Ganoksin Content Expansion Announced

Old March 20th 04, 04:53 AM

Default Ganoksin Content Expansion Announced

I just want them to get a search engine thats worth a hoot.

Les
Old March 23rd 04, 03:35 AM
Abrasha

=

=

The raffle they run is great, and could be expanded to raise more money=

=2E No
need to rely on just casting machine donations. Set it up so I and othe=

rs
could send in our work (for free) to raffle off, or set up a web page t=

sell it out right. As for raffles, why not buy items and sell tickets t=

hat
total twice as much as the item cost to buy? Dont try to hide the fact =

your
makeing money on the raffle, state it out in front. I would buy a ticke=

t for
a Fordom for a buck or two. Then I would know that there is a one in 50=

0
chance of winning something I want for very little money. Ganoksin doub=

les
there money on every raffle! (There must be a catch, this sounds too ea=

sy).

There is a catch, a very big one. It's illegal! At least in the US. Ra=
ffles,
whether online or not, fall under US gambling laws, which are extremely s=
trict.

Here is an excerpt from the Missouri Attorney General's Office web site.

Gambling, with only a few exceptions, is illegal in Missouri (as in most
states). Those exceptions are restricted and highly regulated. =

There are many types of gambling. Promotions that award prizes may be cal=
led
contests, sweepstakes, lotteries, raffles, drawings or games. It is impor=
tant to
know the law and to understand what elements make a promotion illegal.

Three elements make up an illegal promotion:
1. Prize is any benefit, cash or property awarded to a winner. =

2. Chance means the winner is chosen by =93luck=94 with little or no skil=
l or
ability involved.
3. Consideration is the exchange of something of value for the opportunit=
y to
participate in the game.

There is a separate section for raffles:

Raffles, sweepstakes
A raffle is a game in which a participant buys a ticket for a chance at a=
prize,
with the winner determined by a random drawing to take place at a locatio=
n and
date printed on the ticket.

Raffles and sweepstakes are popular money-making efforts. Missouri law is=
clear,
however, concerning which groups may legally sponsor these promotions.

In 1998 Missouri voters adopted a constitutional amendment allowing raffl=
es and
sweepstakes to be sponsored by groups recognized under federal law as cha=
ritable
or religious.

http://www.ago.state.mo.us/publications/gambling.htm

For the Office of the Attorney General of the State of California check. =
Look
under raffles
http://caag.state.ca.us/charities/faq.htm#raffle2

You can find pages like these for every state in the union.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old March 23rd 04, 03:35 AM
*SES*

Hi Hanuman,

I removed the crossposts on this message. I missed them the first time. I
thought Peter modded them out but I noticed they were left in. Since I never
post on the other groups I don't want my posts showing up on them.

* Setting up robots.txt will only deny access to robots
*that respect the robots.txt rules. most bad bots do not:-(

I didn't say it would stop the bad ones but it's a start on excess crawls on
the site.
You do have the robots.txt file but it looks like it doesn't block images
that alone might help a bit.

I blocked mine but they are still cached on all the search engines. My sites
are teensy in comparison and I get too many hits on the images alone.

SES

--
http://www.metalcyberspace.com
Listen to the Universe and Dance to the Rhythm of it-*SES*
Old March 23rd 04, 03:45 AM
Peter W. Rowe

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:35:47 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry "*SES*"
wrote:

I removed the crossposts on this message. I missed them the first time. I
thought Peter modded them out but I noticed they were left in. Since I never
post on the other groups I don't want my posts showing up on them.

In some cases, I do remove crossposts by splitting the crossposted messages
into two postings. One approved only to rec.crafts.jewelry with an approval
header, and another without that header to the rest of the crosspost list. But
not always. The group charter allows crossposts to up to three additional
closely related groups, and I try to decide whether those other groups would
benefit from reading replies from r.c.j, and whether r.c.j. would benefit from
replies generated by those other groups. Or sometimes, I'm lazy. In this
case, it was the latter, since I kinda figured the original post was mostly an
"announcement", and I didn't actually figure it would generate a discussion.
Hanuman's previous posts of this sort didn't. Not that mind, as it's an
interesting discussion. I just didn't anticipate it would be an issue. Once
I've posted a message with a crosspost list, however, I'm them a little more
reticent to change that list with reply posts, since among other things, I
cannot tell from an incoming post which newgroup a poster was replying from
when they sent it, and as well, sSplitting the post into two takes a little
longer, what with cutting and pasting headers instead of just hitting a couple
buttons to resend the thing. Sorry if that caused confusion. Certainly, any
poster can choose to respond to only one group in a crosspost list, or a
portion thereof, by editing the list when they send a reply. If they edit out
rec.crafts.jewelry, then it no longer is subject to my moderation.

Peter
Old March 23rd 04, 03:49 AM
Peter W. Rowe

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:35:43 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry Abrasha
wrote:

There is a catch, a very big one. It's illegal! At least in the US.

Well, then perhaps it's fortunate that the Ganoksin web site is run in
Thailand. Also, I rather doubt that many buyers of those raffle tickets did so
ONLY in the hope of winning a prize. Seems to me a valid argument could be
made that most of us who bought tickets did so with the combined hope of a
prize, as well as the desire to contribute to a cause worth supporting. I'm
not sure if this changes the law, but I AM sure that this type of effort to
support Orchid does not seem to me to be the sort of thing that the legal
restrictions were intending to eliminate. Nobody is getting rich off our
desire to win a casting machine and help orchid too.

Peter
Old March 23rd 04, 07:16 AM
Abrasha

wrote:

There is a catch, a very big one. It's illegal! At least in the US.

Well, then perhaps it's fortunate that the Ganoksin web site is run in
Thailand. Also, I rather doubt that many buyers of those raffle tickets did so
ONLY in the hope of winning a prize. Seems to me a valid argument could be
made that most of us who bought tickets did so with the combined hope of a
prize, as well as the desire to contribute to a cause worth supporting. I'm
not sure if this changes the law, but I AM sure that this type of effort to
support Orchid does not seem to me to be the sort of thing that the legal
restrictions were intending to eliminate. Nobody is getting rich off our
desire to win a casting machine and help orchid too.

Peter

Maybe so. If Hanuman is lucky he'll never have to "tell it to the judge."
--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old March 23rd 04, 07:16 AM
*SES*

No worry,
I noticed before that the extra groups got snipped off on reply posts so I
figured that you did it on all of them.

I'll just make sure to double-check before hitting the send button next
time.

thanks!

SES