House Update, OT/CP

Old April 1st 05, 02:08 AM
CNYstitcher

Default House Update, OT/CP

Well, we finally got the inspection report on the "dream" house. There
is visible rot in the wall studs of the basement, which would require
the house be jacked/supported so that the walls could be taken out and
rebuilt. We're talking several thousand dollars worth of work. So, we
retracted our bid on it, now I have to get in touch with opur buyers
agent to get our $500 check back, and call the credit union to have them
refund the $650 that they took out to process the preapproval.

We are currently looking into some different companies to do an addition
on teh back of the house, and I will be having contractors come in to
see if it would be possible to move the wall between DS and DDs rooms to
make them more equal in size so that it would be easier to have a twin
bed when DD gets a bit bigger (right now, her dresser, crib, and
bookcase are all that fit!!).

The big things to get done this year are the fence aroudn the back y ard
and a playset/swingset for the children. Will be calling around for
that tomorrow as well.

Larisa, feeling *much* better and not having a continuing migraine
Old April 1st 05, 02:26 AM
maryd

Now we all know why the prospective buyers didn't like your house..... you
aren't suppose to move at this time.

--
Mary
.. .
:

Old April 1st 05, 02:48 AM
BEI Design

CNYstitcher wrote:
Well, we finally got the inspection report on the "dream"
house. There is visible rot in the wall studs of the basement,
which would require the house be jacked/supported so that the
walls could be taken out and rebuilt. We're talking several
thousand dollars worth of work.

Ah, Larisa, major bummer!!!

The big things to get done this year are the fence aroudn the
back y ard and a playset/swingset for the children. Will be
calling around for that tomorrow as well.

Larisa, feeling *much* better and not having a continuing
migraine

Glad you had a fall-back plan, too bad about the "dream house",
though.

--
Beverly
delete nospam and .invalid to reply

Old April 1st 05, 02:49 AM
Juno

Silver Lining! Aren't you glad your first showing didn't go to great.? Still
keep opening your windows. It's much healthier for everyone, including your
cats.
Juno

Old April 1st 05, 08:19 AM
Sharon Harper

We faced this problem (move or add on) last year- no year before (2003). We
did all the sums as to which would be better (move, build or extend) and
came to the conclusion that (a) we couldn't find a pre-existing house to
fill our needs and (b) we would be $5000 better off to build our dream
house. The only problem was - location. And we decided that our current
location was worth way more than $5000 so we stayed and extended and we are
soooooo happy. We have exactly what we want. However, NOW, we found the
house we would have moved for LOL but we are happy, and again, the location
wasn't as good as what we have.

Queen of Down Under
quicker)

Old April 1st 05, 12:13 PM
Viviane

I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason. You were destined
to stay in your house so get it fixed up the way you want and enjoy it.

Old April 1st 05, 02:12 PM
enigma

CNYstitcher wrote in
:

Larisa, feeling *much* better and not having a continuing
migraine

oh, good. i hope building the addition/moving the wall helps
make your current house more of the dream house. if the wall
between the rooms isn't a load bearing wall, it should be a
fairly easy, although messy, thing to move.
where in CNY are you? we're looking at houses around Rome,
north through St. Lawrence county brrrr!, west through Wayne
county. i'd prefer being in Oswego, up near Fair Haven area...
lee
Old April 1st 05, 03:27 PM
CNYstitcher

That's the thought line we are taking....did a LOT of soul searching and
realized we weren't supposed to be doing this...the kids need to be
where we are right now...maybe some day. DH said we might be abl;e to
afford something like this in our 60s-70s, to which I responded that at
that time, we are supposed to be in an RV and touring the country...lol

Larisa

Old April 1st 05, 03:43 PM
CNYstitcher

we are in LIverpool, north and west of Syracuse, in Onondaga county.
NOt the most fabulous place, but better than 95% of the places I've
lived in teh past!! The only thing I miss in our neighborhood would be
sidewalks. our utility lines are all underground, so that makes it a
little prettier than most areas, but the kids all have to walk in the
street, and most (teenagers) walk right down the middle sigh.

enigma wrote:

CNYstitcher wrote in
:

Old April 1st 05, 07:31 PM
Michelle in NJ

So sorry to hear about having to go through that situation.. but as you guys
said you just weren't supposed to move ..

it was kinda funny when you said that the inspectors found problems in the
house you wanted... see .. we bought our house 3 years ago.. and our
inspectors didn't find anything wrong (the house was only 2 at the time) ..
but since we bought the house, the ground that we are sitting on has settled
so much that the entire house is shifted.. all doors/windows don't work,
garage sank over 9 inches.. all moulding around the house is all messed up..
I've been fighting with the warranty company for over 2 years to fix the
problems. and FINALLY they are going to do something about it. it's taken
them a year from the time they said they would fix it to the time i saw an
actual plan that i could send out for bids.. the fix is over 135,000 to
jack the house, fix the foundation, put new supports and put it back.. so it
could have cost you a LOT more then just a few thousand.... no one wants to
have to go through this

[...]

OT - little bitty anxiety attacks Jalynne Beads 47 September 4th 04 06:02 PM
Good vibes needed S. Burwash Beads 24 September 2nd 03 09:34 PM
Haunted House Update: OT Tink Beads 50 August 9th 03 04:53 PM