Glass from hell

Old September 26th 07, 07:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Lauri Levanto

Default Glass from hell

Moonraker wrote:
"Michael" wrote in message
ups.com...
Javahut wrote:

I have found with a great many people, their cutting improves when
they stop trying to shove the wheel thru the glass.

************
Haha! Guilty as charged.

Michael

Yeah, me, too.

About two years ago, I had the opportunity to collaborate in my studio with
Mr. Javahut on a huge SG project that I had to complete under some tight
deadlines. I've been in and around the glass business for a few 24 hrs now,
and I considered myself a pretty good craftsman and pretty proficient in
cutting glass. My jaw hung open as I watched Java cut down sheet after
sheet of opal glass with nary a stray run.

I can tell you from first hand experience and observation that his
"lighten-up" advice is what everybody needs to do. He taught me to listen
to the sound the score makes. Different kinds (and manufacturers) of glass
need different pressures to score properly, but the sound of a correct
score is pretty similar. You'll know that sweet sound when you hear it.

Using a bathroom scale to figure out how much pressure you are putting on
the glass is, well, just plain latrine advice. Believe what you are told
by people who actually make a living in the glass business, not a
discredited scam artist.

P.S....next time you have a trip to Atlanta, send me a private email.
Maybe we can hook up?

In addition what Moonraker said (listen the sound)
there are acouple of other cues.
- If you get any tiny schards, you are over pressing
- Look at the score. It must be a hardly visble clean line with no
jagged edges
- After breaking, look at the cutting surface with a magnifying glass.
A bad score leaves deep scale-like irregularities,
a good score has onlu slight scales and the core of the glass
is broken clear and straight

-lauri
Old September 26th 07, 12:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

"Michael" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was doing a rose window over the weekend and I got in a wrestling
match with some Spectrum red ruby waterglass and it just about whupped
me. I produced scrap on about a quarter of the pieces, having to redo
some three times.

To be honest, it wasn't all the glass's fault. I'd been lucky with
easy cutting glass before that and I got into bad habits like not
doing preliminary cuts on concave parts. I also found out that I just
about had to do just one cut and break at a time. Multiple cuts
before breaking broke into the other cuts.

Anyway, this window is my third now and I can see the quality of my
work improving. Very satisfying. I'm getting closer fits with less
grinding.

Michael

First of all red is one of the easier ones to work with. Next, I NEVER
score and break more than 1 cut at a time. I've taught thousands..... "1
score, 1 break". I think that all those "relief cuts" are useless, and only
make the area you're working with weaker, more prone to trouble, and later
crack running when soldering. Sure there's always different ways to do
things, but my way works everytime.

--
JK Sinrod
www.SinrodStudios.com

Old September 26th 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

On Sep 25, 7:02 pm, " Moonraker" wrote:
"Michael" wrote in message

ups.com...

Javahut wrote:

[...]

Odd that Bullseye Glass would adopt that latrine advice and post it on
their website.

Old September 26th 07, 05:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
michele

haa! i wondered where you stole that from!m

Old September 26th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

On Sep 26, 9:33 am, "michele" wrote:
haa! i wondered where you stole that from!m

Odd that Bullseye Glass would adopt that latrine advice and post it on
their website.

It was borrowed the other way.
Along with many other glass techniques, I've been teaching the scale
trick for over 20 years and taught it 10 years ago at Las Vegas Glass
Craft Expo. The Cutting Clinic classes my son and I taught always
sold out - usually had to accept an overflow.

Watch for a series of how to cut glass videos on Glass Campus. The
one now up on cutting a circle is very popular. Along with a dozen or
so more articles, I expect to have the videos on tapping and grozing
loaded next week or so. Of particular interest to stained glass
beginners (especially the basement bandits) is a detailed article on
how to price stained glass. It will be accompanied by an article on
Marketing (how to find clients and how to sell your work).

http://www.glasscampus.com/tutorials.htm

Old September 26th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker[_2_]

wrote in message
oups.com...
..

It was borrowed the other way.

snip predictible self-serving scamming bull****

So now you are claiming that Bullseye stole "YOUR" idea? Bwahahahahaha!

Don't you have enough to do covering your tracks on you kiln sales scams
without displaying your ignorance around here?

BTW, the "latrine" reference was because you are a **** head. LOL

Old September 26th 07, 08:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

On Sep 26, 11:12 am, " Moonraker" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...
.

http://www.glasscampus.com/tutorials...apt_or_Die.pdf

Old September 26th 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

On Sep 26, 10:33 am, wrote:
[...]

I hope your not taking the scale trick as your invention. I've been
using it for almost 30 years. BTW...what happened to you this year at
Las Vegas??

Old September 26th 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

On Sep 26, 2:00 pm, " wrote:
On Sep 26, 10:33 am, wrote:

[...]

I was in exhibit booth 106 busy writing orders for kilns, and wet
belt sanders and rociprolaps and glass and loads of other great
stuff. Same as I'll be next year. Exhibit space is already booked.
http//www.debrady.com/about/VegasExpo/Dennis%20Vegas%202007.jpg

I have a fantastic assortment of brand new products to be introduced
next Vegas Expo. Might even have the first "Victorian Master Artisan"
kiln on exhibit. Watch for my ad on the inside front cover of the
show schedule catalog (same place it is every year). The latest
edition of "A Lazy Man's Guide to Stained Glass" will be there - along
with the new book "A Beginner's Guide to Kiln Cookin' Glass".

Old September 27th 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Jman

On Sep 26, 3:32 pm, wrote:
On Sep 26, 2:00 pm, " wrote:

On Sep 26, 10:33 am, wrote:

[...]

with the new book "A Beginner's Guide to Kiln Cookin' Glass".- Hide quoted text -

Awesome, I really need to learn more about glass trends and such... I
might even have to go down to Vegas this coming year.... After all,
Vegas is about to become 'My Mexico'. Buy Canadian T-Bills and retire
early !

Heh, heh....

/MM

FO: The Socks from Hell Nyssa Yarn 6 October 16th 05 12:57 AM
Back from DIY hell! ally Beads 8 September 14th 04 08:12 AM
Stole from Hell. Cher Yarn 11 November 9th 03 08:03 AM
OH HELL NO -- (hearts two) Becki Beads 3 August 27th 03 06:33 PM