The Bi-Annual Chore

Old June 20th 07, 04:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Terri

Default The Bi-Annual Chore

Once about every six months or so my scrap bin fills up so much I have to
stop and take the time to pull it all out and individually iron it and
cut it into usuable pieces, perhaps for a scrappy quilt somewhere down
the road. I'll begin by finding the biggest piece possible to cut then,
because I do this to honor our forequilters in their frugality, I'll
take the remaining pieces and cut each one of those into the biggest
size possible.
I'll start by going down to a 2" size square because as my grandmother
taught me, raised during The Depression Era as she was, born in 1906:
"Waste not want not".
As the day progresses I find the need to take more and more breaks,
get yet another cup of coffee and oh , look at that mess on the table
will you? Someone has better clean that up and oh nose! The laundry
needs done again!
The dogs need to go outside in the heat more and more frequently during
the afternoon: guess I'll need to make an appointment to check them for
UTIs.

Back at the cutting table I realize that it's silly to make any
other size than 5" or 2.5" because really, how often do I really use
3", 3.5" 4" and 4.5" squares? I'm always finding a use for the 2.5"
squares so that's my goal!
I congratulate myself on my efficiency! Grandmother would be proud!
I occasionally run across a special piece of fabric that really needs
to be cut into a 2" square so I still diligently dice and slice away.
Around 9pm or so, I look down and realize I am about 1/4 of the way done
with the large kitchen trash bag container that seems to have gotten
much bigger since this morning.
I just realized that I could really speed this up by cutting ALL
5" squares! Later, when I'm stronger, I can cut those into 2.5" squares
and who needs those special 2" squares, really?
No one, that's who!
I can still hear my Grandmother's voice in my head scolding me for wasting
all those valuable little scrap pieces but you know what?
Grandma also said: "See a penny pick it up".
Yeah right. Do you have any idea how much a lousy penny is worth these
days?

Old June 20th 07, 07:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Terri-

I admire you for going thru your scraps like that- very ambitious. I don't
do scrappy, so I ship my scraps to someone else who can- and will- do the
cutting and sorting. At least they don't go to waste that way. VBG

On the subject of canine UTIs- it's easy to get a urine sample and your vet
will appreciate it for making the diagnosis easier. Once the dog gets
'going' they won't even notice if you slip a container under them and catch
a sample. A disposable aluminum pie plate works well for the females. I
haven't caught a male yet, but I would be sure to use something with a large
opening. Sorry for such a tacky subject on our quilting group. but the
health of our precious QIs must come first. Oh, it might be that they are
simply drinking more water with the heat, too, necessitating more frequent
trips outdoors? Fingers crossed that's all it is and no medical woes.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old June 20th 07, 11:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Be still my heart! You mean you toss out anything smaller than 2"??
Roberta in D, Queen of the Scrap Heap and feeling faint

Old June 20th 07, 01:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Default The Bi-Annual Chore or not?

Don't get carried away with cutting all of the scraps into squares.
Sometimes you could need just a little something to make chenille and it
must be cut from bias. Last night I put fuzzy tails on rabbits from
Grandma's Bunnies by Darcy Ashton. When I have no creative enthusiasm,
Darcy's book is a good place to go. Her rabbits are precious even when
doldrums have set in. Polly

Old June 20th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Charlotte Hippen

Your grandma and mine would have gotten along great. I feel so guilty when
I throw pieces of fabric away, no matter how tiny. I do like the idea of
saving all those little 'unusable' bits for use as stuffing in pillows, etc.
So far I have only made a 'pillow' for my K9 QI's crate. I'm not sure if
I'm going to be making any more as they are very heavy and I don't currently
have a use or the space for another one. I do feel better about making at
least one, and I know my grandma would be pleased with that. Take comfort
in the fact that she would be happy you are at least making use of some of
the scraps, that is what try to I do. And if it would make you feel better
save the others and send them to someone who would use them.

--
Charlotte
http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108

Old June 20th 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

I take 2 of those 2" squares and use them for starters/enders. You would be
surprised at how far *I* am on a postage stamp quilt just in the last 4
years. Not worried about duplicates or what color is next to what. DH has
already claimed it as his! I'm also working on a Chinese Coin one --only
requirement is that they have to be 5" wide and same same has to be moved at
least one fabric down. Once again, I'm not worried on 2 fabrics the same in
the quilt. That one also has been claimed when I only had one row 20" long!

