Houston 2006-2

Old November 13th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
shhdesigns

Default Houston 2006-2

Before leaving Corpus Christi we had breakfast at the City Diner. Good
food, they have old high school pictures of various Corpus Christi alum.
Farah Fawcett had two photos hanging over the entrance.

As we headed down south along SR 77 we saw mile and miles of flat land with
scrub trees along the highway. Every now and then there was a cross over so
you could head back north, but this area does not have a lot of towns.

We did double back to check out one antique shop. She had a great 1950's
chrome kitchen set for $US 750.00! Would not be able to pack it in my
suitcase to get it home, and don't have enough space in my kitchen to put
it.

We arrived in Brownsville the most southern point of the continental U.S.
We found a hotel and then drove into the downtown area. There were lots of
Mexicans on the streets, and some interesting buildings. We saw the two
border crossings with Mexico but chose not to cross over.

We then drove up to Port Isabel and onto South Padre Island. There is a
very long bridge that has Pelican warning lights about every 100 yards or
so. If they flash you are to stop your car immediately! Fortunately this
didn't happen while we were crossing.

We drove along the strip of the island and went along one of the beach
accesses and collected some seashells washed up on the shore. There was a
sand fence along the shore, took a few sunset pictures that should be
pretty.

We drove back to Brownsville planning on returning to South Padre Island
before heading back north tomorrow.

The next day was very windy on the island, we saw a few surfers with
parachutes catching the waves. We drove to the end of the pavement and
tried to walk along the beach, but it was way too breezy. We went back and
had shared a shrimp and chips lunch at Dirty Al's; Dirty Dave's bar didn't
open up until afternoon cocktails.

We left the island and headed over to Los Fresnos before heading back up SR
77 north. We stopped at the border inspection, but when they saw our blue
eyes, they didn't even stop and talk with us.

In Harlingen, we found Picket Fence Quilt and Fabric Shop
www.picketfencequilt.com They have a cute mural painted on the outside of
their shop. When they found out we were visiting from Canada they gave mom
and I each a mini pincushion and logo mug from the shop. She then started to
give me info on two other shops in the area, and then realized that they
were closed and had gone up for Festival! Nice shop with very nice people.
SR 77 business route is called Sunshine Strip.

Farther along we stopped and tasted some local oranges and grapefruits.
While purchasing them a guy started chatting with mom, turns out he is East
Indian and lives in Surrey [about 15 minutes from New Westminster]. He
works in Texas, hoping to move back home permanently.

Back in Corpus Christi, we found the bridge to go over to Mustang Island.
Down below we saw Doc's, a seafood restaurant. They had a huge deck that
was covered and had screening on it so you could enjoy the sunset without
having to wear your sunglasses. You could also enjoy watching the various
sea birds diving for their dinners.

It was a sunny warm day that got up to 84F today. [I'm driving a GM Pontiac
G7 2007 model that tells you the temperature on the display.]

We spent the night in Corpus Christi and then drove back over the bridge
onto Mustang Island and stopped in at Tourist Info. She recommended a few
antique shops and was excited to hear that we were heading up to the IQF,
she usually goes but not this year.

We took the Port Aransas free ferry to Aransas and drove up through Rockport
and then onto Tivoli. We saw the old Fulton Mansion on the water, there
were some brown Pelicans sunning themselves on a pier across from the
mansion.

In Victoria we found Opera House Antiques, I found a turquoise syrup
dispenser for $5.00 to add to my collection. We then went back to Fossati's
for lunch. They greeted us like old friends. After we went looking for
Blue Moon Antique Mall, one of the largest in the area. They had several
old quilts, but not the one I was looking for. I did see the same syrup
dispenser for $10.00!

Around the corner we found Laurent Street Antique Mall, found two small
square yellow Pyrex dishes that match a larger dish I have.

They also had several nice quilts, one that caught my eye looks like a
triple Irish chain that was appliquéd onto the back rather that pieced. It
didn't have a price on it, and has some wear to it. The lady in the shop
left a message for the booth owner to see if she would call back.

Meanwhile I found a fan quilt with an "as is" sign on it for $35.00, it also
has a small amount of wear, but called my name. The blocks are appliquéd
onto muslin, 7 x 9 blocks about 8" square with no borders 58" x 74". It has
polka dots, prints, and plaids and is a fun quilt. The binding comes from
the back.

The owner of the yellow quilt phone and offered it for $60.00, I decided to
take it also. It is 74" x 84", has yellow borders, backing and is bound
with yellow fabric. It has many brightly coloured blocks that appear to be
both hand and machine stitched.

We were the only people in the shop, and were chatting with them about their
buying trips; they have made some trips up to the Canadian Maritimes. They
enjoy cruising and mom was having a great time speaking with them. When it
came time to pay the bill, she gave me 10% off on my smaller quilts and mom
treated me to the two dishes. I got both quilts for just under $US 100.00!

Back on the road again along SR 87 through Cureo, with a wonderful historic
downtown and some lovely old homes. We drove through Nixon celebrating its
100th birthday. At Stockdale we headed north up SR 123 to San Marco. We
got a room for the night and had a nice dinner at Mamacita's. We had one of
their chicken fajita tacos. Just right for our appetites.

