Just being nosy.

Old September 21st 04, 08:03 PM
NightMist

On 20 Sep 2004 22:06:44 GMT, (MoragP) wrote:

What was the easiest quilt/block you ever made?

Log cabin. Or maybe roman stripes, or maybe courthouse steps. Those
are all really easy.

Which was the most difficult?

Whichever one I am figuring out how to do at the minute.

Which was the most fun?

All of them, even the hard ones.
There is something satisfying about a pattern you can do in bouts of
chaining. I still remember doing a broken star like that one time,
chaining all the strips and then sewing all the diamonds together and
etc. I was sort of in a zen state and darn near did the whole top in
one sitting. Good thing I stopped to press and had set the ironing
board several feet away, or I would have been really stiff when I was
done.

Have you made one for yourself?

All of them are for me, even if they are for somebody else.

What's the dumbest mistake you ever made in quilting?

I make it a policy to make at least one incredibly stupid mistake per
quilt. Therefore it is difficult to say exactly which one was the
dumbest.
There was the time I forgot to include the seam allowance on my
templates and went from boggleing over how much less fabric it took
than expected to boggleing over how much smaller the thing came out
than expected.
I have forgotten to carry the 1 when doing my math soooo many times
now.
The wrong thread has appeared on my machine more than once, the wrong
bobbin much more than twice.
Sticking the non-washable marker into the package with the washable
ones is a recent mistake.
Cutting single sided fabric backwards is probably my most frequent
stupid mistake. Mostly with obtuse triangles and non-isosceles right
triangles. I have sworn off top printed fabric so many times now!

NightMist
--
"It's such a gamble when you get a face"
- Richard Hell
Old September 22nd 04, 12:29 AM
nzl*

floating 4 patch!!!
hey, i cant find that one either, hmmm.
i love the slashed 9 patch.
oh oh, doh, silly me, it is the floating 4 patch. it starts life as a 9
patch, bi-sected thru the centre, both ways, then rotate 2 of the opposite
resulting units (4 of them, hence 4-patch)(each 4patch unit is also a 4
patch with a large and small sq in opposite corners and two rectangles in
the other two corners).

'the fabric of our lives' is fantastic. i'll bet you totally impressed all
those in uni with it. eeeeeeeeek, and the back is as lovely as the front is,
amazing job, well done!!
the applique on the peach rose is beautiful. is that your own design?
hey, thats gotta be the first millenium quilt i've ever seen that was
finished before 2000, lol. what a clever gal.
jeanne
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Diana Curtis" wrote...
Nann, Im at your site, beautiful quilts abound, but which is the floating
nine patch?
Thanks,
Diana
--
Heart and soul can make up for technical lacking in any form of art, but let
the heart be lacking and all the perfection means nothing.

"nbhilyard" wrote...
Great questions!
What was the easiest quilt/block you ever made?

3" squares pieced together at random.

or Floating Four-Patch (Photo on my webshots site:
http://community.webshots.com/user/nbhilyard)

snipped
Nann

Old September 22nd 04, 01:24 AM
Boca Jan

What was the easiest quilt/block you ever made?
4 patch

Which was the most difficult?

Lonestar

Which was the most fun?

Whatever I am working on

Have you made one for yourself?

I am in the process of hand quilting it now.

What's the dumbest mistake you ever made in quilting?

My first quilt - I didn't know what I was doing and thought I could take big
squares (16") and put the batting and backing on each square, then sew them
together. The pattern was something I made up. It was horrible! I had no
idea how to put the squares together, so I just sewed them together, cut the
batting to seam line, top stitched the top to make the seam lay down, then
put another layer of backing on it, Tied it and used that silky blanket
binding stuff. EWWWWWWWW. The thing was so wonky and uneven I was going to
toss it, but my son loved it (I think because Mom made it). It is a
disaster, but he keeps it as a spare blanket because it is so thick. Live
and learn I say. After 10 years, I am making him another quilt, this time
much more professional looking I hope!.

Boca Jan

Old September 22nd 04, 03:06 AM
georg

nana2b wrote:

Hi Georg, Diet Coke should wash out OK because there is no sugar in it.
Fingers crossed for you. LInda

I hope so! If all else fails, I can soak in H2O2 and leave it in the sun.

-georg

Old September 22nd 04, 03:17 AM
nbhilyard

Oops!
I had it at the FFP swap site. I've just put it in the Webshots album.
It's a wonderful block, and turns out so well in batiks that the swappers
did it for a second time this summer.

http://community.webshots.com/user/nbhilyard
is my site

http://quilting-arts-forum.com/bom6_4.html
is the pattern for the block

Nann

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Nann, Im at your site, beautiful quilts abound, but which is the floating
nine patch?
Thanks,
Diana

--
Heart and soul can make up for technical lacking in any form of art, but

let
the heart be lacking and all the perfection means nothing.
"nbhilyard" wrote in message
Great questions!
What was the easiest quilt/block you ever made?

