Thermal Pane

Old July 14th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Chemo the Clown

Default Thermal Pane

On Jul 13, 11:57 pm, nJb wrote:
Michael wrote:
Jack wrote:

We do it all the time at our studio. If you can't figure it out you
might want to take it to a pro.

***************
I think I'd hesitate to do it myself, but it doesn't keep me from
being curious about the technique and the hardware. Southern Glass
said that there was somebody in Indianapolis who could do it for me.

Thanks, Michael

That spacer you are talking about is the adhesive and dessicant. Comes
in rolls of various thicknesses. The black stuff is silicone. We often
install at 3000' higher elevation than we build them. We install a
capillary tube to equalize the pressure and pull it out at the installed
elevation.

Jack

In my neck of the woods only a flexible spacer is used on curvy stuff.
Aluminum spacer bars for everything else. The bars are 3/8" wide and
3/8" tall and generally one bar is half filled with dessicant to
absorb any moisture trapped between the two pieces of glass. Hot butyl
is then applied with a squeeze gun to the edge of the unit. If stained
glass goes into the unit then neoprene block are inserted into the
butyl at the bottom of the unit to prevent the unit from pushing the
spacer bar into the butyl.

Old August 11th 07, 05:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
John Bassett

On Jul 13, 1:01?pm, Michael wrote:
I visited with a very nice lady at Southern Glass down here at
Jacksonville a few days ago. They were using a perimeter spacer and
adding a eighth-inch plate of glass to either side, making the panes a
complete and energy-efficient window between outside and inside.

Has anybody else done this? Is there any description of the hardware
and procedure necessary to do it?

Thanks, Michael

I like JK Sinrod's reply. Sandwiching stained glass inside a double
glazed, insulating window isn't worth doing. The black sealant used
by lots of reputable window manufacturers fails often. I've worked as
a builder for many years and have seen many such windows - Pella,
Harvey, JB, and custom windows - fog up. This is failure of the
sealant. The better way to make an insulating window is with heat,
which Andersen did with their "permashield" windows. If you want to
protect stained glass use heavy plate, or polycarbonate sheet, or
sandwich it without trying to make an insulating panel. Insulating
panels are not much better than single panels anyway. Well, they're
twice as good - but still not very good. Most of the heat lost
through windows is by drafts.

Old August 12th 07, 05:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

"John Bassett" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

One of the 1st things I learning at the end of the cheap fuel days was
that infiltration is 95% of energy loss. Simple glazing, caulk and mouldings
solves most of it. With each extra layer of glazing from single to double to
triple, you gain a smaller advantage, and a longer period of recovery of
costs. I always chuckle when they ask about energy efficiency when I see a
Hummer parked next to the Lexus in their driveway!

--
JK Sinrod
www.SinrodStudios.com

Old October 1st 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glasatelier Max

Hello,

I saw your post just now. (a little late maybe)
It's just a small handjob. please look at the link.
You'll see the complete proces in the movie.
The whole proces takes about 15 to 20 minutes
per window, bigger windows take a slightly more time.

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=D_akDCFQQMc

greetings
Glasatelier Max.

"Michael" schreef in bericht