Water damaged watch

Old October 26th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Me

Default Water damaged watch

Hello,

I had my niece over last weekend and she is going through the stage of
playing with anything she is not supposed to, I know they all go through it.
So, she put my good watch in the washing machine and now it is not working.
You know the part in the back that makes a watch work, is it possible to
just replace the whole thing or is this watch a goner? If I am in the wrong
place can someone suggest a group who may have an answer?
Thank you all.

Old October 26th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 07:48:48 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry "Me"
wrote:

Hello,

I had my niece over last weekend and she is going through the stage of
playing with anything she is not supposed to, I know they all go through it.
So, she put my good watch in the washing machine and now it is not working.
You know the part in the back that makes a watch work, is it possible to
just replace the whole thing or is this watch a goner? If I am in the wrong
place can someone suggest a group who may have an answer?
Thank you all.

You may wish to ask this on alt.horology, a group specific to watches.

but in general, watch movements can be replaced in many, but not all cases. It
depends on the brand and type of watch. And some water damaged watches can be
repaired more easily than replacing the whole movement. Key to this is not
waiting too long to have the watch seen by a qualified watch maker, since the
longer it sits, the worse will be the corrosion damage, not just to the
movement, but perhaps to the case, dial, etc. After determining whether a
damaged watch can be repaired or it's movement replaced, the next question of
course, is whether it's worth doing so. This is not generally a five dollar
repair..

Peter R.
Old October 27th 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

Me wrote:
Hello,

I had my niece over last weekend and she is going through the stage of
playing with anything she is not supposed to, I know they all go through it.
So, she put my good watch in the washing machine and now it is not working.
You know the part in the back that makes a watch work, is it possible to
just replace the whole thing or is this watch a goner? If I am in the wrong
place can someone suggest a group who may have an answer?
Thank you all.

I sent you an email with an answer. It bounced back, since obviously you
supplied a false email address.

I will not post my answer for that reason!

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Old October 27th 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

Default Email addresses for posting to newsgroups (was: Water damaged watch(

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 19:49:31 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry Abrasha
wrote:

I sent you an email with an answer. It bounced back, since obviously you
supplied a false email address.

I will not post my answer for that reason!

Posters are reminded by this post, that some people will want to reply, but may
not wish to put their reply in a worldwide distributed, archived, open to the
public newsgroup, but would rather keep their reply in private email.

Although it's common practice to attempt to foil the spam bots out there by
munging up a "from address", it's also good practice to make it possible for a
human being , reading your post with a request for assistance, to figure out how
to answer you in email.

good ways to do this a

Use a fake address in the "from" header, but spell out or otherwise give your
real one in the body of your posting (the spam bots usually only look at the
headers) If, rather than just listing your email address in your posting, you
spell it out, such as "myaddress at righthere dotcom", this will fool any of
the robots, which won't recognize the spelled out "at" as the @ symbol, etc, yet
any human can easily assemble your correct address.

Munge up your return address in a way that means it won't work when read by a
robot program harvesting emails (the main problem), but can be made to work by a
human who'll understand how to alter the return address to be useful again. In
this method, you add or change your email address in a way that's easy to fix,
such as " Again, the address won't work, but
a human reader will know what to do. A variation is to change some part in a
non obvious way, but then describe the needed fix in your post. Usually that
fix is described at the end, with your signature. One poster spells his address
with a ".not" at the end, and next to his signature, instructs readers to change
"not" to "net" in order to answer. Another one adds the word "Panties" to her
email address, and naughtily asks readers to remove her panties in order to
contact her. The possibilities are endless, yet all allow a reader to actually
contact you if they wish, while still foiling the spammers.

Or as an even simpler option, set up a throw away email account. Yahoo,
Google, and others all offer web based email addresses for free. Your own
regular ISP may allow you to set up sub email aaccounts, such as for family
members. However you do it, set up a new/distinct email address account, and
use that as your return address in usenet postings or other public forums where
you wish to maintain privacy. Check it for replies as you normally check your
email. When that address starts getting too much spam for your liking, simply
stop using that address, and set up another, and start using it. when the first
stops getting replies to older messages that you're still interested in, then
just cancel that address.

