A Fun Topic

Old September 1st 03, 02:59 PM
Heppner

Default A Fun Topic

Tell me,

On which projects would you use rubber stamps? What do you make with them?

I don't mean what CAN you do with them.... I was wondering what you ENJOY
making with them.... what other materials do you ENJOY using with them.... what
do you do with your projecs when they are done? Is more of your work aimed at
swaps? Or Scrapbooking? Or gifts/cards for family?

Carol Heppner
http://carolheppner.gq.nu

Old September 1st 03, 04:07 PM
Ddborger

I started out using my stamps to make cards for friends and family. Then I
started using them on giftwrap and packages with matching cards. I have used
them to stamp a chair rail border in my living room, lamp shades, and
coordinating pictures. Just recently I got into scrapbooking and so now I use
them for that also. I don't think I will ever actually purchase a sticker to
use for scrapbooking. I have too many stamps to use for that and the computer
also. I just completed a 45th anniversary scrapbook as a present for my
parents.

~Donna~
SAHM Val Gal 16, Wendy Woo 14, Seany 10
6 years of Stamping Bliss
Old September 1st 03, 04:17 PM
Cecelia Medbery

On which projects would you use rubber stamps? What do you make with
them?

Right now ALL my stamping time is spent on Christmas cards. I made 142 last
year and each year the list seems to grow a bit.

Some other things I enjoy are embossing on vellum and using "non-stamping"
items in my cards. I have some placemats that I have cut and used as
backgrounds. I've also used bubblewrap and a brayer to make "honeycomb"
backgrounds. I think I like pretty much anything that makes people wonder
"How'd she do that?".

Cecelia

Old September 1st 03, 09:29 PM
Sharon

(Heppner) wrote in message ...
Tell me,

On which projects would you use rubber stamps? What do you make with them?

I don't mean what CAN you do with them.... I was wondering what you ENJOY
making with them.... what other materials do you ENJOY using with them.... what
do you do with your projecs when they are done? Is more of your work aimed at
swaps? Or Scrapbooking? Or gifts/cards for family?

Carol Heppner
http://carolheppner.gq.nu

Oh, what a fun question. The main thing I enjoy making is cards. I
have begun a card ministry at my church, so I make many cards for
shut-ins and people of the church who are ill. I've also made
valentines for the elderly in the church. On Mother's day I made 119
pocket cards with a packet of flower seeds in the pocket for each and
every mother who attended church that day. I was supposed to make 120,
but unfortunately while watching A Baby's Story on TLC, I began to cry
and tears fell on the card and the ink spread. lol I've also made lots
of stuff for fund raising projects for our building fund. Post-it note
covers were a HUGE seller. I made a Prayer Journal that was auctioned
off for $200. Covered notebooks also sold really well. I also cut
pieces of Corian countertop material into 2" squares, jessoed them and
then used DTP with a stamped image ontop. I adhered magnet sheet to
the back and they sold out almost instantly. I love UTEE, clay,wood,
metal, and just about any other smooth surface that can be stamped. I
just love stamping! lol I have some examples on my gallery of the post
it note covers, a mosaic plaque that I made with clay and a rose stamp
from Rubber Stampede. The gallery has 3 pages and there are many
different things I have stamped on it. Thanks Carol for asking this
fun question.
Here's the link: http://groups.msn.com/pghsharonstamp...nw?albumlist=2

Sharon
Old September 2nd 03, 08:28 AM
Pat Kight

Heppner wrote:

Tell me,

On which projects would you use rubber stamps? What do you make with them?

I don't mean what CAN you do with them.... I was wondering what you ENJOY
making with them.... what other materials do you ENJOY using with them.... what
do you do with your projecs when they are done? Is more of your work aimed at
swaps? Or Scrapbooking? Or gifts/cards for family?

These days I mostly use my stamps in two ways:

* On art projects (largely collage/assemblage type work) that wind up
sitting around on my shelves because I'm too busy (or lazy) to try to
find a gallery to carry them.
* In cards/gifts for for actors and technicians at the community theater
where I hang out. We do 10 productions a year, which means no dearth of
opportunities for opening night gifts. Right now I'm in the middle of
stamping a bunch of those flat tins AOL sometimes sends its freebie CDs
in with images relating to the play I'm directing; inside will go CDs
containing rehearsal photos and some of the background music we're using
for the show.

