California Final Chapter

Old September 25th 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
shhdesigns

Default California Final Chapter

We woke up to cloudy skies in Eureka and headed up the northern coast of
California into Oregon. In Crescent City we found two antique shops that
opened up by 10 a.m. on a Sunday morning. The skies were starting to clear,
in Gold Beach we stumbled upon another Quilt Show! It was small but nice;
they had a nice vendors market. I found some fabrics at both Wooden Spool
in Yreka and Forget Me Knots in Bandon by the Sea in Oregon.
http://www.forget-me-knots.net/ Our next stop was Quilter's Quarters in Port
Orford. This shop is one of my favourites along the Oregon Coast. They
have a great selection of fabrics and helpful staff.

On to Bandon and we stopped in at a favourite restaurant, Bandon Boatworks.
http://www.bandon.com/webfront/merch...?merchantid=18

Unfortunately we hit a day where the wait staff was not great and we ended
up walking out without having lunch. Too bad as we usually have great
service and meals here. Hopefully our next visit will be much improved.

We headed over to Forget Me Knots Quilt Shop only to find they have moved to
even a bigger location. This is the third locale we have visited and this
one used to be where you could taste cheese. If you had not been there
before you would not know what had been there before. Here we found out
that in Coos Bay yet another Quilt Show was happening. Only problem was we
were more than a 2-minute drive away!

We drove onto Coos Bay and found that Threads That Bind
http://www.threadsthatbind.net/ had a note in their window to see them at
the quilt show that I previously mentioned. They have a very friendly shop
and great service. I just might have to come to their shop hop in February
2008.

We spent the night in Florence where we had a great bowl of clam chowder for
dinner. The next morning we woke up and drove by Joy of Quilting. It was
before the shop opened, but there were some people going in. The owner said
come on in and we did. This is a fairly new quilt shop and has a great
selection of fabrics. The owner told us that there was a group of ladies
who had taken a class together and they had so much fun they continued to
meet!

Our next stop was Jodi's Quilt Shop; this time we were not as lucky so we
continued up the coast.

The Oregon coast is one of my favourite drives, most of the trip you are
right along the coast. There are some spectacular view and some windy,
curvy roads, so beware if you aren't used to them. There are also a lot of
bicycle riders along the way to watch out for.

In Newport we stopped off at Quiters Cove in Newport. This shop was
previously Newport Quilts and Gift store. The new staff and shop are a lot
friendlier. She offers a birthday discount of half your age. I tried
finding her shop on the web; as she mentioned it but cannot find it. Will
look for her card and see if I can give you a website. They also will give
you as $25 gift certificate after spending $250!

We bypassed the shop in Lincoln city and drove off the highway along a dirt
road to BJ's Fabrics and Quilts, truly a clearing in a quiet forest. Her
shop is located in the bottom of her home. I found this shop driving along
highway 101 and seeing a sandwich board, which read "Quilt shop lots of
fabrics". It is a delightful shop that has things tucked into every nook
and crannies in her basement.

In Tillamook we stopped off at Jane's Fabric Patch
http://www.janesfabricpatch.com/ this is another shop located in a house,
although I don't think there is any private living space in it anymore. You
keep turning corners and finding another room filled with fabrics or
quilting notions.

Then onto the Tillamook Cheese Factory
http://www.tillamookcheese.com/VisitorsCenter/

Where we had another wonderful ice cream cone. They have a tour of the
factory and cheese tasting room beside their ice cream.

In Rockaway Beach we stopped in at Trash 'n' Treasures where I found an old
quilt on a previous trip. No luck this visit.

In Wheeler I stopped in briefly at Creative Quilts to ask if they had any
hexagon English paper piecing supplies.

Then we made a quick run to make Center Diamond Quilts in Cannon Beach. As
I entered the door the gal welcomed me and laughed when I asked if she had
any hexagon papers. The shop in Wheeler had phoned to let her know I was
coming. She did not have any the size I was looking for. But has a great
selection of Batiks and some interesting antique kimono pieces for circular
mini handbags.

We then drove back to Tolovanna Beach where we went for a walk and took some
pictures of shore birds and crows. I caught several shots of some brown
pelicans flying along the breakers looking for dinner.

We traveled up to Seaside where we spent our last night of vacation. The
next day we crossed over to Washington State and headed over to Longview to
catch the I-5 home.

We then drove home along the I-5 with a brief stop in Tacoma and then up to
Exit 200 to check out the Seattle Premium Outlets. Then on to Bellingham
for a quick break before heading over the border and home again.

The final trip was 5,600 km or about 3,500 miles with lots of memories and
adventures in quilt shops and antique shops and of course visits with family
and friends.

Thanks to everyone for a great trip.

--
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.
Queen of the Travelogues

Old September 25th 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article D8ZJi.43260$A55.3499@pd7urf2no,
"shhdesigns" wrote:

Thanks to everyone for a great trip.

And thank *you* for a great travelogue! Sandi, are you going to post any
of your photos for us to see?

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old September 25th 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
shhdesigns

I'm not sure if I can or not. If I find a way to post some I'll let you
know where to look. I took over 400+! I have two digital cameras and need
to edit them. But still there is a lot.

Glad you enjoyed the travelogue, it was fun to write Sandy.

Take care,

Sandi

Old September 25th 07, 04:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

Thanks for the travelogue. It sounds as if you had a wonderful time.
Something tells me you like clam chowder and ice cream cones!!!!! Where did
I get that idea?
Gen

news8ZJi.43260$A55.3499@pd7urf2no...

Old September 25th 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy[_2_]

well, i for one, enjoyed the whole story! i really felt like i was
right there beside you in the car!! what a terrific adventure!
Pictures, Please!!!!!
amy

Old September 26th 07, 04:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
shhdesigns

Actually it's mom that likes the ice cream cones, we only had two each the
whole trip. Soup is always a great dinner and why not clam when you're on
the coast!

How are you doing Gen?

Sandi

Old September 26th 07, 04:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
shhdesigns

Thanks Amy,

I'm working on creating a blog with some pictures, not too many up yet. I'm
back to work and going to a Becky Goldsmith lecture tomorrow night and
workshop on Thursday.

Will hopefully get some more up by the weekend and share the site.

Sandi
oups.com...

Old September 26th 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

Doing just fine---wishing I'd been along on the trip. I chuckled when I saw
you used a digital camera---no more 1 hour places? That was fun!!! I
remember the Seattle trip with great fondness. I hope we can get together
again.