Tarnishing Sterling Silver

Old February 12th 04, 05:31 AM
Charlie

Default Tarnishing Sterling Silver

I've designed a sterling silver bracelet made from twisted wire and would
like to tarnish it so that it goes black in the cracks of the twists,
similar to the look found on bali silver beads. I've read that the thing to
use is "liver of sulphur". Now, I can't find this for sale in the UK, and
boyfriend doesn't really want me to have toxic chemicals in the house as we
don't have good ventilation. I've also been recommended "Silver Black" by
an American friend, but alas - I can't find that either. Someone else told
me vinegar would work. Now, I can see that it would, as obviously vinegar
tarnishes silver, but how exactly would I go about doing it? Just dunk the
whole bracelet into the vinegar and then polish it up? How durable do you
think this finish would be, and how black should it go? I was wondering if
anyone has any experience before I go wasting expensive wire!

Thanks,

Charlie.

Old February 12th 04, 10:28 AM
ted.frater

Go ahead and make the bracelet . When your done mail me with your land
address, and ill send you a small lump of liver of sulphur with the
instructions on how to use it. you can do it quite safely in the kitchen
by your cooker and sink.
Ill only charge you a nominal price for the p and p. Alternately post
the brascelet to me and ill do it for you. This will cost more.
Ted frater Dorset UK.
Old February 12th 04, 10:42 AM
Peter W. Rowe

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 20:31:53 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry "Charlie"
wrote:

I've designed a sterling silver bracelet made from twisted wire and would
like to tarnish it so that it goes black in the cracks of the twists,
similar to the look found on bali silver beads. I've read that the thing to
use is "liver of sulphur". Now, I can't find this for sale in the UK, and
boyfriend doesn't really want me to have toxic chemicals in the house as we
don't have good ventilation. I've also been recommended "Silver Black" by
an American friend, but alas - I can't find that either.

Silver black is a bit worse, if I recall, that liver of sulphur. That is just
a somewhat impure mix of potassium sulphides. The key is the sulphur. almost
any liquid that contains free sulphides will tarnish silver. If you go to the
local gardening supply store, they may have garden sulphur products used for
mold/mildew on plants I think. not quite sure of the use, but the stuff is
commonly enough used. Get a liquid product if possible, as I've seen some
straight sulphur powder used for this as well, which isn't as suited to the use
of tarnishing silver. The reason sulphur is important here is that in general,
the black tarnish on silver that forms, is silver and copper sulphides, so
that's what you're trying to generate on the silver. Much slower, but also
effective, are eggs. especially (yuck) rotton ones... But the stronger
sulphur chemicals will give you a more even finish. Normally, the way this is
done is to dip the piece so the whole thing is oxidized, and then you polish it
back off wherever you don't want it. With stronger solutions such as silver
black (or a stronger mixed home solution), you can also paint it on just the
desired areas. Less polishing after. But dipping in a dilute, warm, solution
gives the most control as you can watch the color develop and stop it when it's
enough. if it gets too thick, it can flake back of again.

Someone else told
me vinegar would work. Now, I can see that it would, as obviously vinegar
tarnishes silver, but how exactly would I go about doing it? Just dunk the
whole bracelet into the vinegar and then polish it up? How durable do you
think this finish would be, and how black should it go? I was wondering if
anyone has any experience before I go wasting expensive wire!

Well, your process is about right. But vinegar? In 35 years of making
jewelry, that's the first time I've ever heard that line, and while it may seem
obvious to you, it does not to me. vinegar is an acid, containing no sulphur.
Acids generally act on metal to dissolve oxides. if anything, vinegar might
clean the silver if there are oxides (they'd be probably of copper, not
silver). Certainly, with a bit of salt added, it does a nice job cleaning
copper. If you're experience is with vinegar tarnishing silver, then I suggest
that you're thinking of more complex food products that might contain vinegar,
but that the vinegar is not the agent actually tarnishing the metal. A number
of vegetables and spices, that might be mixed with vinegar in pickled products,
will contain various sulphur compounds, for example. But are you sure you're
not confusing your memory with eggs? Those are notorious for tarnishing
silver.

