Roll Call: What did you do "quilty" today?

Old October 15th 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bronnie

Default Roll Call: What did you do "quilty" today?

Taria wrote:
Does working on my soon to be quilt room count? We are hoping to sell
one house and move back into the other. (any positive vibes in selling
would well be appreciated, btw) I spent yesterday working on the closet
shelving. I'm trying to make every bit of space work so it has sort of
been like a puzzle. My quilting stuff is scattered over 2 houses and
I am anxious to get back to whatever normal is. Hopefully it will
be before all my hair goes gray.
Fun topic Kate.
Taria

Kate G. wrote:

I didn't get any sewing done... but did receive a special goody in the mail! Nancy's Notions had
advertised a great deal on thread with a nice storage case AND a sewing machine travel case. I
splurged. It came today. I am so excited!

I hope to get back to work on the DWR tomorrow.

Friday I bought fabric to be ready to jump right in on joining my guild BOM's from last year (need
the top assembled by our November meeting). That will be a simple sashing -- 3 narrow rows of
fabric (dark purple on the outside - white in the middle) with 9 patches in the cornerstones. You
can see the EQ version in my webshots folder. All 24 blocks are finished. It is just the sashing I
need to complete.

So hopefully by this time next week... the notorious DWR will be on its way to the long arm quilter
in Minnesota... and the Purple/White BOM will be ready to go when I get the DWR back!

Kate in MI

I've been on 'struggle street' with my quilting this weekend! And it's
driving me nuts.

I am working on an original design with a diamond pieced background in
Japan-esy indigos etc and that worked out great. Now I am trying to
applique cherry blossom flowers on top. Applique is not my strong
suite, I do have a good 'how to' book however. Problem is I wanted to
use a japanese poly fabric (because it was a lovely soft apricot/pink)
which looks great against the background but after a few horrible
attempts using freezer paper (tried on top and underneath) I gave up -
frayed far too much and was too 'fluid'.
Frustrated, I went to the LQS, and found a substitute normal quilt
cotton fabric which looks pretty. I practised again with these little
flowers - 2.75in across with 10 points - got some advice from a friend
who is fey with applique and now have something reasonable - paper
underneath method. I am now about to prepare about 50 flowers basting
onto the paper etc.
Then, I will tackle appliqueing them onto the background.

This project will either endear me to applique or swear me off it for
life!!

Grumpffffff....
Bronnie

Old October 15th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

WOW!

Hope we get to see photos of this one. It sounds yummy!

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

"Bronnie" wrote in message
oups.com...
:
: Kate G. wrote:
:
[...]
: http://community.webshots.com/user/K_Groves
:
:
:

Old October 15th 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bronnie

Cats wrote:
WOW!

Hope we get to see photos of this one. It sounds yummy!

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o
( Y ) ( Y ) ( Y )
Enness Boofhead Donut
catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

[snip]

Hummppffff... not the way I am feeling now, but ask me again in a few
weeks grin.
Bron

Old October 16th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Betty in Wi

Can I start with Friday? I and 6 other quilters piled into a van and did a
northern Minnesota Shop Hop. We hit 7 shops in one day.....6 were on the
shop hop, we managed to find one more. The inside of the van was decorated
with quilts, we had magazines, and quilt pattern books....one cooler held
sodas and water, the other sandwiches, veggies, dried apricots, cheese
sticks and oh, yes.........chocolate! We ate lunch in the van to save time.
Almost back home, we stopped at a great restaurant and finished our day with
dinner.

Then yesterday, was our guild meeting....so I hit the road again. Our
meetings are an hour away from my house.

Today.....too tired to quilt!

Betty in WI

"Susan Torrens" wrote in message
I went to a group community quilts day with some members of my guild. We
sandwiched some tops that had been donated, sewed on labels, machine
quilted
a couple of quilts, and layed out some donated quilt blocks to make
another
top.

Old October 16th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dannielle

This weekend I put together a few blocks on a quilt top that I had
pointed my mother towards, and she gave up on after cutting out all of
the pieces for the entire top and sewing one small portion of the block
together. I wanted the quilt for myself, so I took it off her hands
and I put together three more of the smaller pieces to create one big
block and am now looking at the problems that are appearing and trying
to decide on how to rectify those.

While waiting for inspiration to overcome me with that, I have been
reading up on the history of Maryland quilting, reading a good book on
borders and bindings, and doing some research on what I have come to
realize is my ultimate dream and how I can make it a reality.

I also started adding the binding to a quilt that my mother made for my
son, as she doesn't care much for doing the binding and I offered to do
it for her. But I'm not happy with the start on it and am trying to
summon up the energy to take it off and re-work it.

Oh, and I've also been reviewing the BOM so I can come up with next
month's installment for all of you! I have to do December's as well,
because I am going to be so terribly busy throughout the month of
November!!!

Dannielle

Old October 16th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maria in NC

I went to a quilt show in Greensboro. That was all I did today as far as
"quilty" goes.

Hugs,

Maria

Maria Cherry
remove the penguins
http://community.webshots.com/user/mcherry1508

*****
"In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats."
(English Proverb)

Old October 16th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Golly Bronnie you are either really brave or have already
lost your mind LOL
10 points on less than a 3" piece? That is going to be
wonderful. We'll be your cheering crowd.
Go Bronnie Go!
Taria

Old October 16th 06, 06:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

Well I bought a Brother 1500S last Thursday. I brought it home and
played with it on my sewing table to check out the tension and such.

On Friday afternoon I loaded some muslin on my Hinterburg and put my
"bubba" on the frame. Been practicing machine quilting since then. So
far I have not broken any needles, shredded or broken any thread,
BUT... am not doing NASCAR speeds either. Finally I can quilt more
than two quilts a year.

Kate T.
South Mississippi

Old October 16th 06, 08:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Yes, I know - I remember your dismay when your DH chose the pattern!
but, think of the relief when it is done g and the warm glow when you
receive all the appreciation for it. And it really is lovely, you know.
..
In message , Sharon
Harper writes
I have hated this quilt from the get go Pat. Truly, totally and completely
hated it. It sits there on the back of my chair waiting for me each time I
pass it and it is all I can do not to go for it with a pair of scissors!!!
Every so often out of guilt that it has taken so long, I do some quilting on
it but geeze it hurts. Hate, hate hate!!!

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 16th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nancy in NS

I worked at creating a sewing space in my spare bedroom. No
easy task, let me tell you!

Nancy in NS
http://community.webshots.com/user/loves2quilt

OT warning, bee in my bonnet Polly Esther Quilting 125 July 29th 05 03:40 PM
Online Quilt Stores, a roll call Diana Curtis Quilting 55 January 28th 05 03:45 PM
roll call Marijke Quilting 16 January 18th 05 03:40 AM
ROLL CALL Scott Williams Quilting 10 January 12th 05 04:05 AM
OT -- CA ROLL CALL BeckiBead Beads 51 November 12th 03 01:49 AM