3" squares pieced together at random.
or Floating Four-Patch (Photo on my webshots site:
http://community.webshots.com/user/nbhilyard)

Which was the most difficult?

Hmm. I made a Storm at Sea back when I was first learning to quilt. I
didn't know it was supposed to be hard; I didn't know about bias edges

or
peaky triangles...and it turned out just fine.

More recently difficult was setting the quilt I coordinated for my

college
fraternity centennial. I didn't make any of the blocks but I had to put
together the 100+ blocks I received, knowing that this quilt will be on
display at headquarters. (Photos on Webshots.)

Which was the most fun?

Slashed 9-Patch. I grabbed a stack of 9-patch blocks from a swap, cut

'em
in quarters, and put 'em together.

Have you made one for yourself?

Sure. Most recently: Peach Rose. (Note to self: call the PLAQ to

find
out when she'll have it finished.)

What's the dumbest mistake you ever made in quilting?

One of my very, very first quilts (in 1995) was "Road to St. Louis,"

which
alternates 16-patch with hourglass blocks. I cut the quarter-square
triangles for the hourglasses all 1/4" too small and couldn't figure out
why. Helpful RCTQers came to my rescue. I used the mis-cut blocks in
another quilt and felt very smug about reusing them.

Nann

Old September 22nd 04, 01:02 PM
Diana Curtis

Oooh.. thats fun looking one. Thanks!
Diana

--
"nbhilyard" wrote in message
Oops!
I had it at the FFP swap site. I've just put it in the Webshots album.
It's a wonderful block, and turns out so well in batiks that the swappers
did it for a second time this summer.

http://community.webshots.com/user/nbhilyard
is my site

http://quilting-arts-forum.com/bom6_4.html
is the pattern for the block

Nann

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Nann, Im at your site, beautiful quilts abound, but which is the

floating
nine patch?
Thanks,
Diana

--
Heart and soul can make up for technical lacking in any form of art, but

let
the heart be lacking and all the perfection means nothing.
Great questions!

Old September 22nd 04, 01:48 PM
David & Barbara Schmidt

WOW! I love it! It's really bright, and you know how I love brights. I
have bunches of brights that were sent to me as squishies during the
surgery ordeal and I was wondering what I was going to do with them.
This gives me a perfect easy idea!

I bookmarked the pattern and will check out the forum too. Thanks!

Babs

nbhilyard wrote:
Oops!
I had it at the FFP swap site. I've just put it in the Webshots album.
It's a wonderful block, and turns out so well in batiks that the swappers
did it for a second time this summer.

http://community.webshots.com/user/nbhilyard
is my site

http://quilting-arts-forum.com/bom6_4.html
is the pattern for the block

Nann

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message

Nann, Im at your site, beautiful quilts abound, but which is the floating
nine patch?
Thanks,
Diana

--
Heart and soul can make up for technical lacking in any form of art, but

let

the heart be lacking and all the perfection means nothing.

Great questions!

Old September 22nd 04, 02:25 PM
NanaV

The easiest was two rectangles into a square (I have no idea what that is
called).

The most difficult was a compass (don't you love curved seams?).

The most fun was an animal print four-patch for my grand-baby (just the
anticipation was wonderful).

I have made two large ones for my bed. DH was very proud to sleep under
them.

The dumbest thing I ever did was sew two pieces together with the right side
of one to the wrong side of the other. While that is no big mistake (since
most of us have probably done that at least once), the biggy was I did it on
several squares and even stopped to refill the bobbin once during it (I was
really humming).

Nana

MoragP wrote:
What was the easiest quilt/block you ever made?

Which was the most difficult?

Which was the most fun?

Have you made one for yourself?

What's the dumbest mistake you ever made in quilting?

Morag in Detroit

Old October 10th 04, 09:10 PM
ME-Judy

BOY! Get busy at work for a couple of weeks (3 or 4 - with a store move)
Then Company (loved having SIL out and now DD's here!) Didn't have time to
read messages - now I've got 3000 + to read!

What was the easiest quilt/block you ever made?

Friendship Star
Which was the most difficult?

aQuilt as you go Log Cabin - made years ago! I didn't have enough common
sense to properly mark the center G and all my blocks were off!

Which was the most fun?

Any Stack'n'Whack (because every block turns out just a little different!)

Have you made one for yourself?

Yes. A Queen Size scrap Log Cabin (cut 2 2" strips of every blue, green &
brown fabric in my stash. Put darks in one bag and lights in the other.
Sewed all the blocks in an assembly line style . Started with the center
square and just grabbed a strip out of a bag. After trimming the used
strips, the "leftover" length went into another "dark" or "light" bag to
await the next round. I had to use whatever I pulled out of the bag EXCEPT
in the instance that that particular fabric had already been used in that
square.

What's the dumbest mistake you ever made in quilting?

Taking so doggone long to figure out how to get an accurate 1/4" seam!!!!

Best hint from the group?
LOADS OF 'EM!!!! But the "galloping horse" rule is my favorite. And I'm
still indebted to whoever suggested "Press'N'Seal"

ME-Judy