Bamboo

Old October 3rd 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Default Bamboo

I've been on a failed mission today, looking for bamboo fabric yardage.
Not found anything much and nowt on this side of the water. If you
catch site of some, let me know!

It occurred to me while reading up on bamboo fabric that it might also
make good quilt batting. Any thoughts?
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old October 3rd 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Are you looking for a bamboo *print* fabric or fabric *made* from bamboo???

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old October 3rd 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. wrote:
Are you looking for a bamboo *print* fabric or fabric *made* from bamboo???

I think she must mean fabric made of bamboo, I know bamboo yarn became
really big in the knitting world about a year ago, I've felt some and
it's unbelievably soft, so I bet bamboo batting would be fab, it should
have a really good drape - I don't know if it's in existance though and
I don't know if there would be any manufacturing issues.

Cheers
Anne

Old October 3rd 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

http://www.hempfabric.co.uk/
they seem to have bamboo and hemp fabrics on this UK site.

jeanne

"Kate XXXXXX" wrote...

Old October 3rd 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

oops, while checking their sample swatch page,
i see they're out of stock of both the bamboo and soy fabrics they carry.
i wonder how often that happens and when they expect more of those in.
nothing there about batting, worth an ask i guess.
maybe they dont get asked so never buy any in.
someone must make batting from bamboo, just makes good sense.
if they dont, someone ought to start making it now.
if'n we're going green on this planet, bamboo grows sooooooo fast in the
right conditions
and i'd imagine it breaks-down/composts quickly too.
looks interesting tho.
jeanne

"nzlstar*" wrote...

Old October 3rd 07, 09:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

nzlstar* wrote:
http://www.hempfabric.co.uk/
they seem to have bamboo and hemp fabrics on this UK site.

jeanne

Thanks for that!

Dreadful site organization, though... Took forever to find and come up
as half the buttons don't work!

Old October 3rd 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Charlotte Hippen

Didn't know there was such a thing. What are the benefits to it (other than
environmental I'm sure)?

--
Charlotte
http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108

Old October 3rd 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I am sceptical - your clothes might get eaten by a panda? g
..
In message , Charlotte Hippen
writes
Didn't know there was such a thing. What are the benefits to it (other than
environmental I'm sure)?

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 3rd 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Charlotte Hippen wrote:
Didn't know there was such a thing. What are the benefits to it (other than
environmental I'm sure)?

It's supposed to be very 'green', in that it takes fewer chemicals in
manufacture and needs no pesticides to grow (unlike cotton), and is
quickly renewable without replanting (grows like grass! ). It's
supposed to have great wicking properties, a very nice feel to it, and
good thermal properties as well.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

LOOKING FOR BAMBOO FABRIC Kate XXXXXX Marketplace 0 October 3rd 07 01:30 PM
Bamboo threads Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 7 June 25th 07 11:54 PM
Bamboo threads Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 4 June 20th 07 02:40 AM
Bamboo threads Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 1 June 19th 07 03:28 PM
Horrid bamboo Olwyn Mary Yarn 22 July 1st 06 01:43 AM