Retail Glass Distributors

Old September 11th 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

Default Retail Glass Distributors

On Sep 11, 4:44 am, Michael wrote:
Three weeks to get the glass. Not three weeks before he would place
the order. He's running close to two months overdue. I'd like to get
the glass to build that transom window I put together way back when.

Michael

As a retailer I can sympathieze...with the cost of fuel/freight today,
I have to wait till I have at least a full crate's worth of glass to
order. Even getting glass shipped, cut down and in a cardboard box
hardly makes it worthwhile to do small special orders anymore...and I
have to make a living or at least something close to it.

Andy

Old September 11th 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

Norma wrote:

Have you tried Sunshine glassworks?

****************
No, I haven't. Tracy's, Cathedral, and Glass Crafters are the three I
know of. I've ordered from Glass Crafters.

So, sunshineglassworks.com? If that doesn't work, I'll Google for it.

Thank you, Michael

Old September 11th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

Moonraker wrote:

Is there no SG store in " India-no-place?" Or Cincinatti?...

As you probably have noticed, the 3x3 samples aren't always the same
as the real sheets when you see them in person.

***************
Indianapolis is an option. I can get there in a little over an hour.
But it's hit or miss as far as finding what I want. My plan is to
bail out on buying from pictures, buy the Spectrum and Kokomo samples
and take my chances with them ordering online somewhere. Unless the
local shop becomes more responsive.

My problem is that I haven't bought enough glass yet to establish what
particular kinds represent what I want. I've made a list of generic
glass I want and it's under 25 types. I plan on doing 90% of my
windows/lamps from those 25 types. I will just take a chance and
order a small amount (two to four square feet are easy to get paying
retail) of a particular type and if it doesn't match my expectations,
I'll just keep ordering till I hit on what I want. The glass that
isn't exactly what I want will still find a use. I'll find a use for
it.

Or perhaps the Bloomfield glass shop will become a valid source. That
would be wonderful. I would like to buy from a local shop if at all
possible.

Thank you for posting.

Michael

Old September 12th 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
michele

If i were starting out, i might consider the 'pony case' from Kokokomo, or
similar from Spectrum. (or both) i don't remember exactly but each would
contain a medley of glass colors and they are all hobby size (12 x 12 or 8 x
10) so they are easy to store. Just flip the crate on it's side! That way
you could have a good sampling of popular glass colors to start with. They
are inexpensive so if there is one color you hate, well, ... Then, when you
have actually worked with the types/colors, you can order more of the faves
in larger sizes. Kokomo doesn't cut the same way spectrum does either so the
pon y cases can help you decide how each works for you. m
"Michael" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old September 12th 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

Moonraker wrote:

[...]

Michael- Hide quoted text -

Keep in mind that the Spectrum Rack Packs contain glass that is
usually "transition" glass and is not a stock glass. Some glass in the
Rack Pack is stock but you'll have no way of know what the mfg number
is. I'm pretty sure that the same applies to the Kok Pony Pack.
And...you'll end up getting some real "dogs" in the bunch.

Old September 13th 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
michele

I never found that to be true. Used to buy them for the retail turn around.
All glass was guaranteed first offs. Maybe things have changed or maybe they
offer both?? m

ups.com...

Old September 13th 07, 01:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Ron Parker

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:05:22 -0700, Michael wrote:
Indianapolis is an option. I can get there in a little over an hour.
But it's hit or miss as far as finding what I want. My plan is to
bail out on buying from pictures, buy the Spectrum and Kokomo samples
and take my chances with them ordering online somewhere. Unless the
local shop becomes more responsive.

I'll second Javahut's recommendation that you just go to the factory in
Kokomo. You'll have to go either during business hours or on Saturday
morning, but it's well worth the drive. http://www.theopshop.com/

In addition to the sale-quality glass they have on hand in the op shop,
there's also an area where they sell scraps and tails suitable for smaller
projects, and the prices are very reasonable. If you're going to Indy
anyway, Kokomo is a nice quick drive up US 31.

I've got at least two good stained glass retailers here in Fort Wayne, both
with pretty decent selections, and I still drive down to Kokomo from time
to time just because I can.

And yeah, the tour's worth the time, too, if you can make it on a Wednesday
or a Friday morning.

Old September 13th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

On Sep 12, 4:28 pm, "michele" wrote:
I never found that to be true. Used to buy them for the retail turn around.
All glass was guaranteed first offs. Maybe things have changed or maybe they
offer both?? m

wrote in message

ups.com...

Keep in mind that the Spectrum Rack Packs contain glass that is
usually "transition" glass and is not a stock glass. Some glass in the
Rack Pack is stock but you'll have no way of know what the mfg number
is. I'm pretty sure that the same applies to the Kok Pony Pack.
And...you'll end up getting some real "dogs" in the bunch.- Hide quoted text -

I'm positive about the Spectrum Rack Pack. They even promote them as
some first runs, some seconds and some transistions between color runs
as well as some glass that maybe be speciality for other customers. I
probably get in a dozen or so during the year and if you aren't
positive about a certain color...like say a 136RR, you might get a
136RR in the Rack Pack that is actually a slight shade lighter. In
fact, Spectrum frowns on anyone selling Rack Pack glass as actual
"stock" glass. Distributors can actually lose their contract if they
do that.

Old September 13th 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
michele

well, it still may be a good way for a newbie to get started since he most
likely won't be needing to match large areas of color, nor will he likely
end up being so proud of his learning pieces once he has graduated..... m
wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 12, 4:28 pm, "michele" wrote:
I never found that to be true. Used to buy them for the retail turn
around.
All glass was guaranteed first offs. Maybe things have changed or maybe
they
offer both?? m

ups.com...

Old September 15th 07, 02:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
racing John

Indy has a glass store over on 10th st on the west side and
Merry-go-round over on the northeast side and they both have alot of
glass, I come from Louisville to Indy to get some glass that I havent
found here, I will get the address and name and post them