To wash or not to wash

Old September 15th 03, 03:47 AM
Kim E

I wash everything.

I have a lot of allergies, so I wash it all in hypoallergenic laundry
detergent. Otherwise, I get a rash and itchy hands when I handle the
unwashed fabric (I react to the sizing).

Yes, I wash fabric intended for Stack&Whack too. I just use lots of
spray starch.

Kim
http://photos.yahoo.com/keskelund

"Nada" wrote in message u...
Help! I'm a little confused. I've heard people say they pre wash their
fabrics and others say they don't bother. I know it's probably best to
because of shrinkage and dye running, but do you really have to wash
everything i.e. scraps, squares, etc. or is it just large pieces?

Thanks in advance
Nada
(Melbourne, Australia)

Old September 15th 03, 07:05 AM
Lynn Tocker

Hi all,
I've seen many references to 'Stack and Whack' fabrics, - is it a brand
name, what are they?
Duhhh Lynn.

om...

Old September 15th 03, 12:02 PM
AliceW

Lynn, Stack and Whack is a technique where layers of fabric are stacked and
whacked (cut). The key is that all the fabric layers are identical, so when
you whack the fabric you get pieces that are identical. This allows you to
lay them out in a kaleidoscopic pattern. Depending on the pattern of the
fabric, you can get some pretty interesting results. I found a link that can
certainly explain it better than my feeble attempt.

http://www.bobrow.net/kimberly/Quilts/StackNWhack/
--
Alice in NJ
www.ourcyberfamily.us

Old September 15th 03, 12:57 PM
Kate Dicey

"Kim E" wrote in message
om...
I wash everything.

I have a lot of allergies, so I wash it all in hypoallergenic laundry
detergent. Otherwise, I get a rash and itchy hands when I handle the
unwashed fabric (I react to the sizing).

Yes, I wash fabric intended for Stack&Whack too. I just use lots of
spray starch.

Kim
http://photos.yahoo.com/keskelund

No, it's a method. You can use any pattern, but bigger patterns work
better.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old September 15th 03, 09:22 PM
TerriLee in WA

MerryStahel wrote:

Soemtimes I wash the fabric, sometimes I don't.

I tend to wash all blacks, reds, purples and blues, just on general principle
G. If anything will bleed all over another fabric, they are usually the
culprits.

May I respectfully add teal green to this list? Every fabric I've ever
had that was teal green bled like mad through 3 or 4 washings!!!!!

[gentle trimming]

--
TerriLee Bishop
(opinions are wholly owned by the author and don't represent anything)
Old September 16th 03, 01:45 AM
Lynn Tocker

Thanks Alice, It looks like lots of fun, as long as one is accurate with
the cutting. I'm going to search the Library on line, see whether they have
something I could hold onto for a few weeks. What a dork thinking that Stack
and Whack was a brand name :-( Blimey Lynn

Old September 16th 03, 02:18 AM
AliceW

Lynn, it actually is a brand name - just ask Bethany! She's the one that
wrote the books. It is fun. It's amazing the blocks you get from a busy
piece of fabric! I've got one in the works. It's a UFO from the SnW class
I took. One of these days................

Old September 17th 03, 01:14 PM
Nada

Well, it really does sound like I opened up a can of worms and by most of
the responses, it sounds like I will need to spend about a week in the
laundry washing fabric. I guess it's probably better to be safe than sorry.

And to your question Louise, yes I guess I am new to this group. I did post
a couple of things a long time ago but this is the first time in ages. I
really do enjoy reading the postings, so will have to get on the computer
more often. As I am fairly new to patchwork / quilting, I think I will find
it very helpful. Seems like it is full of interesting stuff.

One last thing - I remember ages ago when I was looking at the group, there
was a lady who posted a listing of all the abbreviations that you lot use.
I've been able to work some of them out, but if I could get hold of the
complete list, that would be great.

