Putting quilting on hold

Old September 21st 03, 06:08 PM
Dr. Quilter

why is DH not happy about it? thinks it is not masculine or something
like that? kids love textures.... how about those nice fabric books,
everybody gets one of those!

CNYstitcher wrote:

You can do what I did for Tom...cut a fairly decent size piece of
unbleacehd muslin, finish the edges with differen textured trims and let
him play with it while you sew....of course, Tom *still* loves to play
with fabric at 3yrs, and DH isn't too happy about it (long story), but
he'll stay next to me and think of different things the fabric could
be...latest is superhero capes.

jules wrote:

Good to hear it is just on hold Jan, with Luke being 10 months old I am
rapidly approaching that can't do anything in the day stage. Although he
loves to sit in his highchair and watch me at the sewing machine or
ironing
board *g* Don't know how much longer it will amuse him for though

Keep that fabric fresh and mind it doesn't sneak out the house while
you re
not looking. Enjoy some good chocolate when you can't enjoy sewing *g*

--
Jules
"Jan Dunaway" wrote in message
ink.net...

Thanks for the encouragement, and by no means am I giving it up, but "on
hold" does fit. My daughter is 19 months so anything sharp or chokable
can not be worked on while she is up. Bummer for me, but hey, fabric
does not go bad ;-)

Jan

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old September 21st 03, 06:09 PM
Dr. Quilter

Gosh, the dog eating sounds to me a lot worse than the cocaine dealing!

Polly Esther wrote:

Jan, I've shared this horror here before but you may have missed it. Our
neighbors sold cocaine for their "day" job. At night, they climbed fences
and stole dogs for Sunday dinner. The narcotics officers showed me the
pictures of the leftovers (along with the cocaine) in their freezers. We've
moved waaaaaay out in the Swamp with just alligators. Moving for the safety
of your little one will be a very smart move. Polly

Jan Dunaway wrote in message
nk.net...

We have a neighbor that empties their pool into our backyard, runs their
entire guttering system to same spot and then refuses to lock their
fence into their pool because that just wouldn't be neighborly.... :-p
I have a 19 month old child.... I don't want her to drown or play in
stagnant water. Yes we have talked to them and tried the various legal
routes. Behind us we have a neighbor that has set up deer targets and
is shooting real arrows around. I called the police, no ordinance
against it. Until my dogs or child is hurt they won't address it. Like
I'm putting either out there. :-) I know some people wouldn't take
these as seriously as my husband and I do, but I kind of think a lot of
my child. Sad when we just moved in November. Thanks for the kind

thoughts!

Jan

Old September 21st 03, 06:25 PM
Dr. Quilter

Good idea Taria! Some of you guys know that I work in malaria. Since I
am going for my green card both as an 'extraordinary scientist' (hence
my signature) and under the category of national interest (meaning, I am
a highly trained person in my field and it is in the best interest of
the US to keep me), I have been doing a little bit of research to figure
out how important malaria is as a health issue for Americans, since it
sounds so remote, something that happens mostly to poor kids in Africa.
I am not sure how many people know about the scope of this disease,
40% of the population of the world is at risk, there are around 300
million infections per year (yeah, you read right) and over 1 million
deaths per year, like I said, mostly kids under 5 in Africa, who have
not yet developed any immunity. Besides the obvious dangers to tourists
and to troops deployed to malarious regions, you must have heard about
the 30% of troops in Liberia having it in spite of having being
prescribed antimalarial drugs (wrong kind? did they not take them? it's
under study - besides, mefloquine, the drug they got, causes
hallucinations - kind of scary to think of a soldier with a gun on
hallucinogenic drugs, uh?), I wanted to see how possible it was for your
average american citizen to get it.

There is malaria in Mexico and Central America (and it was only
controlled here in the US in this century, e.g. we had it here in
Seattle). If you throw in global warming plus the fast spead of West
Nile, it gets scary. But I was surprised to learn that we have all the
pieces: vectors (anopheline mosquitoes), occasionally the right weather
conditions of warmth AND stagnant water pools, plus a few infected
individuals (eg. people that have been to areas where there is malaria
and are infected, that is military personnel again, tourists,
immigrants. In fact, there have been cases of transimission here in the
US, in Texas, Virginia and Florida, to name a few.... of course, they
have been quickly controlled, it was Plasmodium vivax, which is not
deadly like Plasmodium falciparum, and thankfully not the drug resistant
strains....