Peter Rowe
moderator
rec.crafts.jewelry
Old October 27th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Me

Thanks again Peter.
I posted in here because I wanted a reply in here. I wont be giving my
e-mail out because of people like Abrasha. I know there are spam bots and
that's not my only concern, I don't want people such as Abrasha having my
e-mail address. If I wanted a personal reply, then I'd ask for a personal
reply and put my e-mail "out there." But I thought that is what these groups
were about, asking questions to be answered here for people to see.
Never mind, as I said to you in the other reply, I am checking a few places
out tomorrow and wont be back here to bother you all with my fake e-mail
address.

Old October 27th 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Me

Thanks Peter, much appreciated. I will keep that other group in mind but
will be going to check out a few watch places tomorrow.
As I said though, thanks for the reply.

news

Old October 27th 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Me

Yes I used a fake e-mail address. I am not upset about this or ashamed of
myself or whatever it is you are trying to make me feel. I don't want your
answer and I don't think its very polite to jump on a new poster like that.
A reason people don't come back to groups is because people like you jump on
them. I don't use a real e-mail and wont ever. If you are going to be so up
yourself over it then that's fine, I don't need your reply at all.
Thank you.

Old October 28th 06, 09:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Marilee J. Layman

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 15:11:19 GMT, "Me" wrote:

Yes I used a fake e-mail address. I am not upset about this or ashamed of
myself or whatever it is you are trying to make me feel. I don't want your
answer and I don't think its very polite to jump on a new poster like that.
A reason people don't come back to groups is because people like you jump on
them. I don't use a real e-mail and wont ever. If you are going to be so up
yourself over it then that's fine, I don't need your reply at all.
Thank you.

Hey, your choice. People won't take you seriously.
--
Marilee J. Layman
http://mjlayman.livejournal.com/

Old October 29th 06, 06:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
ted frater

"Abrasha" wrote in message

Me wrote:

Hello,

I had my niece over last weekend and she is going through the stage of
playing with anything she is not supposed to, I know they all go through
it.
So, she put my good watch in the washing machine and now it is not
working.
You know the part in the back that makes a watch work, is it possible to
just replace the whole thing or is this watch a goner? If I am in the
wrong
place can someone suggest a group who may have an answer?
Thank you all.

I sent you an email with an answer. It bounced back, since obviously you
supplied a false email address.

I will not post my answer for that reason!

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Wether you get this reply is a matter of chance but im writing it
anyway, as a little background about the main contributors to this group
might just be of help to you and others who might pose a question.,
there are a number of serious professional jewellers, metal workers
and craftsmen who are regular contributors to this group who give of
their valuable time and knowhow free of charge for the benefit of all
those who might pose a question. however its often the case that
questioners come to this group and think there entitled to a
professional and informative reply to their question without any
thought to the courtesy this such a request might need.
would you for example, expect professional advice for free from your
lawer? he would make his terms of business quite clear and get your
consent to them before giving you a minute of his time.
So in the case of Abrasha, who is one of our most experienced
jewellers and is happy to help, but he doesnt suffer ill mannered or
devious questioners.
its not unreasonable for the questioner to be open and honest if they
want something for free in reply.
hope you see this point.
One could comment that anyone that lets a child/neice put a watch into a
washing machine deserves what happens to it.

Old October 29th 06, 06:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 23:21:08 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry ted frater
wrote:

Wether you get this reply is a matter of chance but im writing it
anyway, as a little background about the main contributors to this group
might just be of help to you and others who might pose a question.,

Chance? you mean whether or not I was sufficiently of the opinion that this
violates the group charter? It doesn't. I don't happen to agree with you, but
you're not attacking anyone, at least not much... So here's your post,
appearing as it should. But you'll note I've got a few comments, in my usual
overly wordy style... :-)

there are a number of serious professional jewellers, metal workers
and craftsmen who are regular contributors to this group who give of
their valuable time and knowhow free of charge for the benefit of all
those who might pose a question. however its often the case that
questioners come to this group and think there entitled to a
professional and informative reply to their question without any
thought to the courtesy this such a request might need.
would you for example, expect professional advice for free from your
lawer? he would make his terms of business quite clear and get your
consent to them before giving you a minute of his time.