Oh, as to durability...

Properly "oxidized", or 'tarnished", or "antiqued", (all terms used to
describe the black finish, which as i've noted, is made up of silver and copper
sulphides), the finish is reasonably durable where it's protected from
abrasion. And in areas getting just mild wear, it sort of restores itself as
quickly as you wear it down, since of course silver does tend to tarnish over
time, all on it's own.

Hope that helps.

Peter Rowe
Old February 12th 04, 05:14 PM
Charlie

Thanks for the offer, but I need to work out how to do this myself - I'd
like to sell them if it goes well with the rest of the jewellery I make.

Charlie.

Old February 12th 04, 05:14 PM

On 12-Feb-2004, Peter W. Rowe pwrowe@ixDOTnetcomDOTcom wrote:

The key is the sulphur. almost
any liquid that contains free sulphides will tarnish silver. If you go to
the
local gardening supply store, they may have garden sulphur products used
for
mold/mildew on plants

I use lime of sulfer and water it WAY down, like 1ml in a water glass. This
stuff will blacken silver and copper right now!
If used too strong it flakes off. When I use it, I want the whole part
black, so I put a drop of dishwashing soap in it and rub with my thumb till
I like it.

Les
Old February 12th 04, 05:14 PM
Don T

It may take a while, but, place the bracelet in a small plastic packet
filled with rubber bands. The sulfur in the rubber will cause the Silver to
tarnish.

--

Don Thompson

"The only stupid questions are those that should have been asked, but
weren't, or those that have been asked and answered over and over, but the
answers not listened to." Peter Rowe

Old February 12th 04, 05:14 PM
Charlie

"Peter W. Rowe" pwrowe@ixDOTnetcomDOTcom wrote in message

[...]

I thought we did an experiment in chemistry classes a few years ago where it
tarnished various metals. I know it certainly dulls solder (I make glass
pendants too that are soldered, I clean the glass with vinegar) so I thought
it might work the same. I'll have to go down to the garden centre.

Charlie.

Old February 13th 04, 06:50 AM
Mike72903

But are you sure you're
not confusing your memory with eggs? Those are notorious for tarnishing
silver.

For Sure. We use sterling flatware daily and unless washed immediately, you
can always tell from the fork tines when they have been used to eat eggs.
Black and impossible to wash off. Have to polish it off. Mike in Arkansas
Old February 13th 04, 06:50 AM
Abrasha

Charlie wrote:

I've designed a sterling silver bracelet made from twisted wire and would
like to tarnish it so that it goes black in the cracks of the twists,
similar to the look found on bali silver beads. I've read that the thing to
use is "liver of sulphur". Now, I can't find this for sale in the UK,

You just don't know how to use the Net

http://www.silveralchemy.com/tools.html, at a nosebleed price!

Next time, I'll charge you for doing a search for you. My charge is $125.00
per
hour with a four hour minimum.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old February 13th 04, 05:28 PM
Chris Hackett

If you can not find any Lime sulphur at your local gardening shop (this is
used as a fungicide).
Try W S Walsh & Sons, jewellery suppliers for liver of sulphur, bearing in
mind that lime sulphur is easier to keep and is usually cheaper. You can
also use it on your garden. If you live in New Zealand all you have to do is
take a trip to the thermal pools in Rotorua

http://www.clockmakerstools.com/prod...cts_a_z_L.html

Chris

Sterling Silver Bead Sonia Beads 1 March 22nd 04 10:18 PM
silverplated and sterling silver Audrey Beads 2 March 22nd 04 04:30 PM
Sterling silver question (.925) porkchops Jewelry 7 January 24th 04 07:58 PM
Sterling or Fine Silver? Jenny Jewelry 2 January 13th 04 08:39 AM
Makers mark - Sterling silver Dave Ryman Jewelry 1 October 20th 03 04:15 PM