Bali Silver -- What's the Deal?

Old August 1st 03, 08:00 PM
Deirdre S.

If you figure out either of those things, keep me posted. I would love
to be your first customer, if you decide to sell any of your
handiwork.

Deirdre

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 07:11:48 -0700, "Karen_AZ"
wrote:

I LOOOOOOOVE copper! I'm planning to take a course in granulation this fall
(in silver) and I'm fervently hoping I can convert what I learn into copper,
to make some large-scale Bali-esque beads.

I grabbed a bag of ornate "copper" beads someplace several months ago, and
was disappointed to discover that they were plastic with a metallic coating.
If I had half a clue what I was doing I'd make molds have have them cast,
they're so cool. sigh

Old August 3rd 03, 05:48 AM
Beadseeker

I like pewter also - in charms especially. They also have a lot of really
pretty pewter clasps out these days.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Kandice,

Have you seen the catalog for Quest Bead and Cast in NYC? They have
wonderful charms and clasps in silvertone or goldtone silver - really nice
color and texture. The catalog is $6.00, available on their website at
www.questbeads.com The other thing I like about their charms is that almost
all of them are double-sided. Minimum order is $200 for your first order,
$75.00 for future orders. They have a lot of animals, shoes, sea creatures,
mythical objects. Really great stuff.
Patti

Old August 3rd 03, 07:27 AM
Dr. Sooz

Shoes. I like stuff like that -- unusual charms.

Have you seen the catalog for Quest Bead and Cast in NYC? They have
wonderful charms and clasps in silvertone or goldtone silver - really nice
color and texture. The catalog is $6.00, available on their website at
www.questbeads.com The other thing I like about their charms is that almost
all of them are double-sided. Minimum order is $200 for your first order,
$75.00 for future orders. They have a lot of animals, shoes, sea creatures,
mythical objects. Really great stuff.
Patti

~~
Sooz
-------
"Selective deafness, it's a wonderful thing." ~Kathy N-V
ESBC
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
~ Bead Notes: Beading information A - Z
http://www.lampwork.net/beadnotes.html

Old August 3rd 03, 08:02 AM
Kandice Seeber

Oh, man!! Cool stuff!!!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old August 19th 03, 03:20 PM
Devin @ Artbeads.com

Hi there. I just found this forum and think it's great!
There are some very good Bali-style beads coming out of India now.
There are a few things to be aware of, however. If the beads are being
produced in Jaipur, there is a good chance that they are not sterling
silver, which is 92.5% pure. Most likely, the content is under 85%,
which is probably totally acceptable in most cases.
Another big difference is antiquing. Most of the "Bali beads" coming
out of India and also from Turkey are antiqued with a black die,
whereas good Bali beads made in Bali (Indonesia) are oxidized with
liver of sulfer and then polished. This is a very labor-intensive
process, but it shows.
Hope this was helpful.
Devin
www.artbeads.com
Old August 19th 03, 04:14 PM
mkahogan

Devin,
You are probably going to rub a lot of people on this group the wrong way
with this. There is a group consciousness of supporting artisans work.
Many people here refuse to patronize the new mass produced sources because
of the effect on the true artisans. I think that is because we know how
much goes into making something by hand, both from the heart and from the
effort. We would hate to see people say, "I can go to Target and get a
necklace for 1/10th of what you are charging", why should I pay what you are
charging?" It's sort a a Karma thing.
I do appreciate the information, however. One can never be too well
informed about the industry.
KathyH

Old August 21st 03, 03:21 PM
BeckiBead

Devin -- thank you for the explanation. I wondered why the "blackening" looked
different, and now I know!

Becki
But what it sounded like
when she yelled was, "She prefers dicks". --Tina