I need a rock tumbler with a see-thru barrel. Where can I find one?

Old October 23rd 06, 10:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
[email protected]

Default I need a rock tumbler with a see-thru barrel. Where can I find one?

I already tried looking on eBay and Froogle. So far, all rock tumblers
I've seen are opaque. A rock tumbler with a barrel that he can see
through is what a good friend of mine wants as a wedding gift.

If you see photos of four different-colored glass containers with "rock
tumbler" occurring in their search results, those are misleading; they
are just glass containers without a lid and tumbling machine. If you
read into them, you'll see what I mean.

Therefore, a little help please?

Old October 23rd 06, 10:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 02:35:42 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry
wrote:

I already tried looking on eBay and Froogle. So far, all rock tumblers
I've seen are opaque. A rock tumbler with a barrel that he can see
through is what a good friend of mine wants as a wedding gift.

If you see photos of four different-colored glass containers with "rock
tumbler" occurring in their search results, those are misleading; they
are just glass containers without a lid and tumbling machine. If you
read into them, you'll see what I mean.

Therefore, a little help please?

Most rotary type rock tumblers I've seen over the last 35 years or so, have used
either some sort of rubber barrel, or a metal or plastic barrel with a rubber
liner. The rubber is always opaque, most often black. While there are rotary
tumblers, a little more high end, that use translucent white plastics for their
barrel and are marketed more for metal finishing using steel shot, these still
are not "see through", being transluscent white, not clear.

If you really need to be able to see the rocks while they are moving in the
tumbler, you need to consider a vibratory type, not a rotary type. These use
usually donut shaped open toped contaners which don't absolutely need to be
covered while in use (though they usually are run with a cover, since without,
you can make a bit of a mess of the surroundings with spattered slurry). If you
like, you could make a plexiglass cover for one of these. Some, like the
vibrasonic brand, also a vibratory tumbler, use a more rectangular shaped bin,
that spatters less, and is easier to run with the top open. The vibratory
tumblers process rock a lot faster than the rotary types, but are also generally
a good deal more costly.

Peter