What I do is 'cut as I go'. After the project is cut out, I cut up quite a
bit of the small leftovers...have a bin of 5" squares and another of diff
size squares and strips and then one of the 2" squares..with a smaller one
by the SM.

So, if you don't wanna fool with them, there are a few of us willing to take
them off your hands....wouldn't even mind paying postage. Wasn't there a
fella on here that was asking for 2" squares not too long ago....is he still
collecting? No, Roberta, I'm not trying to take them away from you.....just
letting her know she has more options

Butterfly

Old June 21st 07, 12:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Ms B:
You are brave to cut the scraps up as soon as you cut
the project! Anticipating the need to redo a block
or to add corner squares or what not, I save all pieces
until the top is layered and basted. I also try to save
a few scraps for future repair.

As to the small squares as starters and enders .... I
do the same. It is fun! I like the Chinese Coins quilts
and now you've given me an idea for use of those odd
strips. I'll keep them near the SM and start a scrappy
CC quilt! Finally, what I really cannot use goes to the
donation table at the Guild ... free stuff available to
anyone at the meeting.

PAT in VA/USA

Old June 21st 07, 01:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Denise in NH

I was feeling frustrated every time I walked through my semi-organized
sewing room and decided I needed to take out all of my material and
refold it. Most of my material is fat quarters in multiple wooden shoe
cubbies. There are 65 cubbies and each one can hold about 20 fat
quarters. By ironing and refolding I found that I can fit even more
material in each cubbie. I ironed about 4 hours yesterday and barely
finished one row of cubbies, 12 more rows to go. AAARRRGGGHH!!! I'm
re-thinking how they were organized at the same time. I'm going to put
all the florals together, instead of blue florals with the blue fabric,
pink florals with the pink fabric, etc. That way I'll be able to see at
a glance what I have for floral. I'll do the same with plaids and
stripes. Now, anything with blue is together and I'm finding it
confusing.

My friend has a great idea for quilting. She and 2 of her cousins are
all quilters, but live many hours apart. They each pick a different
weekend spaced out over a year and go to each other's houses for a long
weekend (Friday night to Sunday night) . On "your" weekend, you can
choose whatever you want your guests to do for you. The hostess gets all
the perks. My friend will pull out a ton of material and tell her
cousins to cut it all up into 5 inch squares, or whatever she needs,
then on her own, at a later date, she has mountains of pre-cut squares
to make charity quilts. Her cousin needed help sorting, cutting, and
making kits for her guild, so the three of them took two full days to
work on it together. The other cousin buys woolen clothing at charity
shops to cut up for woolen quilts, so on her weekend, they dismantle
suit coats, woolen skirts, etc, and cut tons of her sized squares.

During their "quilt retreat weekends" they work from morning till night,
only breaking for meals. They get so much work done, most of it the
tedious stuff that takes forever when you're alone. It's a great
bonding time for the three of them, and they accomplish so much.

To catch dog piddles for the vet, tape a soup ladle to the end of a
yardstick and as soon as the stream starts place under appropriate area.
It works great and doesn't spook the dog. Don't shove it under them
until the stream has started.

Denise in NH

Old June 21st 07, 04:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Since I only cut up the 'small' bits, this means I have the big bits just in
case...and yuppers, every so often I get in a hurry and OOOOOOOOPS! so
OOOOOOPS goes into the smaller bits and then squares......and I have to cut
another of the correct size.

It's been ages and ages since I did a repeat using the one set of fabrics
only in a quilt as I tend to use a variety of fabrics in every quilt. I'm
pretty fussy when I do a HUG but for the daily ones most anything
goes.....guess I love color to much.

On the other hand..I am collecting for a black/white quilt----just haven't
found a design that would make me happy yet---I'm thinking I don't want to
be locked into one shape but I don't want a sampler and I don't want to
loose the prints on some of these fabrics either......gonna hafta do some
more cogitatin on this one........

Butterfly (sounds like I need to get back to quilting, doesn't itg)

Old June 21st 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On 21 Jun 2007 15:18:24 GMT, Terri wrote:

"Polly Esther" wrote in
:

Don't get carried away with cutting all of the scraps into squares.
Sometimes you could need just a little something to make chenille and it
must be cut from bias. Last night I put fuzzy tails on rabbits from
Grandma's Bunnies by Darcy Ashton.

This sounds like an interesting book but I found that it's out of print!
Wah!

So is Claire's Cats. I will get my hands on both books eventually by
Half.com, Ebay and other auction sites, quilt shows, quilt shops, book
stores, and used book stores. Do not despair, you can get your own
the same way.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at