The next morning we woke up to cloudy skies and a few sprinkles and checked
out the outlet malls in San Marco. Mom found a cute aqua sleeveless cotton
top, and I found a yellow long sleeved cotton top.

We wound our way along some rural routes first SR 80 [Texas Independence
Trail] wherein Staples I found some snowflake stamps and mailed a parcel off
to a friend. I did find some Gee's Bend Quilt stamps in Waelder; I saw
those quilts while in Houston the last time. In Flatonia we stopped and
checked out several Antique shops.

At Schulenburg we went back along SR 77 [Texas Tropical Trail.] At
Hallettsville we caught SR 90 and wondered along until we came to Sugar Land
where we spent the night. There were several small towns along the way with
rolling ranches and farmland.

Tomorrow, onto Houston and the International Quilt Festival!

--
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.
Queen of the Travelogues

Old November 13th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

Well gosh! I just asked a few minutes ago for part 2, and here it was!
Yay! Waiting for part 3....
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education

Old November 14th 06, 02:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.

Okay -- I"m an uneducated Yankee.... why are you to stop when the Pelican Warning lights are
flashing?

What are you being warned of?

Kate in MI

Old November 14th 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
shhdesigns

Low flying Pelicans over the bridge, sort of like a warning system for not
hitting deer. I guess they must do a lot of damage.
Sandi
. ..

Old November 14th 06, 05:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

How fun, Sandi!

I knew you'd like the drive down to The Valley; Corpus is a pretty area,
Padre Island, both the main island and South Padre, are worth exploring.
Port Isabel is a sparkling little jewel this side of the causeway.
It was just 6 yrs ago that the causeway was hit by a barge, causing
serious damage to the bridge, killing several motorists, closing traffic
to South Padre for months (I was there during that time, saw the gaping
hole in the bridge--very creepy, eerie to see it).
Los Fresnos (The Ashes, used to have fields of ash trees there) is
one big citrus grove. Pretty place, too.
There's very little between Kingsville (just outside of Corpus) and
Raymondville (where palm trees line the roadd) as you pass thru'
the King Ranch; they owned everything along that route so no one could
build towns there. g There are a few little bitty hole-in-the-road
stops, way off the highway. You were traveling down there w/ the
Winter Texans so you had plenty of northern company. ;-)
(You passed thru' San Benito on the way to Brownsville; my Illinois
ancestors moved down there 90 yrs. ago, used to take groups of yankees
thru' the area to sell them land; back then that Hwy 77 was a dirt track
running alongside the railroad tracks; I lived there for too long as a kid.)
The butterflies you saw are on their annual trek to Mexico; they sweep
thru' here and down that corridor by the millions, as do the hummingbirds.

Congrats on scoring the quilts, and all the other prizes in the shops.
Have you been to Old Town Spring just outside of Houston along I-45?
Next trip be sure to save a day or 2 for that.

Looking forward to more of your travel journal. Delightful reading.
Thanks, Sandi.
Howdy to your mom.

Ragmop/Sandy --traveling memory lane ;-)

Old November 14th 06, 06:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Default O.T. Pelicans on the Queen Isabella Causeway Houston 2006-2

Howdy!

from: http://tinyurl.com/ybvm3c

Project Name: South Padre Island Brown Pelican Flashing Light Beacons
(click for detail)
State: TX
Species: Eastern brown pelican, peregrine falcon, common loon
Site Overview:
The 3.6 km (2.4 mile) Queen Isabella Causeway connects Port Isabel and South
Padre Island, Texas and intersects an area of pelican activity. After severe
declines in the eastern brown pelican population, these birds were listed as
an endangered species in 1971. Since 1977, pelicans have been steadily
increasing. Pelican/vehicle collisions have been reported since 1984, and
increasing mortality prompted a 1988-1990 study on pelican behavior along
the causeway. The study revealed that the birds did not intentionally land
or roost on the bridge, but were forced into contact with it by strong
seasonal winds and associated turbulence. Researchers concluded that traffic
control methods would be the most effective in reducing pelican mortality.
Roadside flashing beacons systems, electronic message boards and ³pelican
patrols² were used to induce motorists to slow down in the pelican flight
zones.

~~~~~
Ragmop/Sandy

On 11/13/06 8:07 PM, in article
, "Kate G."

Old November 14th 06, 07:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
shhdesigns

Thanks Sandy,

Sorry we didn't catch up with you, but thanks for the private suggestions
for travel.

Unfortunately I didn't understand about Old Spring, just was told there was
a shop that had some fabric and there were some antique shops in the area.
Next time it will be a definite to see.

We did do the business loop of 77 several times, otherwise there would not
have been much to see other than miles and miles of a great 2 lane highway.

Didn't see any hummingbirds, thanks for the info about the butterflies, at
one point mom was comparing them to a scene from "The Birds".

Thanks,
Sandi

Houston 2006 shhdesigns Quilting 4 November 14th 06 12:01 AM
reminder - Holiday luncheon 2006 Ceridwen Quilting 0 October 18th 06 06:34 PM
Longest Thread so far in 2006 ~KK in BC~ Quilting 7 September 8th 06 04:53 PM
Houston IQF November 2006 Elizabeth in Boca Quilting 8 May 1st 06 02:57 PM
Houston, Houston, Houston Teresa in Colorado Quilting 17 November 10th 04 01:42 PM