What type of bead to use?

Old February 19th 07, 12:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
LilaDuncan

Default What type of bead to use?

Hi,
I want to make some articulated toys from wood, strung together with
nylon cord. There will be beads between the wooden components, acting
as decorative spacers. Some of the constructions will be quite rigid
and some will need to be more flexible. I would ideally like the beads
to be colorful and shiny but their most important feature will need to
be their resistance to the pressures caused by the flexing wooden
components. Can anyone please tell me what kind of bead would be most
suitable for this job?

Kind regards,
Lila Duncan

Old February 19th 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Sue Walker

Have you thought about just using wooden beads? Maybe some
can be found already painted -- or you could spray paint them
yourself.... Just a thought.

oups.com

Old February 19th 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
LilaDuncan

On 19 Feb, 14:48, "Sue Walker" wrote:
Have you thought about just using wooden beads? Maybe some
can be found already painted -- or you could spray paint them
yourself.... Just a thought.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Wooden beads will probably be quite tough by comparison with some
brittle types of glass beads. I have this idea that the color and
sparkle of faceted glass or crystal beads would add a lot to the
visual effect. Whether there are some
of these types of beads that are particularly tough, I've yet to
learn.

Kind regards,
Lila Duncan.

Old February 20th 07, 03:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
JB

The first thing that came to my mind is the big wooden beads kids use to
string with the thick cords. Glass breaks. There just isn't any tough
enough for a kid, so I wouldn't use it for a toy. I've seen acrylic beads
like you describe. Bet if you do a search you can find them.
Joan

http://bytheindigorabbit.com

ups.com...

Old February 20th 07, 04:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
bluemaxx

Lila, you could use plastic or lucite beads. They're pretty tough and I
imagine they would flex more than glass. Plastic beads come in lovely
colors and shapes nowadays... some even look like crystal with the way
they're faceted.

Here's a link to some larger plastic beads.... they're 20mm, 18mm & 15mm
http://www.bjcraftsupplies.com/beads/acrylic3.asp
And this link has LOTS of colors, with a $20 min. order...
http://www.facetedbeadart.com/beadery-faceted-bead.html

hugs,
Linda
Tucker-cat photos: http://www.picturetrail.com/bluemaxx
Cat Surgery Fund eBay auctions: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtwolegs

:

Old February 20th 07, 01:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
LilaDuncan

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and the links.
I'm going to try the acrylic beads. Some of them look lovely.
I'm trying to develop a range of items, including toys, that have a
distinctive design style.
Once I find the practical combinations I most like, I can go into
production.

Kind regards,
Lila Duncan.

OT I can type again!! Cheryl in Oz Quilting 9 December 30th 05 05:38 PM
Favorite type of bead Empress Beads Beads 27 May 10th 05 08:53 AM
Looking for a type of bail WillMore Jewelry 0 September 12th 04 09:11 PM
type of torch? Robin Jewelry 1 May 24th 04 02:39 AM
What type of yarn are you? Kayrun Yarn 65 February 19th 04 12:51 PM