OT OT how to destroy

Old September 6th 10, 04:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default OT OT how to destroy

I need to destroy a computer. It's not that I'm angry or anything. I just
need it destroyed to ashes.
There's nothing on it that would be particularly useful to the law
enforcement drones - just stuff that's personal and I don't want to share.
Do I take a screwdriver and axe, disembody it and set the whole
thing on fire?
Years ago, a friend of DD's took one out to the police dept's firing
range and let them have a go at it. (That computer was a contrary mean
cruel worthless ornery ... well, you get the picture ... and it gave him a
lot of pleasure to have it shot through.)
I don't need that level of killing; just want to know a 'safe' way to
obliterate everything on this one and make it gone, gone, gone. Polly

Old September 6th 10, 05:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 22:49:51 -0500, Polly Esther wrote:

I need to destroy a computer. It's not that I'm angry or anything. I
just need it destroyed to ashes.
There's nothing on it that would be particularly useful to the law
enforcement drones - just stuff that's personal and I don't want to
share.
Do I take a screwdriver and axe, disembody it and set the whole
thing on fire?
Years ago, a friend of DD's took one out to the police dept's
firing
range and let them have a go at it. (That computer was a contrary mean
cruel worthless ornery ... well, you get the picture ... and it gave
him a lot of pleasure to have it shot through.)
I don't need that level of killing; just want to know a 'safe' way
obliterate everything on this one and make it gone, gone, gone. Polly

Tell me which Windows version please?

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old September 6th 10, 05:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate in MI

You don't need to kill the whole computer. Assuming it is a desktop (not a
laptop) - just take the cover off and pull out the hard drive, put the cover
back on and contact your local recycling center to find out what to do with
it.

Then take a hammer to the hard drive. (Put it in a zip loc back -- so the
pieces don't fly all over the place.

The data is on the hard drive. The other stuff would not have data on it.

Happy smashing!

--
Kate in MI

Old September 6th 10, 06:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

When I wanted a computer GONE, I removed the hard drive, beat hell out
of it with a hammer, and then squirted Super Glue into every hole and
crack. The other pieces I simply threw away.
Old September 6th 10, 08:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

Once you have bashed it to bits, dispose of the pieces in a few bins
in different areas. Then even a determined jigsaw enthusiast cannot
put it back together again.

Yes, I watch too much television.

No, I've never done it.

But I HAVE tried to ressurect some wiped files. And couldn't.

Nel
(Gadget Queen)
Old September 6th 10, 11:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

On 06/09/2010 04:49, Polly Esther wrote:
I need to destroy a computer. It's not that I'm angry or anything. I
just need it destroyed to ashes.
There's nothing on it that would be particularly useful to the law
enforcement drones - just stuff that's personal and I don't want to share.
Do I take a screwdriver and axe, disembody it and set the whole thing on
fire?
Years ago, a friend of DD's took one out to the police dept's firing
range and let them have a go at it. (That computer was a contrary mean
cruel worthless ornery ... well, you get the picture ... and it gave him
a lot of pleasure to have it shot through.)
I don't need that level of killing; just want to know a 'safe' way to
obliterate everything on this one and make it gone, gone, gone. Polly

Delete ALL files, including the operating system. Format the disk.
Then take it out and break it up as Nel suggests.

Take the rest in for recycling.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old September 6th 10, 01:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Dunno, NM. Whatever came before Vista I guess. Polly

"NightMist" on this one and make it gone, gone, gone. Polly

Old September 6th 10, 01:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

You underestimate how clueless I am but I like the way you think. What does
the hard drive look like? Polly

"Kate in MI"

Old September 6th 10, 01:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nana.Wilson

OH! Polly, guilty of computer'cide'? I'd just re-format the hard drive. I
believe that wipes it all clean. We give our ole parts away on Freecycle.

Nana

Old September 6th 10, 01:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Computer'cide? I like that. I just didn't want some slug having access to
my memoirs and financial records. It is no surprise to me that you quilters
have such great ideas on destroying. You all are really something. Polly

"Nana.Wilson"