OT NZ Earthquakes continuing

Old September 8th 10, 03:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carol in NZ

Default OT NZ Earthquakes continuing

If anybody is interested
http://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/...nt_quakes.html

Carol in Auckland NZ
Old September 8th 10, 07:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*[_5_]

they had another big aftershock today too.
estimated cost to the nation is about $1,000 per person. thats about $4.5
billion dollars.
the main seaport for the south island is in Chch, that is going to seriously
cause some problems getting shipped everything into the south island.
coming the day after the govt bails out the SCF company too. geez.
recession, whats that.
construction industry and building tradesmen will be in work for a long long
time.
building or repairing or earthquake-proofing an estimated 100K homes alone
will take a long time. where folks will live in the meantime, who knows.
might have to relocate til the homes are rebuilt, then move back. that is
still a lot of people to relocate in our small population.
at least we are heading into summer, i guess that is something. gives plenty
of months to get new homes built. do we have enough skilled
builders/tradesmen in NZ to do it in a short time.
oh dear.
j.

"Carol in NZ" wrote ...

Old September 8th 10, 07:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bronnie[_2_]

On 8 Sep, 12:21, Carol in NZ wrote:
If anybody is interestedhttp://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/quakes/recent_quakes.html

Carol in Auckland NZ

Thanks for posting the link Carol. useful to us in Oz as well.
Bronnie
Old September 8th 10, 12:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

So glad you NZ folks have reported in. I used to work with a person who
never quite grasped our silly expressions and she often said that she liked
to 'get her chickens in the street'. We knew she meant she liked to have
her 'ducks in a row' and that is true with us. We need to know that you are
safe and are so very grateful to learn that you are. Polly

Old September 8th 10, 02:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

And just because all you ducks are lined up in a row doesn't mean
we'll start shooting at you! We mean this affectionately :-)
Roberta in D

Old September 8th 10, 05:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Janner

Even though I know that you are on the ring of fire, I never realised
what a seismically active place New Zealand was. Wow... thanks for
educating us.

Janner
France

Old September 8th 10, 11:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*[_5_]

lots and lots of old historic beautiful buildings downtown are damaged
beyond repair.
some have already been demolished.
rebuilding a city so old and historic will be hard to come up with how they
want their 'new city' to look.
i'm guessing they'll want much the same only all buildings fully built to
withstand big quakes. these were not.
there are plenty of pix online to see what has/is coming down around the
central city.
i'm guessing it will take at least a decade to rebuild all the
homes/buildings to the right standards and repair/replace the infrastructure
of the water/waste water systems around the area.
gonna take a long long time.
j.

"Alice in PA" wrote ...
Last January, my DH and I took a cruise around NZ and docked at
Christchurch. We spent hours roaming around the city center, the cathedral,
the Botanical Gardens, etc. The church was behind scaffolding and netting
for repairs while we were there. I wonder how it held up? I just can't
believe some of the photos of the damage, especially the large cracks and
upheavals in the roads!

I hope the aftershocks stop soon; they can be really hard on the nerves.
BTDT!
--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu

Old September 9th 10, 01:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leigh Harris[_3_]

Just a few weeks ago (in July) we spent a week in NZ with two nights in a
hotel in the CBD of Christchurch. It's a little freaky to think we were
right in that area that was closed off, and up on the 14th floor too.

Christchurch is a beautiful place and I hope they manage to get as much of
that beauty repaired as possible. I haven't heard anything about the main
cathedral being damaged, but I know there have been some very old churches
and other buildings damaged beyond repair, not to mention thousands of homes
too. It will be a long road of recovery ahead, but like their PM said,
they'll "do what New Zealanders do and work together".

--
Leigh Harris
Perth, Western Australia