Sculpey strength?

Old August 26th 04, 06:23 AM

Default Sculpey strength?

Hi all. I was thinking of making a 3d sculpture that will eventually be
wall mounted. I am currently leaning towards using a oven bake clay such as
sculpey. My question is having never used it I am concerned about the
strength, in terms of fragility. The piece will not be handled and will be
mounted and framed. Also if anyone has any suggestions as to clear coat or
clear strengthening agent please feel free to mention them.

Thanks.

Old August 26th 04, 04:14 PM
Georgia

Sculpey clay is the most fragile of the polymer clays. THe bulk white
original Sculpey is the most fragile of the Sculpey clays.

Old August 26th 04, 06:50 PM

"Georgia" wrote in message
Sculpey clay is the most fragile of the polymer clays. THe bulk white
original Sculpey is the most fragile of the Sculpey clays.

Would it still serve my purpose? The sculpture will be relatively flat and
as I said wall-mounted so it will not be touched or in heavy traffic. I
guess I'll have to bake a piece and judge for myself.

Old August 26th 04, 09:48 PM
Helen Halla Fleischer

"Georgia" wrote in message
Sculpey clay is the most fragile of the polymer clays. THe bulk white
original Sculpey is the most fragile of the Sculpey clays.

Would it still serve my purpose? The sculpture will be relatively flat and
as I said wall-mounted so it will not be touched or in heavy traffic. I
guess I'll have to bake a piece and judge for myself.

I tend to think of it as about the same strength as plaster; not suitable
for a lot of unsupported detail, though it shows detail well. Haven't used
it in years but the last things I used it for were well-supported bas
relief pieces. There's one on my site; Sand Witch, on the Bare Inspirations
page.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer, Fantasy & Fiber Artist
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Balticon Art Program Coordinator http://www.balticon.org
Old August 26th 04, 10:24 PM

I tend to think of it as about the same strength as plaster; not suitable
for a lot of unsupported detail, though it shows detail well. Haven't used
it in years but the last things I used it for were well-supported bas
relief pieces. There's one on my site; Sand Witch, on the Bare

Inspirations
page.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer, Fantasy & Fiber Artist
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Balticon Art Program Coordinator http://www.balticon.org

Thanks for the reply. That is along the lines of what I was thinking of
doing only maybe protruding a bit more. Are you aware of any other
oven-bake clays that are suitable? I have done a few searches and many seem
to recommend Sculpey in this category, that's what first set me to using it.
I thought of maybe an air-dry clay but I just will not be able to complete
the work in one sitting, or day for that matter.
Thanks again.

Old August 26th 04, 10:31 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

You could try one of the other polymer clays such as Premo, Fimo, Kato
Polyclay, Promat.

Refer to this site for information on the relative strengths of the clays:

http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/tests.htm

Old August 26th 04, 11:52 PM

"Barbara Forbes-Lyons" wrote in message
You could try one of the other polymer clays such as Premo, Fimo, Kato
Polyclay, Promat.

Refer to this site for information on the relative strengths of the clays:

Thanks. I may have to do that. I tried baking a few samples of the Sculpey
but it just did not turn out right. I baked it according to directions the
first time and a bit hotter the second and in both cases the finished
samples were rubbery and had dark splotches and the color changed quite a
bit from white to beige with dark splotches all over them. I just bought
the clay from a local well-known craft store and just opened it so I don't
know why it was not baking properly. I do have an old oven so that may be a
factor.

Old August 27th 04, 12:23 AM
Helen Halla Fleischer

| On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 21:24:49 GMT, "Jason" wrote:

Thanks for the reply. That is along the lines of what I was thinking of
doing only maybe protruding a bit more. Are you aware of any other
oven-bake clays that are suitable? I have done a few searches and many seem
to recommend Sculpey in this category, that's what first set me to using it.
I thought of maybe an air-dry clay but I just will not be able to complete
the work in one sitting, or day for that matter.
Thanks again.

I find it's worth the extra money to use Premo.
In a pinch you can strengthen sculpey a little by painting the cured piece
with liquid sculpey and re-baking.

Old August 27th 04, 12:49 AM

"Helen Halla Fleischer" wrote in message
| On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 21:24:49 GMT, "Jason" wrote:

Thanks for the reply. That is along the lines of what I was thinking of
doing only maybe protruding a bit more. Are you aware of any other
oven-bake clays that are suitable? I have done a few searches and many

seem
to recommend Sculpey in this category, that's what first set me to using

it.
I thought of maybe an air-dry clay but I just will not be able to

complete
the work in one sitting, or day for that matter.
Thanks again.

I find it's worth the extra money to use Premo.
In a pinch you can strengthen sculpey a little by painting the cured piece
with liquid sculpey and re-baking.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer, Fantasy & Fiber Artist
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Balticon Art Program Coordinator http://www.balticon.org

Well I tried baking three pieces 1/4" think for reference. All the pieces
came out semi-hard after 20min and hardened a bit more after cooling but are
not brittle. It is hard enough for the purpose I need but the biggest
disappointment is that the color changed a lot. It started as white but is
now beige with dark splotches here and there. One was baked at 265F, one at
275F, and the third at 300F all for 20 min and all look the same. I have a
very old oven though and I suspect that is the culprit, is what I described
a product of over-baking or charring? Also I was under the impression that
it would be brittle like glass, instead it is like very hard rubber. Like I
said that will work but is that how it is supposed to be? I may take a trip
to a local thrift store this weekend in search of a toaster oven to test it
in.

Thanks

Old August 27th 04, 01:20 AM
Helen Halla Fleischer

| On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:52:23 GMT, "Jason" wrote:

"Barbara Forbes-Lyons" wrote in message
You could try one of the other polymer clays such as Premo, Fimo, Kato
Polyclay, Promat.

Refer to this site for information on the relative strengths of the clays:

Thanks. I may have to do that. I tried baking a few samples of the Sculpey
but it just did not turn out right. I baked it according to directions the
first time and a bit hotter the second and in both cases the finished
samples were rubbery and had dark splotches and the color changed quite a
bit from white to beige with dark splotches all over them. I just bought
the clay from a local well-known craft store and just opened it so I don't
know why it was not baking properly. I do have an old oven so that may be a
factor.

An oven thermometer is a very worthwhile investment. It also helps to line
the tray with cardboard and tent foil over the work. Rubbery is better than
brittle, but brown splotches mean too much heat.