--
Pat Kight

Old September 2nd 03, 08:31 AM
Pat Kight

Cecelia Medbery wrote:

On which projects would you use rubber stamps? What do you make with
them?

Right now ALL my stamping time is spent on Christmas cards. I made 142 last
year and each year the list seems to grow a bit.

Ack. Bless your heart for your persistence; I will never again stamp
Christmas cards. I did 150 one year and thought I'd go nuts. Mass
production bores me to tears; I'd rather save the time and buy cards.

I do stamp Christmas gifts - often interesting boxes or tins I pick up
during the year on sale or at rummage sales, spray-painted and then
stamped to match the recipient's interests or decor. Inside go things
like home-made candy, bath salts, office supplies, etc., but the
container is really the gift.

--
Pat Kight

Old September 2nd 03, 01:10 PM
Debbie Hamann

I love doing fabric stamping, especially making shirts. I have made
placemats,totebags,stamped on shoes,hats, and yes, curtains.
The best part is when I wear one of my stamped shirts and someone
actually asks WHERE DID YOU GET THAT? Love it....cuz then I can say I
made it with stamps!

debbie

Old September 4th 03, 03:43 AM
Cecelia Medbery

Ack. Bless your heart for your persistence; I will never again stamp
Christmas cards. I did 150 one year and thought I'd go nuts. Mass
production bores me to tears; I'd rather save the time and buy cards.

I couldn't do all of one kind, but I also knew there was no way I could do
that many different cards so I did about 20 - 25 of each design. The crappy
thing about that idea was I didn't keep a record of who got what so now I
feel like I can't use any of the same Christmas stamps I used last year so I
don't accidentally give somebody one that looks like last year's. Yeah, I
have a "touch" of OCD.

Cecelia

Old September 4th 03, 03:28 PM
Susan

Good morning! I'm new but found this cool subject and had to respond.

I use my stamps for scrapbooking an d card making. I'm doing my Xmas cards
this year. I had hoped to finish them by early next month, but I'm not going
to have it done. I'm getting there, but that's ok. I've done a few handmade
cards the last couple of Christmases and most have said how nice.

I do swaps, but have only used stamps on my scrapbook swaps once... maybe
more down the road

Susan
AF Wife to David
Mom to CG, Matthew and an angel, Gareth
Hampton Roads VA

Old September 5th 03, 01:02 AM
Sharon

Hi Janet,
Thanks so much for the kind words. I love working with stamps and
clay. The 2 go together so well. I have the Images on Clay book too,
but I haven't had the opportunity yet to try any of the projects. I
hope this winter to be able to play with all the toys I haven't been
able to get to. This weekend I am going to try a technique though that
I have never tried. I saw it this week on the Carol Duvall show. I
want to cover switchplates in my husband's den and I think this
technique will be perfect for them. It's called the mica shift
technique. It doesn't look too hard, but I've said that many times and
have been proven wrong. lol If you are interested and didn't see the
show. It will be aired again on Saturday at 2:30 EST. Here are the
instruction on the HGTV website too, although I didn't think they were
very clear: http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_clay_oth...397691,00.html
Well wish me luck this weekend. These switchplate covers will either
be drop dead gorgeous or butt ugly. Let's hope it's not the later. lol
Thanks again
Sharon

hansen wrote in message ...
Sharon,

Thanks for sharing your creations! Gave me lots of ideas.
I make mostly cards - seldom the same one twice, although my Mom has
convinced me to make a few sets of thank you notes, etc. as gifts for
relatives - creating the container is the fun part.
Right now I am playing with polymer clay and stamps - got 2 books Sunday
in the clearance section at Michaels: "Images on Clay" and "Creative
Stamping in Polmer Clay" and have spent most of my vacation playing with
the combinations. It never would have occured to me to stamp into
stacked color layers and then shave off the top - what neat looking
effects you get! The layers sink with the stamp and when you shave it
smooth, you can see the design with all your colors - even can add
layers of gold leaf. I don't seem to have any interest in making canes,
but the stamping thing has me shaving away pieces to cover beads, etc.
just like they do with the color canes.
Another fun stamp/clay idea is to cover your single color (I used
black)clay with a sheet of gold leaf, stamp an impression into it, bake,
then sand off the gold leaf - leaves gold just in the stamped
impression! Now, what will I use all this stuff for? I will have to
design cards around these embellishments - so back to the stamping room.
Janet