Batting Question?

Old July 12th 04, 06:12 PM
Patti

That depends!
The one I am just finishing is one twelfth scale of a full size quilt.
One twelfth is the usual dolls house scale size. Mine is 7" x 9"
finished: 48 log cabin blocks with a half inch border. Each log is 0.2"
ggg.

Yes, I know I'm mad ... fun isn't it?!!
..
In article , Dr.Quilter
writes
a doll quilt? how big is it? if it is small enough, maybe some of us can
send you leftovers of different battings so you can compare? or even a 10"
square so you can make some potholders or coasters and test them....

I can provide W&N since it is the only one I recognize. That is, I've used
hobbs and many other brands, I am sure, but since the remnants are all in a
bag I don't know which is which.

I once bough the softest most beautiful batting ever. it was kind of easy to
disassemble though, if you pulled too much. no idea what brand it was and I
cannot find it again...

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 12th 04, 08:25 PM
I.E.Z.

"Sudrlg" wrote in message
Hi Marissa

re cotton vs poly batt. I use both - depending on what look I want.

Sometimes
I prefer fluffier, sometimes flatter, for kid quilts I only use cotton. I

know
you said
"most" but I think lots of folks use poly batting and get good results.

Hobbs
and Quilters Dream - both known for good quality batting - manufacture

poly and
cotton.
I am not a machine quilter, but I can see how it would be easier to use

cotton
for that technique. For hand quilting, I am happy with either - poly

being
slightly easier to use. I don't consider it "awful" at all. I usually

use
Hobbs 80/20 for cotton and Fairfield for poly - mostly because they are

easiest
to come by in my area, and I have never had a problem with either.
I know poly can beard - but thankfully I have never had that problem. I

am not
sure if the bearding is because of a quality of the batt or the fabric -

or
both. Anyone have info on that?
Hope you don't see this as argumentative - just an opinion, and a

question.

Deena - in Philly

I agree - I use Quilter's Dream Poly for my (few and far between!) large
quilts and I do machine quilt. I make zillions of quillows - probably
close to eighty or ninety in the last ten years - and I use Fairfield
traditional poly for them. Works fine. I have several that I use and wash
and they still look good.

The cottin is supposed to be good for machine quilting because it "grabs"
the fabric. This is true, but I've found it more of a hindrance. The stuff
(either Quilter's Dream cotton or Warm & Natural) sure did grab while I was
trying to smooth it out. Aggravating! And sometimes it would hang up
during quilting. Maybe it's a matter of technique, I don't know. I just
find the poly perfectly easy to pin baste smoothly and I almost never have
tucks. It washes well and seems to hold up.

I guess we use whatever works best for us!

Iris

Old July 12th 04, 09:15 PM
Dr.Quilter

I just love natural materials. I use only cotton fabric, cotton thread, so I
stick to (at least 80%) cotton batting as well. I have never had a problem
hand quilting W&N, and it is the 'hardest' cotton batting I've seen. Maybe I
would get more stitches to the inch if I used poly, but I feel this is
better... I just abhor the feeling of all poly batting! And the only quilt
I've made that has had bearding is the first one, in which I had no clue
what I was doing and I used wallmart fabric and poly batting....

Old July 13th 04, 03:23 AM
muse9

Aren't you sweet to suggest that! I bought some Hobbs 100% cotton batting
and some Hobbs 80/20 batting a while back when Hobby Lobby had it on sale
for 1/2 price. I knew at some point I would use it! So I do have some
batting. In fact I covered an old table with cotton batting and then muslin
and I use it for an ironing table and also a cutting table when I add my
rotary mat to it.

The quilt I'm making is meant to be a wall hanging. It is a 30x30 nine
patch. I got the pattern from an Alex Anderson beginner book. I am doing
it in all pinks and purples for my granddaughter. It is almost big enough
to be a lap quilt for her if she wants but it started out to be a large doll
quilt. I made her a doll last Christmas and I've made some doll clothes for
her dolls as well. This just seemed to be a good first quilting project for
me.

The one thing that surprised me about the batting is how thin it is. I
don't know what I was expecting, but somehow I thought batting was thicker!
I know you can buy some that is but I understand the traditional batting is
easiest for quilting.

Thank you so much for your very kind offer - I really appreciate it. I have
some for now to get me started and I'm hoping since so many have said that
Hobbs is good that what I have will work out well.

Bonnie

"Dr.Quilter" wrote

Old July 13th 04, 03:25 AM
muse9

Thanks so much for your help. I learn so much from everyone here! Much
more than I would ever learn from a book. Experience is always the best
teacher!

