Directory form changes!

Old September 28th 04, 12:10 PM
AliceW

Default Directory form changes!

Hi, folks. Well, I am glad everyone is finding the form easy to use, or
easier to submit your info. Based on your comments, I have made several
changes to the form.

Changed the background of the info page to make it easier to read, and added
a "gentle" reminder to not use all caps.
I changed the requirements of the Yum and Yucky fields, so hopefully now you
can enter Jewel Tones with the space.
I changed the requirements of the name and address fields so it would accept
spaces or hyphenated names.
I changed the length of the State field. I didn't understand that our
friends not in the US used the State field.
I changed the requirements for the zip code field. It should take
hyphenated numbers now.

I used USA as the default in the Country field with no intended bias. This
way, the directory would show USA consistently rather than US or USA. Just
trying to make it easier for LN here and not meant to indicate any bias. I
did not expect everyone to use every address field. I thought folks would
enter the info into the fields appropriate for their location. If this is
not working, let me know.

If you find other fields that could be improved, please let me know. My
intent was to make it easy for anyone to use the form regardless of your
location, but I may not know all of the variations for this information. If
there are some international fields that could be added to make info entry
easier, please let me know.

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us

Old September 28th 04, 12:13 PM
Charlie

A "County" above postcode and below town would be helpful. It's equal to
"State" basically. We don't have abbreviations for our Counties here!

Charlie.

Old September 28th 04, 12:20 PM
AliceW

Ok, Charlie. But every state in the US also has counties, I live in
Burlington County in NJ. Is this field used instead of the state in a
particular area? I just want to make it clear that everyone in the USA does
not need to enter their county. Can you be more specific when this field
would be used?

--

"Charlie" wrote in message
: A "County" above postcode and below town would be helpful. It's equal to
: "State" basically. We don't have abbreviations for our Counties here!
:
: Charlie.
:
:
: "AliceW" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: --

Old September 28th 04, 12:25 PM
Charlie

The UK does not have States, we only have counties. They go in the same
place as your state would.
Charlie.

"Charlie" wrote in message
: A "County" above postcode and below town would be helpful. It's equal

: "State" basically. We don't have abbreviations for our Counties here!
:
: Charlie.
:
:
: ...

Old September 28th 04, 01:51 PM
MoragP

Based on your comments, I have made several
changes to the form.

Alice,
You're such a peach! : )
Morag in Detroit
Old September 28th 04, 02:42 PM
Kate Dicey

Charlie wrote:

A "County" above postcode and below town would be helpful. It's equal to
"State" basically. We don't have abbreviations for our Counties here!

Oh no? What about Herts and Salop and Lincs? It's just that they don't
always look like what they mean... What we don't have is official
letter abbreviations for counties like they do for states in the USA.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old September 28th 04, 02:49 PM
Kate Dicey

AliceW wrote:

Ok, Charlie. But every state in the US also has counties, I live in
Burlington County in NJ. Is this field used instead of the state in a
particular area? I just want to make it clear that everyone in the USA does
not need to enter their county. Can you be more specific when this field
would be used?

Have a look at what I put in the other thread... Oh, here you go! This
is a typical lay-out of an English address (they can be different in
Scotland and Wales, as they are different countries... Not different
states or counties, but whole nother countries!

Person name
House number and terrace name - sometimes this is just house number
Road/street and street
Village
Postal Town
County
Post code
Country

Old September 28th 04, 09:18 PM
hfw

Alice, is there any way we can go back and revise our entries to take
advantage of the changes you've made?

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

Old September 28th 04, 09:33 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"hfw" wrote:

Alice, is there any way we can go back and revise our entries to take
advantage of the changes you've made?

--Heidi

Heidi, you took the words right out of my mouth -- er...fingers? I
left out a couple of things because I didn't wait.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1
Old September 28th 04, 09:43 PM
Listpig

Well, you folks in the British Isles could use the Chapman codes that
genealogists use, but LN would have to check the list and re-expand them to
their full names, which might well be more work than wanted.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/Regions/Codes.html

OTOH, the other core problem with codes in a form in a particular order is
that as I understand it, if Alice has set up the form by US standards, it's
going to put the postal codes always in the same place, and properly
addressed mail in other countries doesn't necessarily put the postal code
where we would.

See http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Postal-code
Specifically, this paragraph:

Postal services using postal codes mostly use their own respective different
formats and placement for them. (Their service area is usually defined by
national borders.) In most English-speaking countries, the postal code goes
after the name of the city or town, whereas in most continental European
countries it goes before it and is often prefixed with a country code.

Convoluted, no? g

--pig

"Charlie" wrote in message
: A "County" above postcode and below town would be helpful. It's equal

: "State" basically. We don't have abbreviations for our Counties here!
:
: Charlie.
:
: