'Tis the annual posting.....

Old May 5th 13, 09:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C

Default 'Tis the annual posting.....

Most people don't know that back in 1912, Hellmann's mayonnaise was
manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars
of the condiment scheduled for delivery on May 5th in Vera Cruz, Mexico,
which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop
in New York.

This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever
delivered to Mexico. But as we know, the great ship did not make it to
New York. The ship hit an iceberg and sank, and the cargo was forever lost.

The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise and were eagerly
awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was
so great that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they
still observe to this day.

The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is known,
of course, as Sinko De Mayo.

And now you know where the name originated!

--

Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader/Translator www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Finished 4/6/13 – French Country Wedding Bells (JBW)

WIP: Stitchers Days of Christmas
http://www.crossstitchjoy.com/catalo...oducts_id=3865
Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono (Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

www.CFSfacts.org -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf

COPYRIGHT 2013 -- PERMISSION GIVEN TO POST ON
USENET AND GOOGLE GROUPS NEWSREADER ONLY,
BUT IF FOUND ON TWITTER OR SEW GIRLS, IT HAS
BEEN REPUBLISHED WITHOUT MY PERMISSION WHICH
CONSTITUTES ILLEGAL COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT

Old May 6th 13, 12:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

On 5/5/2013 4:03 PM, Karen C wrote:

[...]

Tastes NOTHING like I grew up with!!!!! Definitely an American taste!
Americans can believe anything (r.d.&h)

Old May 8th 13, 01:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman[_2_]

[...]

DD volunteers weekly at the SPCA, and since Cinco de Mayo fell on a
Sunday she was there to celebrate Cinco de Gato....all rescue cats only
a $5 adoption fee. I thought that was pretty clever!

Changing the subject - rather, following up on the second line of
inquirty - lately I hear raves about Duke's mayo....opinions? I've never
tried it - we don't use much mayo at our house, and we've switched to
the olive-oil based kind. But dang, Duke's is expensive compared to
store brand!

sue

--
Susan Hartman
Old May 8th 13, 03:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

On 5/7/2013 8:14 PM, Susan Hartman wrote:
[...]

We use very little Mayo, but have tried it. Cannot be a true judge,
because it isn't something I grew up with. To my mind they all taste the
same, Mayo, MW...give me real butter any day!

Gillian
Old May 8th 13, 11:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
sara

On Tue, 07 May 2013 22:08:17 -0400, Gillian Murray
wrote:

Mayo, MW...give me real butter any day!

But not in tuna salad...

Sara
Old May 8th 13, 10:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

wrote:

Mayo, MW...give me real butter any day!

But not in tuna salad...

You can keep your tuna, Sara. I'll take ham salad, thank you! Made
with Miracle Whip, not the tasteless mayo.

turning this into a real mayo/MW war!
--
Joan

See my pictures he http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures

Unknown
Old May 8th 13, 11:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
fran

Duke's is made by the same company as Hellman's. For the life of me,
I cannot tell the difference. I buy whichever is cheaper. Which
reminds me - I've just about emptied the jar I have, time to put it on
the list....

Old May 9th 13, 01:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 5/7/13 8:14 PM, Susan Hartman wrote:
[...]

Cute

Changing the subject - rather, following up on the second line of
inquirty - lately I hear raves about Duke's mayo....opinions? I've never
tried it - we don't use much mayo at our house, and we've switched to
the olive-oil based kind. But dang, Duke's is expensive compared to
store brand!

sue

I buy the Hellmans Olive Oil mayo at BJ's in the "Big but not Stupid
Big" jar. Lasts us about for about 40 cans of tuna salad plus the odd
chicken or turkey salad or tomato sandwich.

Old May 9th 13, 03:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

wrote:

Mayo, MW...give me real butter any day!

But not in tuna salad...

Sara

my stomach turns just thinking about it!

The Bi-Annual Chore Terri Quilting 37 June 26th 07 04:26 AM
The annual reckoning Nann Hilyard Quilting 10 January 12th 06 07:30 PM
My annual reckoning nbhilyard Quilting 26 January 17th 05 10:52 PM
OT addendum on my annual NightMist Quilting 1 July 19th 04 09:49 PM
The annual tally Nbhilyard Quilting 16 January 9th 04 02:22 PM