House Update, OT/CP

Old April 2nd 05, 05:02 PM

Kim wrote:

I've picked the countertops - Corian "Sahara" - in fact, that's the only
thing I've really picked as far as the kitchen goes. I'm wavering on the
cabinet finish between a Honey Maple and a Golden Oak. And I have no idea
about all those tilt outs and pop outs and lazy Susan's and drawer inserts.
Just too many things to decide.

I'd pick the Honey Maple -- all my sources told me at the time that oak
presented a very dated impression. Of course, I didn't want oak anyway.
I ended up getting a honey-finish hickory, which suits me fine -- it
has a variation in color that some people don't like, but my dad planted
a lot of hickory trees around the perimeter of our yard in the house I
grew up in so it makes me feel like home.

As far as the rest, I know some people hate Home Depot, but I got a lot
of help from their design person, whom I was told was one of the best in
my area, and I am totally happy with my cabinets. And the nice thing
about the hickory finish is that since the wood has variation in color
anyway, if I decided to change the panels in front of the sink to
pull-outs there is no way to tell that I did it at a different time.
Old April 2nd 05, 05:04 PM

Doreen wrote:

What I'd like most if we were to redo our kitchen, which will never
happen, would be a counter-height cabinet, with doors, for the mixer and
blender and processor. Right now they're in a lower cabinet, and I
always dread getting them out and putting them away.

You mean like an appliance garage?

For our heavy appliances I have a cabinet with a pull-out bottom shelf,
and I don't use a top shelf in that cabinet and everything comes out and
goes back in so very nicely because the drawer pulls out.
Old April 2nd 05, 06:07 PM
Doreen

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:

Doreen wrote:

What I'd like most if we were to redo our kitchen, which will never
happen, would be a counter-height cabinet, with doors, for the mixer
and blender and processor. Right now they're in a lower cabinet, and
I always dread getting them out and putting them away.

You mean like an appliance garage?

For our heavy appliances I have a cabinet with a pull-out bottom shelf,
and I don't use a top shelf in that cabinet and everything comes out and
goes back in so very nicely because the drawer pulls out.

Oh, exactly! 'Appliance garage' is a neat name, too!

Doreen

Old April 2nd 05, 08:16 PM
BEI Design

Doreen wrote:

What I'd like most if we were to redo our kitchen, which will
never happen, would be a counter-height cabinet, with doors, for the
mixer and blender and processor. Right now they're in a lower
cabinet, and I always dread getting them out and putting them away.

I worked with a professional cabinet-maker-kitchen-designer when I
gutted my kitchen two summers ago. One of the things I insisted on
was a pull-out mixer stand. It hides in a base cabinet until needed,
then pulls out and up and locks in position at working height. I had
DSIL wire a new outlet in the wall behind where that cabinet was going
to be, so its plugged in and ready to go all the time. Like this:
http://www.woodworks.bravepages.com/mixerlift.html
I love it!

--
Beverly
delete nospam and .invalid to reply

Old April 2nd 05, 08:19 PM
Elizabeth Young

Kim wrote:
I'm *so* wishing I had just saved the kitchen to do *after* we
moved in - I probably would have a much better idea of what I want. I know I
want an island in the center - the kitchen is really huge and would lend
itself well to an island - but then, when I go to look at them there are
just so many choices!

In our new house (a rather expensive antidote to remodeling a 12 x 12 30
year old kitchen) there is an island. I would suggest a small sink
(veggie) *with a disposal* on the island. Get a pull-out breadboard -
will save your counters from crumbs, jam blobs, and inadvertent knife
scratches. Lot of electric outlets - on each side of the island if you can.
I am still trying to figure out where to put all our kitchen stuff in
the new house. Not a lack of space, too many choices.
I put the dishes, silverware, and glasses on the opposite side of the
island from the dishwasher. It is working OK. My motivation was to avoid
being trampled by the table-setting teenage boy while I was trying to
finish up dinner. We set the table more often then we empty the dishwasher.

liz young in sunny california
Old April 2nd 05, 08:30 PM
Doreen

BEI Design wrote:

I worked with a professional cabinet-maker-kitchen-designer when I
gutted my kitchen two summers ago. One of the things I insisted on
was a pull-out mixer stand. It hides in a base cabinet until needed,
then pulls out and up and locks in position at working height. I had
DSIL wire a new outlet in the wall behind where that cabinet was going
to be, so its plugged in and ready to go all the time. Like this:
http://www.woodworks.bravepages.com/mixerlift.html
I love it!

