Good news, and agonizing over kiln purchase

Old October 14th 03, 06:11 PM
Kalera Stratton

Default Good news, and agonizing over kiln purchase

OK, I finally quit my job (YAY!) and even though I'm gonna miss it
there, I am now living my lifelong dream of being a self-supporting
artist! OK, well, I'll be living that dream in a week when I'm all done
with my scheduled hours at Rejuv.

So, amidst my celebrating, I realized that I really, really have to have
a bigger kiln. The cute little Jen-Ken that I just bought simply doesn't
have anywhere close to the capacity that I need! Argh. So, I'm on a
quest to choose the right kiln, one I won't outgrow. And I like to make
decisions fast, to get them out of the way; I don't want to spend more
than three days thinking about it.

I was on the verge of buying a Fusebox II, partly because they're here
in Portland, but I'm concerned about capacity; the last thing I want is
to find I've bought a kiln that's not quite big enough! I was wondering
if anyone here has experience with the Fusebox II, and can report on
both positives and negatives. The other kiln I'm considering is the
Arrow Springs 1813, which is a slightly bigger kiln. Both seem to be
extremely high-quality kilns.

Any input will be gratefully welcomed!

Thanks in advance,

--
-Kalera

---------

http://www.beadwife.com
auctions at http://www.snurl.com/1sfe
Old October 14th 03, 06:44 PM
Tink

What about this one? http://www.waleapparatus.com/details/40_1165.asp

It will also slump and fuse, and is large enough to hold bigger (and more)
stuff

--

Tink

www.blackswampglassworks.com
Sign Up Now For Fall Workshops!
Hollows, Vessels & Florals...

Old October 14th 03, 07:03 PM
Mj

Consider the Skutt kiln he
http://www.skutt.com/glass/products/frtloader.php

I have one with the bead door but I use it for fusing - and it will do PMC.
It's very easy to use and they're in Portland too.

Mj

--
=================================
Marjean Cline

Old October 14th 03, 07:44 PM
Karen_AZ

I have the Arrow Springs 1810 (slightly smaller) and I love it! I've had it
for 5 years now with ZERO problems ever. Last December I graduated to a
digital controller, but prior to that I just used my infinite switch. It
reaches temperature quickly, holds well, and cools of nice and slow. It IS
big and bulky, but one perk is the "feet" you get for it....raises it off
the table, allows airflow, and it's a great place for extra glass storage.

--
KarenK
Desert Dreamer Designs

Old October 14th 03, 10:19 PM
MargieK

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 17:11:52 GMT, Kalera Stratton
wrote:

Any input will be gratefully welcomed!

You know I don't have any advise on the kiln but I just have to
say...YEAAAAAAAAAAA!!! More Kalera!

--
Margie
http://www.PictureTrail.com/margiek

Old October 14th 03, 11:21 PM
Kandice Seeber

I have the Fusebox, which is the same as the 2nd model, just older, I
believe. I has plenty of capacity - I can easily put the 40-50 beads I can
do in a session in the kiln. Especially if I put more than one spacer on a
mandrel.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs