Focus on Design: Storm at Sea

Old September 24th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default Focus on Design: Storm at Sea

Focus on Design is my once in a while
thread. I start one when the moods
strikes. The purpose it to discuss the
design elements of a designated quilt
top. This is not the place to talk about
chocolate, sewing machines, kids or
other popular issues. Please reserve
those for other threads. In this thread,
let's FOCUS ON DESIGN: STORM AT SEA
QUILTS!

Here are two from Debi's album ... these
are quilts she photographed at a
recent quilt show. The first, Marie
Karickhoff's Red Tide, is the
traditional S@S setting with an uncommon
red and white color way. It carries
some of the block elements into the border.
http://tinyurl.com/hl7oz
The second one, Kim Moore's Tropical
Storm, has a unique setting, and a
unique multicolored variation. It has
Virginia Reel blocks in the border.
http://tinyurl.com/mmx83

Here is a coloring page with a S@S
'quilt' design. http://tinyurl.com/oq99j
I do not care for the 'double sashing'
or whatever you might call that. I like
the 'single' version as in Red Tide,
above. The Quilter's Cache Version also
has the 'double sashing' look.
http://www.quilterscache.com/S_U/StormAtSeaBlock.html

If you want to see some patterns, go to
Block Central and click on any of the
three links. http://tinyurl.com/oq99j

Sew, do you have a Storm At Sea Quilt?
Steve in Alaska said he made one ages
ago. I hope he posts a photo of that
one. I have been 'saving blues & greens'
for one for ages. Maybe this thread will
give me the push to start! How about you?

PAT in Virginia, USA

Old September 24th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Georg

Pat in Virginia wrote:

Sew, do you have a Storm At Sea Quilt? Steve in Alaska said he made one
ages ago. I hope he posts a photo of that one. I have been 'saving blues
& greens' for one for ages. Maybe this thread will give me the push to
start! How about you?

Mum's first quilt was a SAS. I picked out the pattern and the fabric.
It's on my bed right now (it still keeps my toes warm). I did not pick a
light, medium and dark- I picked a light, another light, and a medium,
because I wanted all lavender. Um, the contrast was not enough there-
this is a design that needs the contrast.

She did it all by hand, and it has held up to daily use over the past
20+ years.

-georg
Old September 24th 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
steve

Oh my, you still want a picture of that old Storm at Sea quilt? I have a
request in to my Mom, so someday I might get a picture of it. I dare say it
is quite ugly considering that the colors of the 80's were browns and rusts
and things like that. Not that browns and rusts are bad, but when one looks
back one sometimes wonders. I have seen some now days that are beautiful
with all the new colors that we have at our disposal. If somebody could
just teach me how to sew those three odd shaped triangles together into one
nice rectangle I would be all set. I just can't seem to ever get it right.
I very much avoid blocks with such triangles. Oh well.

Steve in Alaska

Old September 24th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

This is one of my favourite patterns.
I have only used it once, though. I didn't have a pattern, and it was
early in my quilting life, so I found a quilt made with the block. I
worked out the block, and reproduced it in the size I wanted. However,
I didn't notice that half of 'the block' was sashing. So, I included
the sashing twice. Grrrr. But I didn't know any better at the time.
(Our Internet connection is iffy at the moment, so I can't get to see
those pictures, but I assume that's what you meant by the double
sashing?).
One of our really good quilting ladies - Gwenfai Rees Griffiths - made a
most beautiful SAS quilt, but her colour placement was very different
from the usual one. Thereafter I looked very carefully at how folk
who've made these quilts have placed the colours. It can make an
amazing difference.

I find it fascinating to see how an extremely simple 'block' - the
centre - can be completely transformed by the addition of a pieced
sashing (in the same way as those sashings with corners of contrasting
colours can make stars at the intersections. This is such a very 'cool'
way to do things.

One of these days, I might try a miniature in this pattern. I think it
would go very well in a small scale.

I'll try to have a look at the pictures in the morning - if the Internet
gnomes will let me!

Thanks for raising this block as our focus this time. I hope to learn
lots about it.

In message U3BRg.3864$vC3.997@dukeread02, Pat in Virginia
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 24th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debi Matlack

I really *really* want to make one bad, but I don't know if starting yet
ANOTHER project is a good idea, with school and work and all that Real Life
crap to deal with. Then again, it's never stopped me before. I see mine a
bit on the Amish side, with blues+/-greens +/- purples on a black
background. Maybe doing small prints/mottled/ blenders on solid black or
solid (looking) colors on BOB. That way it will show the maximum cat hair
when employed. ;-)

--
Debi

Chaos, panic and disorder ... my work here is done.

Old September 24th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennell

HI Pat - I don't have a Storm at Sea in the works but I do find it to
be an intriguing design - so many possibilities to play with - trouble
is to choose the colour palette to begin with. I also suggest using
the webshots search to see 122 photos of 'Storm at Sea' quilts in one
place.
jennellh (change the mail to news)
http://community.webshots.com/user/barnyowl

Old September 24th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kellie J. Berger

Jennell,

I did just that and i think this
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...40960361TCXvAk may be
one of my favorites yet! two fav. blocks in one!

kellie

oups.com...

Old September 25th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Pat in Virginia wrote:
In this thread, let's FOCUS ON DESIGN: STORM AT SEA QUILTS!

At the Malvern Show there was a Storm at Sea Quilt which had a small
hand painted scene (Acrylics?) in the centre of each block - 30 of them.
The pictures were quite detailed landscapes of places of significance to
the quilter and were only about 3" each. I have a photograph of the
whole quilt and a closeup of one of one of the paintings but
unfortunately don't know the name of the person who made it, and don't
want to get shot down by the Copyright police! Until you were really
close you didn't realise the pictures were hand painted. It was amazing.

I have S at S in my 'to do one day folder, but mine wont have painted
pictures on it!

--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)
Old September 25th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
A&T

I have a small storm at sea in progress.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/momiix...b0.jpg&.src=ph

That isn't a very good photo of it and it has the borders on it now. If
I could figure out why the pictures no longer load into picture project,
I'd update the photo!

I like this pattern and will probably make it again.

Tricia
http://photos.yahoo.com/momiixii

Old September 25th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Default When the Storn at Sea subsides was Focus on Design: Storm at Sea

Over on the Virtual Quilters group we played with SaS a
while ago in EQ and I came up with this colouring
http://tinyurl.com/g22gj
http://tinyurl.com/k72h9

I am chatting with another member about the easiest piecing
method (maybe FPP) and possibly eliminating some of the
seams, and came up with a set of three blocks - all the same
size and square - to make the design
http://tinyurl.com/j56j6

So although this started out as a Storm at Sea is has
developed into something very different.

This one is one long green loop and one purple strip (top
left to top right), twisted and woven
http://tinyurl.com/fbc5c

I love the implied circles from this block, and I am always
drawn to strong geometric designs, so this was always on my
"one day" list
--

Cheryl & the Cats
o o o o o o

news : This is one of my favourite patterns.
:
[...]
: --
: Best Regards
: pat on the hill