what do you think of this advice about soldering iron tips?

Old June 16th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default what do you think of this advice about soldering iron tips?

uh yeah...anyone that know anything about repairs knows that doing that
is the cheap mans way out and is a big disservice to the client.
Beside, when was the last time you made anything bigger than a 10"
boat?

Scratch

wrote:
- but when operated with a low flame and used carefully is
exceptionally good at soldering lead seams on still vertically
installed leaded windows. It's use is demonstrated in our
repair/restoration classes.

Dennis Brady

Victorian Art Glass -
http://victorianartglass.biz
DeBrady Glass - http://debrady.com
Glass Campus - http://glasscampus.com

Old June 17th 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Vic" wrote in message
ups.com...
" Flux, or worse yet rosin core solder is nasty stuff and should be
avoided." --
JK Sinrod
www.sinrodstudios.com
www.MyConeyIslandMemories

I clean and cool the tips with a dip of rosin and solder. Been doing
over 20 years, I've seen no problems. Rosin was a common stained glass
flux. A number of windows (100+years old) I've restored still had
rosin residue between the leads, with no bad effect. The problem with
rosin, as I see it, is that it is hard to clean and a bit messy to work
with.

Vic

Oh I know it works, my issue is the god awful stench that burns the eyes
and lungs. It's not mistaken for anything else once you've smelled it from
an old window. That stuff can't be doing your body any good.

--

JK Sinrod
www.sinrodstudios.com

Old June 17th 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Glassman wrote:
"Vic" wrote in message
[...]

I love the smelland smoke of rosin in the morning.

Old June 17th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Vic" wrote in message
ups.com...

Glassman wrote:
"Vic" wrote in message
[...]

Personally I love women, but hate fish.... ; )

Old June 17th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Please explain this...i get slammed for sending an OT message, but you
guys are allowed to trash a perfectly good subject line?

where's the justice?

arlene
JK@work wrote:
"Vic" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old June 17th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

wrote in message
ups.com...
Please explain this...i get slammed for sending an OT message, but you
guys are allowed to trash a perfectly good subject line?

where's the justice?

It ain't a perfect world. Get over it.

Old June 17th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

wrote in message
ups.com...
Please explain this...i get slammed for sending an OT message, but you
guys are allowed to trash a perfectly good subject line?

where's the justice?

arlene

Well, for one, they aren't top posters, they don't need my help, and
they're guys...that's a joke, on topic too!
and you call what I typed "slammed"? and what is this "allowed" stuff?

nobody said you couldn't treat this place like your own private chat room,
as long as you stay on topic. We take this **** serious. and yup, I don't
tiptoe around much, but I don't in real life either.

It's called "street justice", it's very selective.

If you take all this newsgroup stuff to heart, you might toughen up, it gets
real fun around the holidays when everybody is stressed!

Old June 18th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

i always top post and find it very difficult to follow when messages are
interposed or i have to scroll down to the bottom. Being a dinosaur, when it
comes to netiquette , excuse the question but why is top posting so bad?m

Old June 18th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"michele" wrote in message
i always top post and find it very difficult to follow when messages are
interposed or i have to scroll down to the bottom. Being a dinosaur, when

it
comes to netiquette , excuse the question but why is top posting so bad?m

Michele, sweetheart, you can post wherever you want. Grumpy old Java can
just get over it. ;)