I have to take serious issue with you over this point, Ted. It's just not the
proper comparison or a valid description of the group. If I go to a doctor's
office for an opinion, I'll expect professional help, and a bill to match. If I
meet that doctor at a party, and if he's already my doctor getting paid by me, I
might mention medicine in passing, but the party is not really the right place,
so even then, mostly I'd refrain. And if he wasn't my doc, the most I'd ask is
how to set up an appointment. So far, all well and good, and in agreement with
your post. But the thing is, this newsgroup is NOT a social engagement where
people go to hang out and not be professionals (or interested hobbyists, etc.)
This group was chartered expressly for the purpose of discussing jewelry and
jewelry related matters. If you show up here at all, you've implied by your
presence a willingness to participate according to the group's traditions and
rules. And that tradition, along with all of usenet, is a bit one of anarchy.
Nobody is, or should be, somehow better than others or more deserving of
accolades or respect. Everyone deserves respect, not just the experts or old
timers. Your posting implies that people coming here with questions should
treat us all as though we're up on pedestals, to be honored and approached only
with deference and awe. And that's B.S. Courtesy, yes. But the very purpose
of this group is to provide a place where people can discuss the topic of the
group. Nobody should have to jump through hoops. It may be true that people
are more likely to answer a posting if they take a poster seriously, and it may
be true that using a real identity may increase one's appearance that way, but
the question involved was not spam, was on topic, and appeared honest enough.
Readers then have the choice to answer or not. Simple choice. No obligation to
answer, but nice if you can, and do. Some answers may contain information that
the writer may feel inappropriate for the whole group, or they may not wish to
post their answer for other reasons. Who knows. that too, is the choice of
each poster, and something the OP should be aware of.

I have no problem with agreeing with you that everyone should treat the group,
and it's users (at all levels of experience) with respect. That's simple common
courtesy and good manners, something which our world all too often lacks. But
to imply that someone's expertise is somehow something akin to doing business
with it's rules and conventions just doesn't hold. The last thing this group
needs is an atmosphere where people coming to this group with a question feel
they need to crawl up the dais in awe, head bowed, and ask their question just
in reverential whispers in the hope one of the group gods will deign to
answer.... (great image, isn't that? Proud of that one, I am...)

So in the case of Abrasha, who is one of our most experienced
jewellers and is happy to help, but he doesnt suffer ill mannered or
devious questioners.

True. But nothing in the posers question was ill mannered or devious in any
way. A fake email address is common enough on the net, and even recommended
practice by some authorities, where preserving one's privacy may be an issue.
The only thing the fake email address (which was obviously such, no pretend real
address) is force any answers to appear in the public newsgroup. Nothing wrong
with that. If all answers were in email only, and nothing in the group, this
place would be even more boring than it sometimes can be (ie when there are no
posts for a while).

its not unreasonable for the questioner to be open and honest if they
want something for free in reply.

It's not unreasonable for the poster to hide personal information (email
address) if they wish. Their choice, just as it's Abrasha's free choice not to
answer in the open group if for some reason he chooses not to. His post to
that effect does little more than perhaps alert the OP that he might wish to
send Abrasha his real email address, if he wished. Nothing more need be
implied. And to suggest that for the OP to have used a fake email address is
not open and honest, well, I'm afraid I just don't agree. I DO believe it may
be a mistake or not needed, and my prior post in the thread suggested a number
of ways to address the issue without a fully fake email.. But there's nothing
dishonest or deceiving about it.

hope you see this point.
One could comment that anyone that lets a child/neice put a watch into a
washing machine deserves what happens to it.

Oh, now you're looking down your nose at the guy because a child behaved as a
child can do? C'mon Ted. You've got kids, don't you? Have you ever known a
child who could be watched every second of every day? Have you ever met a
parent who's child hasn't, at some point, pulled some amazingly unfortunate
stunt? It happens. To say the fellow deserved it is just as silly as saying
every victim of a traffic accident had it coming due to their own behavior.
Sometimes, sure, but enough so as to warrant that comment? I don't think so. My
2 cents worth, at least.

Peter

OT -- Water Dr. Sooz Beads 3 September 11th 05 12:34 AM
OT online tea site? Taria Quilting 37 July 26th 05 10:16 PM
OT - Story: Beverages I have Known Kathy N-V Beads 6 January 4th 05 04:33 PM
OT - little bitty anxiety attacks Jalynne Beads 47 September 4th 04 06:02 PM
If you could, would you? Kaytee Beads 74 November 7th 03 04:59 AM