Length of time to tumble rocks

Old January 10th 04, 05:06 PM
roxan

Harry,
Look for a vibrating tumbler for shot gun shells they are a little cheaper
and I got mine from Cableas in there bargain barn for $75.00, works great.
Roxan
"Harry" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 14:35:53 GMT, "C Ryman"

wrote:

Hi Harry,
Can rocks be polished in a sonic vibrating machine? I would like

something
that can do silver polishing with steel shot and polish very small

amounts
of rock like opal. My regular tumbler is a piece of crap that squeaks

all
the time; I can tell the lid wont last long. I haven't been able to fine
any real specific details on rock polishing with vibratory or sonic
machines.
Thanks

First and formost... oil that squeaky guy... he will love you for it!
Yes... you can polish rocks and or anything else in a vibatory tumbler. If

you put a square rock into a tumbler it will
come out round. If you put a square rock into a vibratory tumbler it will

come out square, just smooth.
There are several Advantages and Disadvantages of both tumbling and

vibratory. If money allows
I would recommend purchasing both. NO... I do not have a vibratory

tumbler, but you can
bet as soon as I can afford one there will be one in my house. Word of

caution!!! They are VERY noisy!
Why? Because they "shake" and not turn. So they tend to create a lot of

vibrations.. hench the name. lol
Here is an excellent webpage to expolore your options and to also

determine what size tumbler will fit your
needs and as in my case... your wallet. or purse.
http://www.pearsons-uslj.com/tumblers.htm
Another note to remember: Different tumblers require different grits... as

also... diferent rocks will also require
different grits as well as different polishes. As you explore the world of

tumbling you will find out just how much fun
and how fasinating it is. As you progress throught the stages and see the

transformations, you will be amazed.
The glory and the wide-eyed stare comes from the end of the polishing

stage. When you open that tumbler and pour the
contents out and while you are running water over the items and you see

that glow... the only thing I have come close to
the words to describe what you will see is what I have imagined many a

pirate has saw... Pure Beautiful Treasure! )

My most recent and treasured item I have bought is my 12 pound Lorton

BEHEMOTH tumbler and I got it he
http://www.kingsleynorth.com/tumblersr.html
You can place a 3 pound coffee can inside of the barrel! I was totally

amazed at the size of this monster!

Here is a good source to check for purchase of a vibratory tumbler, as I

get ALL my supplies and tumblers
from here now. Excellent service and very quick shipping and the prices

can't be beat.
http://www.kingsleynorth.com/tumblersv.html

Hot dog can that man ramble or what? lol I do hope I answered your

question as I tend to wonder of into my own little
world and forget why I went there. heheheh
My Ebay Auctions are at http://snipurl.com/3okw

Old January 10th 04, 05:58 PM
roxan

You do have to be careful to make sure it is of good quality to do the job.
Some are really low end vibrators, but the one I got from Cabelas is a
little more heavy duty and would have sold for well over $150.
Roxan
"Harry" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 12:06:57 -0500, "roxan"

wrote:

Harry,
Look for a vibrating tumbler for shot gun shells they are a little

cheaper
and I got mine from Cableas in there bargain barn for $75.00, works

great.
Roxan

Oh wow... thank you so much. I have been searching for an inexpensive one
to just try one. When I get the funds I will mostly likely check them out.

If I don't
like it I can always put it on Ebay. lol
Thans.

Harry

My Ebay Auctions are at http://snipurl.com/3okw

Old January 10th 04, 06:00 PM
Harry

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 12:58:19 -0500, "roxan" wrote:

I have very limited knowledge of vibratory tumblers and my biggest question
would be... How can you tell how many pounds of rocks it will hold? I want to
try one, because in only takes days, instead of weeks to finish a load.

Harry

You do have to be careful to make sure it is of good quality to do the job.
Some are really low end vibrators, but the one I got from Cabelas is a
little more heavy duty and would have sold for well over $150.
Roxan
.. .

Old January 10th 04, 07:51 PM
Debbie B

Or is that "tumble on" LOL

--
Debbie (New Mexico)
Life is too short

---

Old January 10th 04, 08:05 PM
Harry

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 19:51:27 GMT, "Debbie B" wrote:

Or is that "tumble on" LOL

Hehehehhe.... "rock on" - "tumble on" - "keep on rockin"
Reminds me of Wayne's World. lol

Harry
My Ebay Auctions are at http://snipurl.com/3okw
Old January 10th 04, 08:38 PM
Dr. Sooz

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 12:58:19 -0500, "roxan" wrote:

I have very limited knowledge of vibratory tumblers and my biggest question
would be... How can you tell how many pounds of rocks it will hold? I want to
try one, because in only takes days, instead of weeks to finish a load.

Harry

Harry, the way this posts makes it look like you are Roxann (or whoever you are
replying to).
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old January 10th 04, 11:11 PM
Christina Peterson

Thanks for the site and for the information, Harry. The vibrating tumbler
is what I'd want most because it's best for polishing metal/jewelry. Your
input helps me understand the differences.

Tina