I am curious now...

Old July 15th 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
~KK in BC~

Default I am curious now...

What kinds of machines do we own? and how old are these machines? and what
do we prefer age/brand wise? (sorry if this is a repeat but I don't have the
time to go back into the archives right now and I am a terribly curious
person)

I have:
1964 Kenmore in original cabinet with all the original cams and accessories.
My favourite machine to use at this time.

1992 Kenmore. Just a simple machine with 10 stitches. Wonderful machine for
hemming and mending of our uniforms and such. Light and easy to drag out for
emergency surgery!

and my newest acquired machine
1960's Bernina 731 with ALL the bells and whistles. I cant wait to try this
baby out and possibly make it my new favourite machine!

Oh and I also own a brand new Kenmore serger that I have used once. I must
learn how to use it and get comfortable with that kind of machine since it
is a bit out of my comfort zone.

I find that I prefer the old, heavy, simpler machines to the new fancy
computerized ones. I learned on a simple Elna knee control and I guess that
is where my loyalty lies when it comes to using machines. I know how to rip
them apart and put them back together and they still work when I am done
with that! LOL (yes, that is important to me for some odd reason?)

~KK in BC~ who is patiently waiting to inherit my mom's machines, a FW
singer of unknown age, a treadle that belonged to my grandmother in MINT
condition, another FW of unknown origin but sews like a dream, her new
serger from Singer, and her newest SM also a Singer (but computerized so I
am not really excited about that one LOL) Sadly she has disposed of her
industrial upholstery machine before I could claim it.

Old July 15th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debbi in SO CA

I have a 6 year old Husqvarana Viking Designer 2 with the embroidery
unit. I only quilt, hate to sew!

AOT

Old July 15th 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debbi in SO CA

Forget the ending to last message, meant that part for someone else.
Back is killing me and just got back from the latest Harry Potter movie
which was awful. Brain is not working

Debbi in SO CA

Old July 15th 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Betty in Wi

I have my mother's old Singer Redeye treadle that I learned to sew on, 2
featherweights, a Singer 301, a Singer 401, a Singer 503, and a realitively
new Bernina. Can you tell I like old Singers. It's a challenge for me to
tear them apart and get them working. And they sew beautifully. My Bernina
is the one I use most, however.

Betty in WI

Old July 15th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

Current machines:
Main machine is a Viking #1,(not the #1+). Love this machine. It sits in
a table, has a front load bobbin case and is great for most anything I
can think of.
Also have a Viking Rose, with embroidery module. This is my "travel"
machine. Don't use the embroidery module much at all. And really should,
but don't have a place to really set it up and make it easily accessible.
Singer 66, in a table. (I think it from the 1950's sometime) DH picked
this one up for me at Goodwill, for $20. Had to put about $200 into
repairs and replacement parts (rewiring, pressure foot and screw, bobbin
cover, new lamp, needle screw, etc). Should be a good little machine,
and DH wants me to teach him how to use it too. BG

Also have a Singer Stylist (?) in the trunk of the car. It has a "frozen
gear" according to the person I got it from. Cost me all of $5, so it
may turn out to be a good little machine too when I can afford to get it
looked at. G (Even have the manual for this one.)

Still mourning my Viking 6460. Wonderful machine, that I loaned to a
"friend". Friends and the machine disappeared. sigh. Love that machine
and would love to find one. Even though they are so old that it is
difficult to find parts for them now.

Pati, in Phx
http://community.webshots.com/user/PatiCooks

Old July 15th 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

"~KK in BC~" wrote in message
What kinds of machines do we own? and how old are these machines? and what
do we prefer age/brand wise? (sorry if this is a repeat but I don't have
the
time to go back into the archives right now and I am a terribly curious
person)

Is there enough bandwidth for some of our lists? ;-)

My list is:

Three modern Janomes, one of which I'll get around to selling eventually.
Two sergers, both inherited and rarely used.
One longarm
Two complete treadles (1890's Minnesota VS, 1900 Singer VS). I adore the
Minnesota, but the Singer is my main piecing machine because I can use a
modern 1/4" foot on it.
Three treadle heads and one e-machine in various conditions. One of the
treadle heads is a parts machine; one is slated to get converted to a hand
crank. The other head and the e-machine are eventually destined to find
loving homes somewhere.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

Old July 15th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

ooops........
Forgot the sergers. Have a Huskylock 560EDT (?) and a White Speedylock.
The Husky sits in the same table, other leg of the "U" as my #1, the
White is my travel serger. G

One of these days I hope to own my grandmother's treadle. sigh. My aunt
has it, sitting as a TV stand, because she "learned to sew on it", even
though Grandma had told me I could have it. sigh. Hope I do get it
eventually. My aunt's daughter doesn't sew that I know of.

I also will get my dad's sister's machine. Not sure what it is-- but
everyone agrees that I should have it since I am the one cousin that
really does the most sewing. G It is currently in Texas, (Cañon
county??) if anyone is heading through there to this part of the world
and wants to do a "pony express" deal. VBG
I may try to figure out a way to stop by and pick it up on the way home
from Houston in November. It is out of the way, but can't be any more
out of the way than Midland was. VBG (And visiting family I haven't
seen in over 30 years would be a heck of a lot better than sitting while
waiting to have an engine replaced.VBG)

Old July 15th 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Well, there are sewing machines and then there are sewing machine.
Outside around the yard are 3 or 4 old SInger carcass only machines.
They are tucked in bushes here and there.

In the garage are several 201's a couple Spartan's I think a 127 and a
couple 401's and a 500 and probably if James isn't looking there are a
few more tucked here and there. I know for sure of a couple of small
oddball VS oldies.

There is an old Sewhandy, the precursor to the FW in the new 'barn'.
I am having a devil of a time finding my parts but there are a few boxes
of those too. (I mentioned I could help someone here with a tension
assembly and I still can't find those parts. Whoever that was I am
sorry. Sherry maybe? )

Inside I have my first ever machine a Singer treadle. Still works but
my computer sits on it these days. I have 2 FW's. Grandma's original
and a beauty of a Centennial that dh gave me. I have a couple of black
301's, and a brother PQ1500 that I need to sell. My beloved Bernina 930
and new Janome 6600 are here in residence also. James has a Singer 306
somewhere around here too.

There are probably more. If you asked what do you sew on the answer
would be real different. My Brother 1500 and the B. 930 were my
main machines with a 301 going to quilt classes. I am trying to work
over to the Janome 6600. I am going for that class Tuesday so I hope
that is going to help getting me sewing on that pretty much for most
stuff. I adapted my favorite old sewing cabinet so that it fits flush
and it is in front of the sunny window and good to go.

Taria

BTW, I got my grandma's FW when mom passed. Inheriting a machine is
good but it seems to happen way too soon. Love the machine, but sure
miss my mama.

Old July 15th 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I have a Bernette serger too. Forgot all about that one. I do use
it once in awhile. We argue a bit but she still has some life in her.
Taria

Old July 15th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I bought a new Janome 6600 a few months back, but got off track in
quilting/sewing with my hip surgery. I LOVE that machine!!! Bought a
gently used Janome Jem a few weeks ago and haven't even tried it out. I
have a 1950 (the year I was born!) Singer 15-91 in an adapted cabinet from
some off-brand sewing machine- bought the machine and cabinet at a flea
market for $25 and all I wanted was the cabinet. ;-) And a 1932 Singer 66
Redeye treadle that's a *blast* to sew on- I usually keep it behind the sofa
as a gorgeous sofa table. I love them all for their unique talents!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

PS: My son is driving me to see my surgeon Monday- I hope to be able to
start some weight bearing- it's been almost TEN WEEKS! I'm ready to start
walking!

just curious??? (not OT) A&T Quilting 4 November 28th 06 03:56 AM
Curious Catherine Beads 76 December 5th 05 07:54 PM
just curious m4816k Jewelry 1 May 15th 05 06:54 PM
Just curious Ophelia Yarn 4 August 14th 03 04:15 AM