Using dye to match a color?

Old April 22nd 05, 06:57 AM

Default Using dye to match a color?

I'm hoping I will be able to match some fabric to a specific color.

We got new aprons at work which are dark marroon in color. The old
aprons had straps that went across the shoulders and crossed on the
back. Thenew aprons just have the neck strap that pulls the weight down
on the back of the neck. So, I want to put new straps onto the aprons.

I bought some material today, but it is not quite the same color. It's
a tad lighter than the aprons. Is there a way to dye something so that
it becomes a little darker?

Or is there a way to dye specifically to match a specific color? The
closest dye I could find is called wine color. And it also looks
lighter than the apron.

I also have the old apron strings which are navy blue. I don't know if
it would be possible to dye them for a decent match.

I would also like to know how long you should wait to wash something
that has been dyed. I don't want to clean away the color, but I need to
wash the straps and know the color is coorect before I put them on the
new aprons.

Old April 22nd 05, 07:17 AM
Sally Holmes

I'm hoping I will be able to match some fabric to a specific color.

Is there a way to dye something so that
it becomes a little darker?

Or is there a way to dye specifically to match a specific color? The
closest dye I could find is called wine color. And it also looks
lighter than the apron.

How well you can dye something depends on what it's made of. Cotton, linen,
ramie, hemp and other cellulose fibres dye very well with Procion MX dye,
which are easy to use at room temperatures using safe household chemicals.
Protein fibres such as silk, wool, soy silk etc need acid dyes, again with
household chemicals (a glug of vinegar) but they need temps around boiling
point.

There are many suppliers of Procion MX, including possibly your local craft
store. They're relatively expensive for small quantities. There are better
suppliers for larger quantities but I can't tell you where becaue you don't
say where you live. They should come with directions.

If you material is a cotton/synthetic blend, the cotton part will dye but
the synthetic part won't. Depending on how well the two are blended, you'll
get a lighter shade or a heathery mix.

Dyes are transparent, so the new colour will be the original with an overlay
of the dye colour. It sounds like you need a small amount of navy blue or
brown. You'll have to experiment, and you may not get a perfect match.

It takes years of practice to dye something a perfect match. I know people
who can, but I'm not one of them.

I would also like to know how long you should wait to wash something
that has been dyed. I don't want to clean away the color, but I need
to wash the straps and know the color is coorect before I put them on
the new aprons.

If you use Procion it will take a couple of hours for it to fix, then it'll
need rinsing and the excess dye will need washing out - just run it through
a hot wash with soething like the dog towels. After that it'll be completely
colourfast.

HTH, let me know if you want more information.

--
Sally Holmes
Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England

Old April 22nd 05, 07:38 AM

Sally Holmes wrote:

How well you can dye something depends on what it's made of. Cotton,

linen,

I think the material I bought is cotton or cotton/polyester. I'm not
sure about my old apron. I took off the tags long ago. I do know that
they are bleach resistant, so they may be dye resistant as well.

If you material is a cotton/synthetic blend, the cotton part will dye

but
the synthetic part won't. Depending on how well the two are blended,

you'll
get a lighter shade or a heathery mix.

I suspect I will just have to do some trial and error.

Dyes are transparent, so the new colour will be the original with an

overlay
of the dye colour. It sounds like you need a small amount of navy

blue or
brown. You'll have to experiment, and you may not get a perfect

match.

The material I bought is almost the color I want, just a tad light. The
only blue apron strings would only be good if I can dye them marroon to
match the new apron. Less sewing since they are already perfect apron
strings, but totally wrong color.

If you use Procion it will take a couple of hours for it to fix, then

it'll
need rinsing and the excess dye will need washing out - just run it

through
a hot wash with soething like the dog towels. After that it'll be

completely
colourfast.

Thanks. That does help a lot. I'm going to go ahead and try a small
piece of teh material and one of the old aprons.

Old April 22nd 05, 08:14 AM
BEI Design

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm hoping I will be able to match some fabric to a specific color.

We got new aprons at work which are dark marroon in color. The old
aprons had straps that went across the shoulders and crossed on the
back. Thenew aprons just have the neck strap that pulls the weight
down
on the back of the neck. So, I want to put new straps onto the
aprons.

I bought some material today, but it is not quite the same color.
It's
a tad lighter than the aprons. Is there a way to dye something so
that
it becomes a little darker?

I question whether you would be able to dye a different fabric and
obtain a perfect (or even close) match. How about using a contrasting
color, and making it a "design feature". Maybe add a pocket of the
contrasting color, too?

