table runner length?

Old October 20th 05, 04:21 PM
Pam in Spencerport

Default table runner length?

Anyone know the best length to make a table runner? I plan on making
one for my mom for Christmas. The table is 42" round. I want to use
the 12" Oregon Trail block. Check here (scroll to bottom),

http://www.quilterscache.com/M_O/Ont...railBlock.html

Should I make 4 blocks and have it hang over the sides of the table
several inches, or should I make 3 blocks and add a little to make it
hang over just a couple inches? I'd like to add the tassles too. Is
there a rule of thumb about how many inches a table runner should hang
over a table edge?

Other quilting news, I am making good progress on a couple floor
pillows for xmas gifts to my sisters. They are both samplers, I'm using
flannels and they will be about 27-28 inches. I love flannel and these
pillows are turning out great. I just might have to make one for myself!

Old October 20th 05, 04:31 PM
Jenn/Jalynne

I don't know of any rules, but if you're going to use tassels, I'd stick
with the shorter length.

--
Jenn/Jalynne
quilting, beads, scrapbooking, cross stitch and other 'crafti' obsessions

oups.com...

Old October 20th 05, 10:38 PM
Cheryl

How long is a piece of string?

I don't think there are any rules. Do what you think would look best. Or
make the extra block and lay it out - if you think it is too long take it
out and make a small mat for a lamp out of it.

--

Cheryl
cawaites@netconnectDOTcomDOTau

Old October 21st 05, 02:16 AM
Polly Esther

I'd like it long enough so that the tassels will be over the edge. Please
send it to me and I'll see how it looks on my round table. You can use blue
and silver, red and green - any Christmasy colors will be fine. Send it by
Dec 1st. Polly

Old October 21st 05, 04:01 AM
extremevalues

A bunch of wise guys, this group, can you believe it, anyone knows a
table runner must be exactly 6.675" longer than the table. divide that
by 2 and you will have an approximately 3.3359" drop on each end of the
table.

Silly girls trying to lay claim on your runner. Don't let them get to
you! Next thing you know you will not have any fabric left!

Carol in TX
Need therapy? Make a quilt!

Old October 21st 05, 04:16 AM
Tracey

"Pam in Spencerport" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone know the best length to make a table runner? I plan on making
one for my mom for Christmas. The table is 42" round. I want to use
the 12" Oregon Trail block. Check here (scroll to bottom),

There is no 'best', just personal prefernce. Personally, I prefer that the
table runner does not hang off the end of the table, but thats just me. If
the runner does not hang off the end of the table, then it is less
interesting for a toddler running by to grab onto (I'm speaking from
experience here! LOL). Same with the tassles, they are just too much of a
tempting handle for the toddler and the kitties.

Old October 21st 05, 10:42 AM
nzlstar*

i got first Dibs on the bright sherbety oranges to go with my LIMEs.
so there, Miss Smarty Pants Carol.
hrmph, you must be thinking all we do around here is raid stashes and beg
for fabs.
well i never!!!!
we also spend way too much time scoffing down copious amounts of all kinds
of chocolate, just ask anyone with the drippings off their chin to show for
their efforts.
)
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"extremevalues" wrote...

Old October 21st 05, 03:46 PM
Susan Torrens

Does your Mom have cats? Tassels make great cat toys!

--
Susan in Kingston ON
quilting - what else?

Old October 21st 05, 03:51 PM
Butterfly

Now that is a superb idea----NO fabric left means you have to go SHOPPING.
Shopping? What's that?

Butterfly (firm believer in supporting LQS's)

oups.com...

Old October 21st 05, 11:46 PM
Pam in Spencerport

Polly Esther wrote:
I'd like it long enough so that the tassels will be over the edge. Please
send it to me and I'll see how it looks on my round table. You can use blue
and silver, red and green - any Christmasy colors will be fine. Send it by
Dec 1st. Polly

Hehheh. yea, right, sure Polly... I bet your 'test' would last till
after Christmas ?? Actually I was thinking of making this runner two
sided. One side for everyday use in her fave colors, the other side
with more Christmasy fabric. But I dont know, I have to see how the one
sides goes, I guess. I'm thinking I might have too many projects
planned as it is anyway.

Mostly OT - table runner OT Sherry Starr Quilting 3 August 30th 05 10:01 PM
Table runner happy dance Maureen Wozniak Quilting 24 May 3rd 05 01:23 PM
Table Linens Suzanne Needlework 15 September 12th 04 10:37 PM
table runner question CNYstitcher Quilting 2 October 13th 03 08:11 PM
need advice on a table runner Ann Quilting 4 September 19th 03 01:35 PM