Bonnie

"Dr.Quilter" wrote in message
as far as I am concerned, there aren't many opposing opinions about

cotton,
poly, etc. I think almost everybody likes cotton better, maybe with a tad

of
poly, but most of us stay away from the awful all poly stuff. I do not
prewash, but I like the wrinkled look.... I buy Warm and Natural and Hobbs
but I've used other battings I liked better, too bad I have no idea what
their name was...

Old July 13th 04, 03:30 AM
muse9

Wow Patti! You must have good eyes! I have done some small doll clothes
sewing but it gets to my eyes after awhile! Will you have a picture to
show?

Bonnie

Old July 13th 04, 08:07 AM
Patti

Thanks Bonnie
I don't think it will get as far as a picture! It isn't very good - it
was just an experiment really. I was using the soluble paper-piecing
paper to see how good the dissolving was on such a tiny thing; and I
wanted to see how feasible it was for *me* to do such a real tiny. I
had in mind to do another two, but now I may not! It doesn't look as
good as I hoped. I have great difficulty with fabric pattern scale,
when doing my really small things. You know, it looks small - but turns
out not to be small enough!
..
In article , muse9
writes

Old July 13th 04, 03:40 PM
Sandy Foster

"Patti" wrote in message
That depends!
The one I am just finishing is one twelfth scale of a full size quilt.
One twelfth is the usual dolls house scale size. Mine is 7" x 9"
finished: 48 log cabin blocks with a half inch border. Each log is 0.2"
ggg.

Yes, I know I'm mad ... fun isn't it?!!

Omigosh! Pat, that sounds like an exercise in how to get a headache
quickly! g I'd love to see the finished mini!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1
Old July 13th 04, 06:32 PM
Patti

Ha!
It's a headache all right! but not in the sense you mean!
The scale of the fabric patterns is wrong; the soluble paper-piecing
paper didn't properly dissolve; I decided to sew it all together before
I took the papers off. I cut the little borders without realising that
the piece I cut them from (which had a straight edge on it) had been cut
on the cross! I even had to re-think my original quilting pattern, when
I realised the foot was obscuring the points I was going to aim for!!
All in all a chapter of accidents. However, since it was pretty
experimental, I'm glad I got all these out of the way in one go!!
I don't think it will merit a picture, unless I decide to put a little
section in about 'those that got away'!!!
..
In article ,
Sandy Foster writes

Old July 13th 04, 09:43 PM
Kim E

When I first started quilting, I used the polyester stuff. I didn't
realize that the batting was the reason that my backing shifted and
puckered.

After learning about it from this group, I tried Warm & Natural (now I
usually use Warm & White) and was hooked. I have never had a backing
shift and pucker since. It also feels so much nicer than the
polyester.

I buy it 10 yards at a time at JoAnn's when they have all battings 50%
off.

Kim

"muse9" wrote in message ...
I am finally making good progress on my very first quilt top! I am using a
9 patch pattern from an Alex Anderson beginner quilting book. The piecing
is going well; I'm learning a lot and loving it!!! In fact I find I have to
stay away from my sewing room unless I know I have the time to sew because
it seems to magnetically pull me in and keep me for hours at a time!

This pattern is for a 30x30 wall hanging but I am making it for a large doll
quilt/lap quilt for my DGD. As I get closer to finishing the piecing I know
I need to think about the batting I will use for this quilt. I've read so
many conflicting opinions on cotton versus poly or cotton and poly blends.
I'm sure this question has come up many time before but I am still fairly
new here and could really use some opinions.

Since this is a doll quilt for a child it will get somewhat rough usage and
will need to be washed occasionally. I read on the bag that cotton batting
will shrink - is this a big problem? I also read that if you use cotton
batting you have to quilt fairly close together and since I'm totally new at
this and don't have much faith in my quilting abilities this concerns me.
Does one batting hold up better than another? I will be machine quilting so
is one better than the other for that?

This small quilt is my first "training quilt". I got mentally hooked on
quilting several months ago and have been soaking up whatever information I
could on the subject. Some of the best information I've received has been
right here with all of you!

I would greatly appreciate any hints or help regarding batting! Thank you
all so much!

Bonnie

Wool Batting Question! Dannielle Quilting 11 July 10th 04 07:33 PM
Question on Silk Batting Threaded Quilting 4 July 6th 04 09:29 PM
size fo batting question Ann Quilting 2 April 14th 04 05:20 PM
Sturdiest batting CHARLES MURPHY Quilting 12 December 22nd 03 12:12 AM
Batting Question Sindir Quilting 4 November 22nd 03 04:36 AM