This has been a public announcement of your PhD in residency... )

Taria wrote:

Would you really have to disclose either? Nothing has
yet happened with the targets. In CA there are definite
rules about drainage and such. If there isn't a law against
doing it there is nothing to disclose but her dislike. Vector
control would be the angle I would go to on the stagnant water.
Mosquitos a definite health problem. The rules about pools
(high desert of CA) is that large gate must be kept locked but
walk through gates have to have self closing latches but not
locked. Mine are all padlocked all the time though. I complain
about all our codes in this state but many are there to protect us.
Problems with bad neighbors is they can be everywhere. Keeping
your family safe a definite top priority.
Taria

Lisa Ellis wrote:

Jan, I don't know what the disclosure laws are in your state, but in
California you would have to disclose these problems to any potential
buyer of the property. If you don't disclose the problems, you could be
sued. You should talk to your real esate agent.

lisae

Old September 21st 03, 11:48 PM
Pati Cook

My dad had malaria when he was a kid. Lived next to the Okeefenokee (SP?????)
swamp growing up.

Pati, in Phx

Old September 22nd 03, 12:46 AM
nana2b

My Dad had Malaria from being in the Phillipines in WW2. No flair ups thank
g-d! But he remembers being very sick and losing 40lbs, down to 98lbs.

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old September 22nd 03, 01:18 AM
Polly Esther

Back before the earth cooled, I had malaria. Spent an entire summer in bed.
I think they gave me quinine. That's when I learned to crochet; made world's
largest, ruffled rug. Some of my rounds didn't exactly lie flat. My
grandmothers did their best to keep me entertained with quiet needlework.
God bless them. Polly

Old September 22nd 03, 03:25 AM
Taria

During the hardest fought WWII battles my dad was in the Army
and sent to India on mosquito control. There was an air base
there. I guess if a mosquito to be found in the area there was hell
to pay. Not exactly battle duty but important I guess.
Taria

Old September 22nd 03, 07:03 AM
juliasb(nospam)

Believe it or not I do put my quilting on hold from time to time. I
have other crafty interest that I want to devote some time to here and
there and depending on the season or what needs to be accomplished,
mostly for personal gratification, I will put down the quilting and all
stitching. Since I began quilting I believe the longest I have put up
all signs of quilting was for about 6-8 months. I didn't stitch or even
buy a piece of fabric during that period of time. For most of my crafty
things it is this way.
As of right now I haven't picked up a crochet hook for several years
to do anything. My yarns (not as much as fabric) are always close at
hand so I can pick up and go. The same with knitting. Though I haven't
done any serious knitting since I taught my oldest daughter to knit
years ago. I am 'big time' into rubber stamping and pergamano, but even
these things right now are taking second fiddle to the quilting.
However when I am in high gear with my stamping and paper crafting, you
can be sure that the threads are replaced with scraps of paper everywhere.
Even though I am continuously stitching right now doing some hand
quilting and finishing up UFO's and such, I haven't really laid out or
done a new quilt top for some time. (except for the drunkard's path that
was so frustrating for me).
juliasb

Joy Quilts wrote:
I was reading Medium Gnome's thread on her Dear Jane blocks and the topic of
putting quilting on hold came up. Which brings me to ask you all...have you
ever put your quilting on hold? Why? Did you store your fabrics and
quilting goodies or get rid of them? How long was it until you got back to
quilting?

--
A Joy in Hawaii
http://community.webshots.com/user/joyquilts

--
come and journey with me...
from darkness into New Life

Old September 22nd 03, 07:33 AM
Piglet

It was accepted as a recurring condition in the Ozarks when my mom was a kid
(1920's, 1930's), so not so far back.....

--pig

On 9/21/03 12:25 PM, opined:

Old September 25th 03, 10:20 PM
Joy Quilts

Night shift where the kids sleep all night. I crank out the paperwork, do
extra work, and still just sit there most of the night. So it's good to
have something to do.

--
A Joy in Hawaii
http://community.webshots.com/user/joyquilts
"LN (remove NOSPAM)" wrote in message
Where do you work?

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

"Joy Quilts" wrote in message
. ..
That's got to be me, too! Right now it's scrapbooking...um...at work
because there's nothing to do (serious!). I finished 10 pages last

night.
NO JOKE.

quilting windfall CNYstitcher Quilting 5 September 11th 03 02:00 AM
OK, Here's MY Life Story as it Applies to Quilting... [email protected] Quilting 10 September 3rd 03 09:07 PM
Quilting Saves My Sanity - How about you? Carolyn from DE Quilting 12 August 27th 03 12:22 AM
Quilting and what I've been up to this summer frood Quilting 3 August 15th 03 12:14 AM
Quilting Thread question Carol Wolfe Quilting 9 July 15th 03 05:20 AM