled with text and black
and white photos with a few colored ones thrown in. They are page
after page of color pictures. I'm happy. I hope I don't see a lot of
the same windows in both books, but I won't complain much if I do.
Most of the photos are taken straight on, so if I want to reproduce
them I should have an easy job of scanning them and then tracing over
them using GlassEye software. I am not much of an artist, so all
these ideas should really help me.

I tried to order a couple other books but they were out of stock.

Michael

Old October 5th 07, 04:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Javahut[_4_]

"Michael" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It is very nice to see/hear of someone who is really excited about this
craft/artform. Now if there were only several million others spread nice
and evenly across the country the retail shops would not have such a hard
time staying in business.

Good for you Michael, enjoy every minute of it, be thrilled by the glass and
excited by craft!! Hell it might be contagious!!

Old October 6th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
racing John

I agree with Javahut, it good to hear some so fired up, I make almost
all of my christmas gifts and just remember you can make anything you
can imagine or draw...

Old October 6th 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Jim[_2_]

"Michael" wrote in message
oups.com...
I got another order of glass today. It was sitting in a big box on
the front porch when I got home.

Mind if I ask who you use?
TIA,
Jim

Old October 7th 07, 12:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

"Michael" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

For every $100 you send me I'll send you $300 worth of assorted books and
patterns.

--
JK Sinrod
www.SinrodStudios.com

Old October 7th 07, 04:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Javahut[_4_]

For every $100 you send me I'll send you $300 worth of assorted books

and
patterns.

that sounds like a good deal, depending how current your selections are.

got any Tiffany at Auction books by Alastair Duncan? What do you have to
sell in that line?

Old October 7th 07, 09:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

"Javahut" wrote in message

For every $100 you send me I'll send you $300 worth of assorted books

and
patterns.

that sounds like a good deal, depending how current your selections are.

got any Tiffany at Auction books by Alastair Duncan? What do you have to
sell in that line?

Don't you have 50 of those in the attic?

Old October 7th 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Javahut[_4_]

"glassman" wrote in message

"Javahut" wrote in message

For every $100 you send me I'll send you $300 worth of assorted

books
and
patterns.

that sounds like a good deal, depending how current your selections are.

got any Tiffany at Auction books by Alastair Duncan? What do you have

sell in that line?

Don't you have 50 of those in the attic?

I have 50 of the Tiffany WIndows books, always good to burn, er sell on
ebay, just wondered what you did have in old books, anything of interest to
an old fart...none of this new stuff...

Old October 8th 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

Jim asked:

Mind if I ask who you use?

**************
Not at all! I've made two online glass buys now, both from
GlassCrafters. I'm not a big fan of 12"x12" pieces. They are too
small. I made an 11" x 18" Victorian floral recently that has several
pieces longer than 12", so it doesn't take a big window to make 12x12
pieces too small. Some online glass stores sell nothing any bigger
than 12x12, but GlassCrafter's large sheets come in either 16x24 or
sometimes as small 16x18, but both those sizes will generally
accomodate the windows I am making.

They have a flat-rate $10 boxing fee for the large size. The box for
the large sheets will hold 12 pieces. I always try to order 12 so
that I'm spreading the boxing fee out the most. GlassCrafters also
seems to always be having some kind of across-the-board special. My
first order was free shipping. My second order was 10% off. My first
order arrived with zero broken pieces. My second one had the outside
sheet broke into two pieces. It didn't bother me much. Totally
useable.

Please bear in mind that I am a newbie and have only bought online
from GlassCrafters, so there's no reason to think that there aren't
better places out there. Another reason I like GlassCrafters is that
they have a hardcopy catalog. I get tired of browsing online, and I
can make notes and dogtag pages and circle items in the catalog. I
can also call in an order and ask them questions while I'm ordering.
They are very patient and happy to help.

Good luck, Michael

Old October 8th 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

"Michael" wrote in message
ps.com...
Jim asked:

Mind if I ask who you use?

Not at all! I've made two online glass buys now, both from
GlassCrafters.

I know them very well. We started out in business about the same time,
and they had a retail store up here 20 miles from me for many years, until
they went wholesale and moved to Florida. Say hi to big Jim for me.