Silver back foil

Old February 2nd 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default Silver back foil

has anyone had a problem getting the silver back foil to stick to the
glass, in the past I have had problems with staying stuck, I have had it
come off the edges of suncatcher's

Old February 3rd 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Some years ago Venture Tape produced foil that lacked enough adhesive but
they rectified that problem I believe. I prefer the other foil (it doesn't
seem to have a brand name just says made in USA), it is not as stiff as
Venture.

If the edges are lifting during soldering then your iron might be to hot.
Push the foil back down with the iron. Also look at how heavy your
suncatcher is. You may need to use wire for reinforcement internally or
externally.
Good Luck,
--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio

Old February 4th 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"racing John" wrote in message
has anyone had a problem getting the silver back foil to stick to the
glass, in the past I have had problems with staying stuck, I have had it
come off the edges of suncatcher's

Old foil doesn't stick well, especially the narrower stuff. I'm assuming
your edges are ground, and clean and bone dry, and no greasy fingers? I have
a customer that swears by slighty heating up his foil on a hot plate. I
haven't tried itm but he swears by it.

--
"Don't get me wrong... I'm SNARKY"
JK Sinrod

Old February 4th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

i haven't had any problem with older stuff as long as it was closed. I only
use Edco. I have a friend who keeps her foil in an empty paint can from
hardware store. Says it's a perfect fit and air tight. m

pure silver jewellery boomkap Jewelry 0 January 9th 05 01:49 AM
Experimenting with GOLD and SILVER Dennis Bicknell Jewelry 0 August 24th 04 04:44 AM
Tarnishing Sterling Silver Charlie Jewelry 12 February 14th 04 03:23 AM
Sterling silver question (.925) porkchops Jewelry 7 January 24th 04 06:58 PM