Question - Bead Loom

Old July 8th 03, 12:10 AM
Dr. Sooz

Yes, they're off-loom stitches. If you're in the Bay Area (San Francisco
area), come over and I will teach you -- except not brick stitch, which I don't
like and don't know well. Come on over!

Are Peyote and brick stitch and other things of that nature
called weaving?

~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Old July 8th 03, 12:12 AM
Dr. Sooz

Okay -- who wrote this? I'm *so* confused; this sounds like nearly every
single person on this NG. The reference to purple means only a couple of
people would be excluded, but other than that.......
;-)

I do tend to go overboard. Do we know each other? I feel like a cartoon rat
attracted to all those glittery things and find myself gathering, hoarding,
even to the extent of buying pounds of beads on EBay and separating them to
stretch my post employment budget. One box becams one case, then two and
three, and Oooh look at THIS bead!! Ohmygosh look at THOSE!! (intake of
breath, palpitations) I need purples..

~~
Sooz
-------

Old July 8th 03, 12:15 AM
Christina Peterson

Doing a portrait in beads is much harder than doing one with cross stitch,
because in cross stitch you can do diagonals and blended tones (one leg of
the cross in one color, and one in another).

Tina

"CLP" wrote in message
I am appealing to the tenderhearted teacher in you to kindly answer some
neophyte questions, hoping not to be a bother.

I look at all your fantastic bead weaving projects, hear your tips and
techniques and admit readily that I have never tried this - weaving,

peyote
(ok, I tried peyote in the 60s but it had nothing to do with beads - or

did
it?), brick stuff... I've ordered some books and perused the bead links
(thanks Doc), but nothing is ever as good as hands on info from the

artists.
As an interested student, can you tell me, do you use bead looms or can

this
be done freehand with T-Pins and a board? The second question I have is -

if
I can no longer do counted cross stitch because I find it nigh onto
impossible to see the warp & weft in a canvas, but I can see fine enough

for
stringing beads, will I be able to do this bead weaving, do you think? And
another question, Is there any reason why I couldn't take photos of my
children and flowers and things like that and put them into Photoshop and
make a graph from the pictures so I could do bead portraiture? I know I

can
do it for needlepoint, but - alas, the eyesight...

I appreciate anything you can tell me. One of these days I'll be brave
enough to post some pictures of my work for youto see.

Live and be well,
Christy

Old July 8th 03, 12:23 AM
CLP

Tina - have you tried it and it didn't work? I'm interested. You're right, I
haven't seen the range of color in beads that exists in threads, but I
haven't been to bead shows where the whole gamut of colors are available, so
i don't know about that. What about removing the color from the photo and
doing sepia, duotone or greyscale? Ooh - or purple and bluescale or
aquascale or mmmm coralscale or autumntones scale - Somebody stop me!!

Old July 8th 03, 02:25 AM
CLP

WOW does that ever look good! I hate to take work away from people, but I
sure wish I could see a close-up of this loom to see if I could make one. It
looks like copper tubing, wing nuts and the like. $237 before shipping is
way out of my range right now. (So is $100!)

"Mary Shafer" wrote in message
news
On 07 Jul 2003 18:42:24 GMT, uppies (Dr. Sooz)
wrote:

And if you're going to buy a loom, get a Larry The Loom -- that's what

all my
loom-weaving pals say. They bemoan the money spent (wasted!) on any

other
looms they bought before the got Larry.

Get a Mirrex with the shed lifter. You can use it for real weaving as
well as bead weaving. Get the extensions, too. I love mine. It's
fast, too.

Mary

"Turn to kill, not to engage." LCDR Willie Driscoll, USN

Old July 8th 03, 02:27 AM
Christina Peterson

I haven't tried it, but when I've seen it by experienced people it even
looks "lumpy" (with a few exceptions, and when the beads are tiny).

If you look at cross stitch patterns, though, it shows several ways of
making the stitch that effectively blend the EXACT colors (threads) that are
being worked with. Very different from finding a third bead that doesn't
have any extra chemical/color changes from the other two.

Tina

Old July 8th 03, 02:38 AM
Deirdre S.

I was wondering what the C was the initial for...

Welcome, Christy.

And off-loom beadweaving doesn't use warp and weft threads.

You work with a single thread at a time (occasionally with two threads
and two needles) and encorporate beads one or a few at a time. Kind of
like crochet, where you work one thread into a fabric by adding on
rows of stitches to a base row.

I recommend checking out some of the tutorials on various stitches
available in Sooz' Magical Mystery Tour, AKA the Links List. That
should give you a first-exposure idea of what off-loom stitches are
like and how they are done.

Deirdre
On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 22:57:52 GMT, "CLP" wrote:

Oh well, the time has come to fess up. My name is Christy and I am a
beadaholic.

Old July 8th 03, 02:57 AM
Diana Curtis

"CLP" wrote . One box becams one case, then two and
three, and Oooh look at THIS bead!! Ohmygosh look at THOSE!! (intake of
breath, palpitations) I need purples..

I see the weaving and amulet bags and crochet necklaces and have to
practically jumpstart my heart. I see the lampwork or whatever this torch
meets glass and becomes amazing scenes and faces and color combinations is
called - and I am stunned to silence! I feel like a prisoner who's been

released from death row! I want to do
everything, try everything, learn, learn, learn. This takes up so much

less
space than my looms and wheel and pottery stuff, knitting, crocheting,
mosaics and all my other endeavors always have. It's win, win!

.. Now you think I'm totally goofy, right?

Nah, what Im thinking it I totally like you. ;-)
Diana, also a newbie magpie into purple and whatifs.

Old July 8th 03, 04:56 AM
alia

i get that feeling from you sooz!!! you remind me artistically of
my mom, who works in bronze and gourds and she can paint and do all
the things i can't do... and she always talks about how amazed she is
that i an sit down and do the things i do... she is asymetrical, and
i am so totally symetrical... she likes freeform, and i like knowing
just about everything i am going to do before i do it. i dont even
start on something usually until i have thought about it for three or
four days and planned out step by step what i will do. my roots are
in origami, i think thats why.... but i can see you and her getting
together and having a very similar way of thinking, artistically. i
have always gotten that 'vibe' from you!!

clp, the free form stuff is not loom weaving, loom weaving can only be
done on a loom.... i think what people are refering to with free form
etc is like peyote stitch and brick stitch and some of the other non
loom forms.... they are very different, but one of them does look a
lot like looming when u r done..... i think its brick stitch, but i
am not sure, its either brick or square, i only loom and do peyote so
far... yes!! buy books!! try stuff!!! i recommend u check out
the library, i get all the best books there for free, and i learn tons
from them. best luck!

alia

Challenge Question SmartAlecBlonde4 Beads 3 July 6th 03 11:26 PM
Xmas ornament pattern Laurie Beads 1 July 6th 03 04:21 PM
AD-July 26-27, 2003 Atlanta, GA Dixie Classic Intergalactic Bead Festival Phineas T Beadd Director National Bead Society Beads 0 July 2nd 03 09:06 PM
AD-July 19-20, 2003 Tallahassee, FL Gulf States Intergalactic Bead Festival Phineas T Beadd Director National Bead Society Beads 0 July 2nd 03 09:01 PM
AD-July 12-13, 2003 Orlando, FL Florida Summer Classic Intergalactic Bead Festival Phineas T Beadd Director National Bead Society Beads 0 July 2nd 03 08:54 PM