OT Food Allergy Help

Old January 30th 04, 03:29 AM
Julia Altshuler

Macrobiotic cookbooks will have recipes for baked goods that use tofu
instead of eggs to add richness and a crumb that's not too crumbly.
Tofu plus tumeric looks a little like a scrambled egg. If you need
specific recipes on tofu for egg substitution, let me know, and I'll
copy some out.

--Lia

Old January 30th 04, 03:49 AM
Shelly

GET that Epipen!!!!!!!! Like yesterday! It will save your child's life and
save you many years of unfortunate grief should you find you need it and
don't have one. If you've never seen your child with their face so swollen
that their eyes have shut and can't breathe in just a matter of minutes,
take it from one that has and just buy the pen. 90 bucks is cheap when you
compare it to a life, especially when it's your child's life.

We went on a family outing to a pond fishing one day. My oldest daughter was
7 and was playing around the pond. The kids were complaining every so often
about fireants biting them. No big deal right?? Wrong! In a matter of
minutes, my oldest daughter's face had swollen and she couldn't breathe. I
was 30 minutes either way from the nearest hospital. I flew down the road to
the hospital and I have to say, that was the longest ride of my life. Every
second that passed, I wondered if I was going to have to stop the car and do
CPR on my child until someone could get help. This was the first time this
had ever happened. We have always been prepared since that day. We keep the
Epipen's just in case. Better safe than sorry!

Shelly

"Christina in Ok" wrote in message
s.com...
Jan,
I am one who cannot eat eggs, but I don't brake out in hives, but swell

up,
for myself powered eggs are worse then true eggs.
As for cooking without eggs, Just don't add the egg into the mix, esp.
cakes or cookies, they will be find without.

Before it may or may not get better, esp. dealing with one so young, it

can
get worse so be sure to buy and know how to use a epi pen, They are high

at
around 90.00 a pop now. but I would say buy 3, one for the car, one for
home, and one when she goes to school.
"Jan Dunaway" wrote in message
nk.net...
As I mentioned earlier this week, I haven't gotten much sleep. The

reason
why is Jessica ate eggs Sunday night and by Monday morning was covered

in
hives. :-p She has always had food allergies and this probably explains
the hidden ingredient we've been looking for to eliminate. If anyone

has
experience in cooking/baking without eggs or good resources, and has the
time, could you please email me at dunawayjan at earthlink dot net Or of
course you could post them here if others are interested.

The good news is she most likely will out grow this in a few years, but

in
the mean time we won't be eating out much! :-) And we may end up with

an
epi pen since we live so far out. Still evaluating that need. Wish me
luck! Art and I should loose even more weight now!

--
Jan

http://home.earthlink.net/~dunawayjan

Old January 30th 04, 04:43 AM
Taria

Boy Jan, it sounds like you have a new job feeding your family!
I don't know much about food allergies but it seems there are
some options. Between all the folks on this group there are
experts on almost everything! Good luck with all the new
recipes. That there is an eggless chocolate cake is a very
hopefull thing.
Taria

Jan Dunaway wrote:
Thanks Lia! Unfortunately... if memory serves me... tofu is made out of
soy, which inhibits my husbands thryoid medicine from absorbing into the
bloodstream correctly so that isn't an option for us at the moment. I do
appreciate the offer! :-)

Old January 30th 04, 04:58 AM
Judy Grevenites

Here is my grandmother's Depression cake. It is made without eggs,
milk, or butter, a spicecake that is still yummy today.

In a saucepan, boil for 5 minutes
1 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of shortening
1/2 teasp salt
11/2 cups water
1/2 cup raisins
1 teasp of each=cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg.

let the ingredients stand until cool and then add 1 teasp. baking soda,
dissolved in 1 tablespoon of warm water. Stir in 2 cups of flour---pour
into baking pan and bake about 30 minutes at 375.