What a wonderful idea! I can see why you love it.

Doreen in Alabama

Old April 2nd 05, 08:48 PM
Jean D Mahavier

"BEI Design" wrote in message
Doreen wrote:

What I'd like most if we were to redo our kitchen, which will
never happen, would be a counter-height cabinet, with doors, for the
mixer and blender and processor. Right now they're in a lower
cabinet, and I always dread getting them out and putting them away.

I succumbed to leaving the mixer out; takes up a lot of space, but it's
there and ready.

Two great additions to our small kitchen were a butcherblock island (can
be moved about, isn't built there) and a second sink! With two cooks
we needed two sinks. DH and I were forever bumping into each other at
the original one. We had some unused wall space and a stupid broom
closet. I designed cabinets with a large single sink with a tall faucet.
Oh
boy! A 3' pan rack is bolted to the wall over the sink so that wall space
is well used.

Jean M.

Old April 2nd 05, 08:58 PM
Angrie.Woman

"Elizabeth Young" wrote in message
Kim wrote:
I'm *so* wishing I had just saved the kitchen to do *after* we
moved in - I probably would have a much better idea of what I want. I
know I
want an island in the center - the kitchen is really huge and would lend
itself well to an island - but then, when I go to look at them there are
just so many choices!

In our new house (a rather expensive antidote to remodeling a 12 x 12 30
year old kitchen) there is an island. I would suggest a small sink
(veggie) *with a disposal* on the island.

Not in the middle though. Off to the side.

Old April 2nd 05, 10:01 PM
Kim

She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston Guild wrote:
In article , Kim of uttered
And since I had three boys - well, I never had a girl to teach.

Shame on you! I learnt to sew and knit from my Dad - he had 4 brothers
and they all could.

Oh - they can all sew, and one can even cross stitch a little. It's just
that after they learned to "mend"- they were never really interested in
"creating". The girls are much more into "making" things than my boys were.

I made sure all three of my boys could cook some basic meals - knew how to
do basic things like sew on a button or mend a tear, shop for price and
value not just "I want", balance a checkbook, write a resume, and all of
them can do their own laundry. This made them all leaps and bounds ahead of
my husband, who, although he can tear apart a Harley and put it back
together, couldn't boil water to save his life.

And funny story - when my youngest son was about 13 hubby and I went away
for the weekend, and we left the boys home alone. Youngest son *had* to do
laundry that weekend, because he had a football game and needed to wash his
own uniform.

Before we left, I had given him instructions on how to run the washer and
told him "seperate the colors, and add bleach only to the whites".

I called from the hotel and asked him if everything had gone ok with his
laundry. He said "Yeah, but I didn't get to do all of it - I only had one or
two reds and one or two greens, but I did a whole load of blues and a load
of whites."

He thought "seperate the colors" meant *seperate* the colors.

He's much better now.

Kim

Old April 2nd 05, 10:19 PM
CNYstitcher

well, the youngest is only a bit younger than my youngest.....didn't
know yours were all grown and gone....see how fogged my brain gets at
times? lol

Larisa...just let me know when you move!

Kim wrote:
CNYstitcher wrote:

SO, if we aren't that far away, why have we never gotten together for
kid play-date thingy or a sitching day?? BTW, I don't remember ages
of
your little ones..mine ar 18 months (TODAY!!!) and almost 5 (on the
25th).

Well, we haven't moved there yet. Soon I hope. (Two Weeks! - the contractor
has been saying that for a month now, though, so don't hold your breath!)
Then we *will* get together for a stitching day! That will be *great* fun!
We can trade material too! I have tons and tons and tons.

And all my kids are grown and gone - my youngest just started law school in
September at Chapel Hill (hence the great move and new house project - we
really needed a smaller house.) I'm quite sure when I post about kids
clothes and embroidery it's for my nieces - I have tons of nieces and I'm
always sewing something for them. I take them for a weekend or school
vacation and I've been trying to teach them some of the lost arts - sewing,
knitting, embroidery and stuff. I love teaching them those skills. And since
I had three boys - well, I never had a girl to teach. My youngest niece is
just over a year and the oldest is 10 (and she's getting pretty good at
knitting and using my embroidery machine!)

I can't wait to move - I'll let you know when we finally do and we can set
up some stitching time!

Kim

OT - little bitty anxiety attacks Jalynne Beads 47 September 4th 04 06:02 PM
Good vibes needed S. Burwash Beads 24 September 2nd 03 09:34 PM
Haunted House Update: OT Tink Beads 50 August 9th 03 04:53 PM