--
Beverly
delete nospam and .invalid to reply

Old April 22nd 05, 09:45 AM

BEI Design wrote:

I question whether you would be able to dye a different fabric and
obtain a perfect (or even close) match. How about using a

contrasting
color, and making it a "design feature". Maybe add a pocket of the
contrasting color, too?

It's a work apron. I'd be written up if I showed up in something that
obviously deviated from the official company look. If I have to, I can
use the material without changing it. It is only a little lighter, so
it wouldn't be horrible. But it has to look good.

Unfortunately, they just started having us wear them. I would love to
get an old or damaged one and just cut it up and make straps. But it
took me a month of asking just to get a second one.

Old April 22nd 05, 04:37 PM

If there is polyester in the fabric, it can't be dyed at home. The
only successful dyeing that can be done at home is on natural fibers
and nylon.

You would be best off waiting for a reject or damaged apron from work.
Dyeing to match a specific color is next to impossible, especially if
the fiber content of the fabric differs at all from the original.

Have you inquired to the person who ordered these to find why the
design was changed? If you are uncomfortable in the new design, surely
others are, too. Maybe your company can return them for a different
style?

Teri

Old April 22nd 05, 09:04 PM

Might be cheaper in the long run, to buy or beg another apron, cut
it up, and make new straps. I'd couple of fellow employees who want
straps, get them to go in with you on the cost, and make enough straps
for everyone. Aprons are quick and easy to make; just adding straps is
a breeze.
HTH. Cea

Old April 23rd 05, 01:47 AM
BEI Design

wrote in message
ups.com...
Might be cheaper in the long run, to buy or beg another apron, cut
it up, and make new straps. I'd couple of fellow employees who want
straps, get them to go in with you on the cost, and make enough
straps
for everyone. Aprons are quick and easy to make; just adding straps
is
a breeze.
HTH. Cea

I agree, but OP said: "Unfortunately, they just started having us
wear them. I would love to get an old or damaged one and just cut it
up and make straps. But ittook me a month of asking just to get a
second one."

I wonder if there is enough length on them to take an inch off the
bottom, re-hem and use the scrap for a strap?

Old April 23rd 05, 07:58 AM

You would be best off waiting for a reject or damaged apron from

work.
Dyeing to match a specific color is next to impossible, especially if
the fiber content of the fabric differs at all from the original.

That will be awhile as the new design just came out less than 2 months
ago. I wasn't even able to get a second apron until a couple days ago.
And unfortunately, the whole store gets black, except my department -
we get marroon. Black would have been easy.

Have you inquired to the person who ordered these to find why the
design was changed? If you are uncomfortable in the new design,

surely
others are, too. Maybe your company can return them for a different
style?

It's a marketing thing. They are changing all the stores to a new
design, so we have new aprons, new shirts, and new hats. They went with
a new company to make the aprons, so they only have the one design.

I think I have a solution though. The new aprons have a tie around teh
neck and two straps to tie around the waist. Nowhere near long enough
to do the design I want. But now that I have two aprons, I have enough
to work with. If I take the length from the neck section and add it to
one of the waist pieces, that should be enough for one of the longer
straps. Then take a wasit piece from each apron and have it attach with
a button. I would have to share the one strap between the two aprons
until I can get a strap apron, but I think it would work. And it would
be identical color and material. I'm going to verifiy the lengths I
need tonight and do it if they are long enough. I have my old aprons,
so I can use that length to make sure.

Old April 23rd 05, 08:10 AM

BEI Design wrote:

I wonder if there is enough length on them to take an inch off the
bottom, re-hem and use the scrap for a strap?

I'm sure it could be done, but not by me. I don't know how to use a
sewing machine, so I just fix things by hand. The apron has a series of
pockets along he bottom, and then a border around it. So, I would have
to take it apart, cut off a section, and then put that border piece
back on.

If I could buy a spare apron, I would. I'd actually buy a couple so I
could go longer without doing laundry. But I was just told today that
they are going to give us new aprons with the new slogan on them. I
don't know how soon we will get those, but that may be why they have
been so stingy with these. I don't know if we will be wearing both
versions or just the new ones afterward, so I may get to cut my current
apron if they say we can't wear them. If so, I will get as many as I
can from my co-workers and save them for replacng straps on future
aprons. Also, a couple people want to put a pocket on them for pens up
at the top.

Thanks again to everybody for the great advice. This is not my normal
area of expertise, but I have to do something to fix them. I used to
tolerate the neck straps, but after 5 or 6 years of the alternative
aprons, I have gotten very used to them.