I like to put cream cheese frosting on it but grandma just used to make
a sort of paste of powdered sugar, margerine and a few drops of water
and pour it on while the cake was hot--it just melted down into it.
This was supposed to be a popular cake during WW1. RedQueen

Old January 30th 04, 05:21 AM
Natalie

One of the best substitutes for eggs I've ever used is applesauce. It makes
things (like cake, cookies, and pancakes!) fluffy! Make sure it's really
smooth though...

If I think of anything else I'll post it. One of the best types of
resources is vegan recipes.

Best,
NS

On 1/29/04 9:53 AM, in article
t, "Jan Dunaway"

Old January 30th 04, 12:44 PM
Kate Dicey

Polly Esther wrote:

Don't confess to a thing. This week, DH said the banana nut bread tasted
sooo good. I didn't tell him I forgot and put in the egg the recipe calls
for. I just bragged about how some bananas aren't ripe enough and some are
as tasteless as styrofoam and these were just right.
It really would help you a heap if you knew if it is the egg yolks or
the egg white or the whole @#$! thing that causes the reaction. Is there a
safe way to find out? Two egg whites instead of one whole egg will do fine
in almost everything. Scrambled egg whites with just a teensy dot of yellow
food coloring is pretty good. A big dollop of yellow food coloring will give
you something sort of Star Wars level - which just might be very funny to
your little one. Polly

And you don't have to stop at yellow! GREEN eggs and ham, for example,
or pretty pink eggs, or blue ones! Why DOES blue food always look
weird?

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old January 30th 04, 03:33 PM
Kathy Applebaum

Boy, eggs are a toughie. (That's my number one food allergy, among many
others.)

Ener-G Foods makes a decent egg substitute for baking.
(http://www.ener-g.com/store/detail.a...tes&id=97&cat=
8)
You're not going to make soufflés with it, but
you can use it for pancakes, cookies, cakes, etc.

I found cookbooks from WWII are also helpful about giving egg substitutes.
(Am I correct in thinking eggs might have been rationed?) Applesauce can
work wonders in cakes and cookies, and it will also replace some of the fat
without losing flavor. Yum!

Feel free to email with any questions -- I've got almost 20 years of
experience without eggs.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old January 30th 04, 06:17 PM
bogus address

It really would help you a heap if you knew if it is the egg yolks
or the egg white or the whole @#$! thing that causes the reaction.
Is there a safe way to find out?

No. Egg allergy in children is far too dangerous to experiment with.

======== Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce ========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.

Old January 30th 04, 06:21 PM
bogus address

Here is my grandmother's Depression cake. It is made without
eggs, milk, or butter, a spicecake that is still yummy today.

You will find some egg-free, wheat-free, dairy-free recipes on our
website. We often have chocolate polenta cake; it's every bit as
good as a recipe with all those missing ingredients, and people who
try it without knowing what it is don't notice there's anything
unusual about it. The only problem is it doesn't keep well, but
that tends not to be an issue...

Old January 30th 04, 06:59 PM
Kathy Applebaum

As I said, feel free to email any time.

I do understand about the overwhelmed thing -- I remember when I first got
my allergy results back. I had to throw away about half my pantry! (But the
food bank was sure pleased. *grin*) I had a lot of dinners that were just
grilled chicken and rice at first.

Just remember, it gets easier!!! (And look at the bright side -- at least
she can eat Cheerios. I can't even eat those!)

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps
http://www.kayneyquilting.com ,
remove the obvious to reply

"Jan Dunaway" wrote in message
ink.net...
I may email you
thru my learning curve here if you don't mind, but today, I think I have
just lost my mind. :-) Hopefully the QI's will find it! :-) Thank you
again!! :-)

--
Jan

http://home.earthlink.net/~dunawayjan

Mexican Food in New England meijhana Beads 7 August 15th 04 06:50 AM
Food safe glass info ?? WillMore Glass 2 May 12th 04 01:23 AM
no food by mail? JL Amerson Beads 84 January 30th 04 06:44 AM
Food beads revisited Jalynne Beads 22 September 8th 03 05:21 PM
hummingbird food/ liquuid recipe Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 30 August 27th 03 01:40 AM