Bye for now
Nada

The Nielands wrote in message
Nada, You'll probably still be confused after you see the answers from the
group! Prewashing is one of those subject that everybody has an opinion

on.

Personally, I wash everything as soon as I bring it home from the store.
I've always done that, but it was primarily to ensure all the fabric was
preshrunk. A few years ago I had a good lesson that gave me a new way to
look at things, though. I bought some beautiful wine-colored fabric and
threw it in the wash with some other fabric I had bought for the same

quilt,
one of which was a light blue (like I said, I was thinking more in terms

of
shrinkage than bleeding, otherwise I never would have put them in

together).
Well, when I pulled them from the machine, my light blue was a

not-so-pretty
pinkish purple. I shudder to think what my quilt would have looked like

had
I used the fabric and then eventually washed the final product! I washed
that fabric at least five more times (even tried putting vinegar in the
water and letting it soak), and it STILL bled. If I hadn't prewashed, I
wouldn't have known!

You'll likely get lots of other opinions on the subject -- some prefer to
allow the shrinkage to occur after the quilt is finished because they like
the effect they get. Others use dye magnets to ensure that any additional
dyes don't transfer to other fabrics in the quilts. Bottom line is: There
are no Quilt Police, so there are no rules. You can take the collective
thoughts you get from the people on this group and decide what will work
best for YOU.

And, I apologize if I missed a previous post, but are you new here? If you
are, welcome -- I'm glad to meet you! If not, belated welcome -- and I'm
still glad to meet you!

Louise in Iowa

Old September 17th 03, 04:02 PM
The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

So far we've mentioned running and shrinkage, but I wonder about
twisting?

When you buy your fabric, the ends are cut nice and even- assuming they
are not ripped. BUT after you wash the fabric and re-fold it for rotary
cutting with the selvages matched up, you will see that the ends are
anywhere from 1/2 in. to almost 4 in. from matching. Now, if you were
to cut your strips from the un-washed fabric and it was off this much
after washing, would that make your quilt get all twisted after you
washed it? The fabric "relaxes" in the washing process from the way it
was "forced" onto the bolt when in the manufacturing process...... I can
see where this could make a difference..... especially in long border
pieces.

Anybody have a different take on this theory?

Leslie

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me- My dogs aren't my whole life... they make my
life whole.

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

Old September 19th 03, 07:36 PM
Pat in Virginia

Good point Leslie. I agree on this. I want to add that when one
folds fabric prior to cutting, it is best to match the selvages
and hold up the fabric to be sure it hangs straight. If it seems
to pull or drape one way or the other, just slide the selvages
left or right until it is corrected. *This may result in the cut
edges being uneven.* That is OK! YES, you will 'lose' some
yardage, but your strips/shapes/borders will be true. This is
just one reason why one should buy extra, never buy the exact
amount you 'need.' Sheesh, we don't really need an excuse, but
here it is! JMO ...
PAT in VA/USA

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me wrote:

So far we've mentioned running and shrinkage, but I wonder about
twisting?

When you buy your fabric, the ends are cut nice and even- assuming they
are not ripped. BUT after you wash the fabric and re-fold it for rotary
cutting with the selvages matched up, you will see that the ends are
anywhere from 1/2 in. to almost 4 in. from matching. Now, if you were
to cut your strips from the un-washed fabric and it was off this much
after washing, would that make your quilt get all twisted after you
washed it? The fabric "relaxes" in the washing process from the way it
was "forced" onto the bolt when in the manufacturing process...... I can
see where this could make a difference..... especially in long border
pieces.

How do you wash swarovski's? Candace Beads 22 May 30th 04 11:33 PM
Kiln Wash Lindsay MacArthur Pottery 2 November 19th 03 09:01 PM
wash or rinse? Tea Chapter Needlework 7 July 31st 03 10:59 PM
kiln wash question psci_kw Pottery 1 July 26th 03 11:51 PM
Kiln Wash L.Mac Pottery 3 July 23rd 03 10:31 PM