Beginner's Questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 30th 03, 10:48 PM
jk

"JG" wrote in message
. ..
"jk" wrote in message
et...

"A. L. H." wrote in message
news:UN_xb.150967$Dw6.616685@attbi_s02...

[...]

Yellow pages..... GLASS, STAINED and LEADED. Your local SG retailer

is
the best place to learn and get your stuff, and they really need your
busines. Good luck!

JK Sinrod NY
Sinrod Stained Glass
www.sinrodstudios.com

They may "really need" your business, yes, but I think most here can
attest to the fact that there are "good" local retailers and
"bad"--indeed, horrid--local retailers. I live about 15 miles from a
decent-sized (pop. ~500K) city, and the dominant retailer there (there
are only two; one's quite small) gouges customers on everything from
class fees to materials/equipment/tools. I do much, much better buying
on the 'net, and better yet when I occasionally tag along with a friend
who can buy from a wholesaler who's about 50 miles away. As for
classes, you might check with some local art centers (the one in my
community offers a variety of art classes, including at least one SG
class each quarter) and/or community colleges. You *might* be slightly
better off taking an introductory course from a retailer, if only
because they likely have a variety of tools/equipment available for
students' use/testing. (This isn't true about the exploitative retailer
I mentioned; they, for example, only carry Toyo cutters.)

Speaking for the consumer,
JG

What you call gouging, they probably call making a living. You have every
right to buy where you want, but realize that the superstores put the mom
and pop shops out of business. Next the net stores will put them out. The
way it works is they sell at a small markup until all the smaller
competition is out of business, then simply raise their prices to where ever
they want. You have to decide if it's worth your while to save a few bucks,
and not have the convenience of a local place to shop ever again. It's a
tough choice I know. I sell at high prices compared to the net because I
need to, to pay my rent. But I'm there to teach, and demo every tool. You
can hold the glass up to the light and touch it at my place. Is that worth
paying extra? That's your choice. As far as wholesalers that sell to retail
customers, they are not long for any business.

--
JK Sinrod NY
Sinrod Stained Glass