Tired, tired subject

Old September 23rd 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

Default Tired, tired subject-michele

I forgot what i was going to say but remembered. The duel socket
(duel wall plug?) is a GREAT idea, and i wanna do that. But
everywhere i read, my iron, Weller W100, should not be used with a
temp control because the iron already has a temp control built in, and
an auxiliary temp control will only screw the device up, which makes
sense.

I'm a beginner and i gotta go faster. My hands still shake badly
because i'm nervous. You can imagine how the lines look.

THANKS

shawn

Old September 23rd 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker[_2_]

wrote in message
oups.com...

I forgot what i was going to say but remembered. The duel socket
(duel wall plug?) is a GREAT idea, and i wanna do that. But
everywhere i read, my iron, Weller W100, should not be used with a
temp control because the iron already has a temp control built in, and
an auxiliary temp control will only screw the device up, which makes
sense.

I'm a beginner and i gotta go faster. My hands still shake badly
because i'm nervous. You can imagine how the lines look.

THANKS

shawn

The Weller W100P (blue green in color with a 3 wire plug) can be switched to
a 600F tip. Your 60/40 solder melts at about 430F, and a 700F tip is NOT
too hot. I think you have another problem, maybe?

You don't have to bathe the project in flux. A little dab'll do ya. If you
are thinking the iron is too hot because of the flux boiling, you may be
misled. Cut back on the amount of flux and/or change brands. Try some
"No-Korode Paste flux" from Home Depot. If the molten solder is flying all
over the place like frying grease from a skillet full of bacon, then you
most likely have a flux issue. Use a Q-tip to apply the flux,
sparingly......

Just as a guess, depending on your project and how tightly your pieces fit
together, , you should be trying to solder at about 1/2" per second. "One
alligator, two alligator, etc." Unless you are just parking the iron in
one place, you (basically) can't solder too slowly in a copper foil
project. You'll know when you are going to slowly if the solder remains
molten long enough to run through the big gaps. Try to move your iron
slowly but smoothly and allow the solder to flow off the iron onto the foil,
almost like you were painting. Start and stop at intersections.

That 700F tip you have is not hot enough to harm the copper foil, and you
aren't going to break any glass unless you plant the tip on one place for 5
or 6 seconds or longer. Relax!!!!

Old September 23rd 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

Moonraker - Besides me, yes, i would hazard to guess there's another
problem, perhaps, more than one. But your info and demeanor is good,
and i very much appreciate it, and i'm going to solve this stupid
problem.

THANKS to everyone else, too!

shawn

Old September 23rd 07, 11:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker[_2_]

wrote in message
ups.com...

Moonraker - Besides me, yes, i would hazard to guess there's another
problem, perhaps, more than one. But your info and demeanor is good,
and i very much appreciate it, and i'm going to solve this stupid
problem.

THANKS to everyone else, too!

shawn

Shawn, you're doing this for a hobby, right? You don't have to be setting
any land speed records in your soldering. Go slow and try one thing at a
time.

I'd be your problem is with the flux; but one other thing, it is
impossible to solder with a dirty iron tip. Do you have a sal ammoniac cake?
You have to get the iron tip shiny clean. No crud or black spots on the
tip. Heat the iron up and burnish the tip clean on the sal ammoniac. If
you don't have one, get a pad of wet paper towels or newspaper and when the
iron is hot, plunge it into the flux for just a few seconds and then start
wiping the tip on t he wet paper. You want the solder to be flowing, even
dripping, off the iron tip. Fluxing the iron tip isn't reccomended, but you
can get away with it for a couple times. A brass bristle brush will help
clean the tip, too. Or a bronze or copper "brillo pad". Not a steel one.

Old September 24th 07, 05:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker[_2_]

"nJb" wrote in message
Let the record show that on 9/23/07 Shawn commented that Moonraker
exhibited good demeanor. Note that Moonraker exhibits good demeanor to
those who ask a question without acting like a know-it-all prick. It's
just that simple.

Jack

Actually, Jack, most people who come around here are treated pretty well
unless they are no-talent beadmeakers or know-it all shills. (Or a
son-of-a-shill.)

Actually, I'm surprised we haven't been inundated with links to the shill's
websites and turbo-soldering DVD's. But maybe he's too busy putting out
fires on another forum where he's getting torn up for more of the "selling
kilns and not delivering them" routine that he's become famous for.

Apparently he's cozied up with the beadmakers and glass blowers since being
banned from the fused glass forum. A match made in heaven, eh?

Old September 24th 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
nJb

Moonraker wrote:
"nJb" wrote in message

[...]

I'm surprised that he hasn't offered Shawn his super soldering techniques.

Jack
Old September 24th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker[_3_]

"nJb" wrote in message I'm surprised that he hasn't
offered Shawn his super soldering techniques.

Jack

What was the claim? Maybe 18" per second or something like that?

Old September 24th 07, 03:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Javahut[_4_]

"Moonraker" wrote in message
t...

"nJb" wrote in message I'm surprised that he hasn't
offered Shawn his super soldering techniques.

Jack

What was the claim? Maybe 18" per second or something like that?

If you guys keep it up, your wishes will be fulfilled!!

Old September 24th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker[_2_]

"Javahut" wrote in message

"Moonraker" wrote in message
t...

"nJb" wrote in message I'm surprised that he hasn't
offered Shawn his super soldering techniques.

Jack

What was the claim? Maybe 18" per second or something like that?

If you guys keep it up, your wishes will be fulfilled!!

It's been a while since I've bitch-slapped anybody. Maybe it's the
blood-lust coming out?

sew, sew tired julia sidebottom Quilting 8 September 21st 06 04:12 AM
Ot a bit tired Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 19 August 28th 06 06:00 AM
Italian Greaseballs, she wants to grasp tired hats for Elisa's sunshine, Hungover Tired Animal. David Formosa (aka ? the Platypussy) Knots 0 May 4th 06 07:54 AM
Ot very tired Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 16 March 24th 06 09:52 AM
way tired, not OT Terbear Quilting 4 July 24th 05 06:54 PM