Window inserts

Old August 5th 03, 07:32 PM
Harold E. Keeney \(Hal\)

Default Window inserts

A friend of mine just bought an older house with a
a very sturdy structure. All of the windows and doors are very deeply (3 &
4 inches) set. He would
like to have several windows done with stained glass. The exterior windows
are very well set and
are weatherproof. Instead of replacing the existing windows, I have
suggested mounting his stained
glass inside.

I have done this in the past with 18" octagonal windows with breathing holes
to prevent moisture
and mounted so that they can be removed for any
cleaning as needed. His entrance doorway has a
a very large glass, with two sidelights and a full
width fan at the top.

Does anyone see any pitfalls in doing interior glass
installed against a wooden stop. Also, should this
be all lead came or a combination of lead and copper foil? Thanks for any
ideas or suggestions.

Hal

Old August 6th 03, 09:56 PM
Harold E. Keeney \(Hal\)

Thanks for the tips Andy! A couple of questions.
(1) Increasing the space between the two panels
of glass - shouldn't cause any additional problems?
(2) What area are you in? I'm in Virginia near the
North carolina border.
Hal

"Andy T." wrote in message
m...
Foil or lead? All depends on the design and what you and your client
decide you both like. You could even mix the two.

All the windows I do that are installed in the manner you are doing, a
1/2 x 3/4 inch stop is set against the existing glass then the stained
glass is set againt the stops. Moulding is then pin nailed to hold the
stained glass in place. If you are in an area where you are concerned
about possible moisture getting between the stained glass and the
exterior glass, then use larger moulding and notch out spaces on the
moulding to allow for more air to get inbetween. In my area, just
lightly pin nailing the moulding against the stained glass has always
worked and in over 23 years, I have never had a panel have any
problems with moisture buildup.

Good luck!

Andy

Old August 8th 03, 12:15 AM
Harold E. Keeney \(Hal\)

Thanks, Andy,

And I thought the Oregon coast was practically a rain forest!
Although this has been the wettest year Virginia has had in
109 years, I don't think it will create a problem. Just wanted
to get an idea of what I shouldn't do, as I haven't done any
full window-sized inserts. Guess I should go ahead and try.
Thanks to all the other great people who either contributed
thru the group, or contacted me directly by email.

Hal

"Andy T." wrote in message
om...
I'm in Oregon, Hal. The space between the two could be as little as
1/2 inch. I've installed most where the stained glass sits right
against the clear. Your area might have higher humidity and so a 1/2
inch space with a couple of notched holes in the moulding (top and
bottom) ought to provide plenty of air to get in and circulate. Of
course you also run the risk of bugs getting in there....:-)