Your Prefs

Old May 24th 04, 04:44 PM
Diana Curtis

Default Your Prefs

When you look though quilt magazines, online quilt sites, and through our
own member's photo albums, what attracts you to a particular quilt? Is it
mostly the type of quilt, be it traditional, modern/art, or new technique?
Do you find yourself drawn to a particular color/fabric combination? Do
you love quilts with lots of little pieces or bold fabric choices?
How does this influence the quilts you choose to make?
I love color play most. Quilts with lots of little bits impress me but I
dont feel the need to make them. Techniques are fun to learn and see made
but again, I dont feel a need to try them because in my quilts the color
play is more important.
Id love to hear your thoughts on this.
Diana

Old May 24th 04, 05:08 PM
Roberta Zollner

Yes to all. Sigh. Just call me eclectic. Not that I feel driven to actually
make all of them (thank goodness), very often it's BTDT.
Roberta in D, Queen of the Scrap Heap

Old May 24th 04, 05:37 PM
handmaiden

I love those with all the little pieces where the colors just flow so
perfectly. Meanwhile I live in the real world where I have been trying for
over a year just to get the pieces cut for one of my quilts and hope to
actually get around to finishing the hand quilting on a baby blanket started
3 years ago sometime this month. (will make a nice doll blanket for the
neighbor's daughter) Not a chance in heck I could ever get something that
intricate done.
I really enjoy seeing all types of quilts, but I tend to stick to the basics
of simple design and with a limited budget, I use mostly scraps that turn up
from various sources. Eventually, I will have more time and $$ I hope and
will get to try new and exciting patterns that will leave me tearing my hair
out at this point!
~handmaiden

--
handmaiden

Old May 24th 04, 06:00 PM
Julia Altshuler

It used to be color. Then I realized I was pretty good at color myself.
Now I'm drawn to the quilts that use the worst materials and somehow
make them work in new and unusual ways. There will be a fabric that I
passed up because it was too ugly to live put into a quilt that's too
beautiful to be believed. I'm not drawn to realism though that doesn't
turn me off. Mostly now I'm attracted to line and design, quilts that
are impressive in their overall impact, the ones where the quilter
probably spent months planning it, then only a few days making it
because the technique is devestatingly simple while the idea behind it
is complex.

--Lia

Old May 24th 04, 06:26 PM
Shirley Ellen

I've only been quilting for a year but so far it's colour and pattern both.
I love earth tones. I don't particularly like the scrappy look but I made
table runners in a scrappy way and I rather like them now. I had a heck of a
time trying to decide what colours to put where. I've been trying to
diversify myself and pick purposely different fabrics to try out but I find
that I don't quite enjoy working with them so much when they aren't my
taste. I have to admit, though, that I like pretty well everything I've made
so far. I really like the look of the 1930's quilts but haven't made one
yet. I bought a kit of Paris Flea Market material which is close but now I
look at the quilt on the wall of the shop and realize I was drawn only to
the fabrics, not to the pattern so I may try to go out on my own (scary
thought) and change the pattern. I want to experiment because I may find I
like something that I never dreamt I'd like. I also learned from the owner
of my LQS to choose one bright colour (even if it will be only a small bit
in the quilt) to give it punch.

I'm not crazy about geometrics or folk art and wouldn't make something like
that. I like the more traditional look.

Shirley

--
My Quilt Site
http://ca.geocities.com/meadow1951/index.html

Inspiring Thoughts
http://members.tripod.com/inspiring-thoughts/index.html

Old May 24th 04, 06:33 PM
Bonnie

Color first, then design. I love to learn new patterns,
just to know I can do them. But the quilts that always
make me go Wow! involve color combination.

--
Bonnie, the Quilt Lady
NJ

Old May 24th 04, 06:35 PM
Diana Curtis

Would it be possible for you to point us towards a picture of a quilt that
explains the 'more planning than sewing' concept? I believe I know what
youre talking about but a visual would help.
Diana

Old May 24th 04, 06:36 PM
Diana Curtis

Its good to have goals, and a realistic attitude about what you can
accomplish right now.
I bet that doll quilt will be loved to bits when its done.
Diana

Old May 24th 04, 06:39 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Diana Curtis" wrote:

When you look though quilt magazines, online quilt sites, and through our
own member's photo albums, what attracts you to a particular quilt? Is it
mostly the type of quilt, be it traditional, modern/art, or new technique?
Do you find yourself drawn to a particular color/fabric combination? Do
you love quilts with lots of little pieces or bold fabric choices?
How does this influence the quilts you choose to make?
I love color play most. Quilts with lots of little bits impress me but I
dont feel the need to make them. Techniques are fun to learn and see made
but again, I dont feel a need to try them because in my quilts the color
play is more important.
Id love to hear your thoughts on this.
Diana

My first thought is color, also, Diana. That may or may not mean that
I'm immediately drawn to colors that I prefer -- it's the *use* of those
colors. For instance, in looking at Denise's pics (and I haven't
finished yet), there was a quilt that looked sort of woven, using shades
of magenta that seemed to "shadow" near the places where the rows went
under each other. Amazing.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1
Old May 24th 04, 06:42 PM
Denise G.

Diana, gee, that's a hard question. My taste runs all over the place.
I've seen prize winning quilts that have left me cold, and humble ones
that wowed me.

I guess my overall initial impression would have to do with color and
how it is used. I like lots of color, pattern, and movement. Whimsy
catches my eye, too.

Denise in NH